2021 CX-5 Signature Wheels

After a pothole incident, I'm trying to get a new wheel for my 2021 CX-5 Signature. I can't believe how difficult this has been, as no one seems to be able to give me a part number or definitive description of the wheel color. This style wheel is used in different finishes on multiple CX-5 trim levels and I've variously seen it on-line being offered in "Grey", "Metallic Grey", "Charcoal", "Dark Silver", "Hyper Silver" and "Black" and most of those places punt and tell me to go to a dealer to be sure I get the right color wheel.

The nearest dealer is farther away than I want to travel, given I have at least three tire shops within minutes of me, but I bit the bullet and called the dealer. Even the dealer said I'd have to bring the car in so they could be sure to get me the correct wheel. Apparently the part number on the wheel only refers to the casting and does not take the finish into account.

This seems crazy to me! The 2021 CX-5 Signature trim was only offered in one wheel finish and if the dealer can't tell me what the part number is, who can? I don't want to order something that expensive, big and heavy, only to have it come in the wrong color and ship it back. I shouldn't have to physically take the car to a dealer just to find out what I need to order. Is this just the dealer trying to force me to buy parts only from them?--I can get the wheel and have it installed cheaper, with less hassle and time-wasting if I can know what to order...

Does anybody know the real part number, or what Mazda itself calls this wheel color, or have a link to an on-line seller they know sells this wheel?

I've also got a 2021 CX-5 Signature but I don't know the answer to your question. The window sticker describes the wheels as having a "Dark Silver Finish" but the online sites for Mazda parts show the following 3 colors for 19" X 7" wheels: Bright Metallic, Silver Metallic, and Black Metallic.

Mazda Wheels

And, of course, none of those names at on-line sites for Mazda parts would come to mind to describe the actual color IMHO. "Dark Silver" is probably the most accurate description, but if neither Mazda nor on-line suppliers use that description, how can I know what I'll end up with?

Just out of curiosity, since I *do* have my window sticker, where does it say the wheel color on it? I couldn't find it on there...

Of course, in Japan, Mazda considers what in the US is called the "Caterra Brown" interior color (or "Warm Black", as I call it) to be "Red", so I don't even trust Mazda to describe it properly. I've seen cars with Red leather interiors and no one on earth would consider "Caterra Brown" to be "Red"--I barely consider it to be brown, except under intensely bright light...

Not actually a window sticker but something I saved from the dealership's website when I bought the car

Attachments

• New 2021 Mazda CX-5 Signature AWD With Navigation _ VIN_ JM3KFBEY7M0337702 _ Stock#_ 21MT167.pdf
    41.7 KB · Views: 80
There are 3 types.
You can always call any dealer and give them the vin to confirm. Whats so hard about that?

I guess you didn't read my post...

The Mazda dealership (90-minute round-trip) told me they wouldn't be able to know what wheel to order unless I brought the car to them (then, of course, another 90-minute round-trip to pick it up after it comes in). Presumably they know what wheels go with the Signature trim, since there was only one wheel style offered, in one color.

That's what's so hard about that.

I've never experienced something like this before with any of the 20 cars I've owned over the years. The on-line parts suppliers (who have my VIN and a photo of my car) told me they can't guarantee I'll get the right wheel and should go to a dealer in order to be sure, and the dealer (who has my VIN and a photo of my car) told me they can't guarantee I'll get the right wheel unless I bring the car to them so they can see it.

All I want to do is buy a new wheel for my car at something less than full list price, have it delivered to me and have it installed by my local tire place which is quick, reasonably-priced and doesn't require an hour-and-a-half drive or have a several day/week backlog of service appointments. I live in the land of potholes, I've done this several times before with several different car brands and never had any trouble before.

Are you talking about hundreds of Mazda delears even farther than 90 minutes away who want me to bring my car to them, or is my Mazda dealer "special"? I've never had a Mazda before. Will most Mazda dealers ship me a part without having to bring my car to them to see the part in person?

Please understand, I don't care who I buy it from, but I'm not driving even 90 minutes to get this wheel, as there is simply no reason for that and I don't have the time or want to spend the money on the gas, because it is absurd. There should be a Mazda part number for the *one* wheel used on the Signature trim, I should be able to order it on-line and have it delivered to me, like every other car company's parts...

well... you want something, yes?
instead of asking the forum to understand... Call few dealers and ask them to understand... or wait if somebody knows. Either case ... good luck with your search.

Geez, I wasn't asking "the forum" to understand, I was asking you to, since you were suggesting I do something I already tried. I guess I don't see the point of calling dealers who are even farther away, especially if they want me to bring the car to them, since if I were willing to do that, I'd just go to my dealer instead.

I posted with the hope that someone might be able to answer my very specific questions:
Does anyone know the correct part number of the Signature trim wheel?
or
Does anyone know Mazda's official name for that wheel color?
or
Does anyone know a link to an on-line retailer selling the correct wheel?

Cadcamjim's reply was informative, but not definitive.

Your reply suggested I do something I already said was unsuccessful.

I'm perfectly willing to wait for a reply from someone who has a definitive answer and I realize there may be no one on the forum who is able to answer my questions.

More than likely I'll take a shot in the dark with an on-line retailer and hope for the best, but I thought I would at least try to get an answer before risking that.

I still think it is absurd the dealer can't tell me the part number.

Geez, I wasn't asking "the forum" to understand, I was asking you to, since you were suggesting I do something I already tried. I guess I don't see the point of calling dealers who are even farther away, especially if they want me to bring the car to them, since if I were willing to do that, I'd just go to my dealer instead.

I posted with the hope that someone might be able to answer my very specific questions:
Does anyone know the correct part number of the Signature trim wheel?
or
Does anyone know Mazda's official name for that wheel color?
or
Does anyone know a link to an on-line retailer selling the correct wheel?

Cadcamjim's reply was informative, but not definitive.

Your reply suggested I do something I already said was unsuccessful.

I'm perfectly willing to wait for a reply from someone who has a definitive answer and I realize there may be no one on the forum who is able to answer my questions.

More than likely I'll take a shot in the dark with an on-line retailer and hope for the best, but I thought I would at least try to get an answer before risking that.

I still think it is absurd the dealer can't tell me the part number.
@cz5gt is correct though. It might sound strange but not many Signature owners, myself included, have had to order a replacement wheel from the dealer so I'm not sure anyone here will know which part number/finish is correct.

Your best option would be to Google a list of Mazda dealers around your state and start calling the parts departments. Eventually you might find the information you need for just an hour or so of phone calls.

Then you can take the part number, order through your closest dealer parts department and if it doesn't match you're only out the trip there and back.

I don’t really think it sounds strange that no one here has the answer. I wasn’t expecting someone would, I was just hoping someone might and I could save the time and effort (and several hours of driving).

As to the original question “what’s so hard about that?”, I thought I was fairly clear the reason I ended up here is because I already tried the obvious, easy methods and got nowhere.

Like I said, I was hoping to avoid spending hours and a tank of gas on this and it was surprising to me I couldn’t get an answer, as in the 50 years I’ve been driving I never had a dealer require me to bring my car to their parts department just to order a part. If the part was specific to my particular build/trim, all the parts department ever needed was the VIN and I never had a problem.

Thank you!

I do still have a question though, as it lists the color as "silver metallic", how can I be sure it is really the "dark silver" (what I would call "gun metal") for the Signature trim.

The hard part about this wasn't finding a wheel that fits the Signature, but finding the wheel in the correct color. This same wheel is available in several finishes and they will all "fit" the Signature, but only one of them matches the other wheels.

And the Signature was only sold with that color wheel.

Oh, I think I may have found the answer, oddly enough, on the NHTSA website!

I believe the attached photo, an official document from Mazda headquarters, indicates the color is officially called "gunmetal gray" and the part # is 9965-48-7090

Attachments

• Mazda wheel.jpg
    Mazda wheel.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 41
As can be seen from the document, the same number, 9965147090, is stamped on all of the wheels of this style and is therefore not sufficient information to order the correct finish, even though a number of places told me it was.

Ahh, the plot thickens. Now I think I know why the dealer needs to see the car, as Mazda has two different vendors for this wheel, Dicastal and LHMW, and the vendor code is also stamped on the back of the wheel. In which case, if that is the only reason they need me to bring the car in, I'll just pull the wheel and send them a photo of the vendor stamp...

I may even be able to find the stamp without pulling the wheel off the car:

Attachments

• Mazda wheel2.jpg
    Mazda wheel2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 29
I may even be able to find the stamp without pulling the wheel off the car:
Bobby, I'm with you on this adventure. This is the hardest I've seen anyone trying to track down an OEM wheel.

Back in the old days with my Mitsubishis, the wheel was either made by Enkei or BBS(If you were lucky enough to have an Evo or some sort of VR"X" vehicle). One part number, one finish.

It shouldn't be this bad. I'm glad you're making progress on this and hope you find the right one!

Back