which paint for headlights?

I did black semi-gloss this weekend and I'm happy with it. DO NOT hold the peice by the screw tabs. Mine broke off while painting and broke again when it hit the ground. Quick fix with the super glue and you can't see it.
BTW, thanks to Reffoxel for sending his broken headlight so I could fix my broken headlight. It was the little plastic retaining nut that was messed up.
You know something's wrong when you pass cars and people cover their side mirror with their hand.

Glad I could help. You helped me too by getting it out of my house. I'm such a packrat it's not even funny. Just can't bring myself to throw anything away, I keep thinking "I'm gonna probably need this later". Shoot I still have a Hercules VGA isa card from the mid 90's in my office!!

eyeguy said:
I did black semi-gloss this weekend and I'm happy with it. DO NOT hold the peice by the screw tabs. Mine broke off while painting and broke again when it hit the ground. Quick fix with the super glue and you can't see it.
BTW, thanks to Reffoxel for sending his broken headlight so I could fix my broken headlight. It was the little plastic retaining nut that was messed up.
You know something's wrong when you pass cars and people cover their side mirror with their hand.

did you need to use primer for that?
yelomp5 said:
I j/ used tamiya model spray cans,
and it's been 3 years now, no dull, everything still looks new..
i used flat black.

*edit* o ya i heard that the tailights would warp if you try it. at least thats what i heard.

Reffoxel said:
Shoot I still have a Hercules VGA isa card from the mid 90's in my office!!

I have a Guillemot 3d Prophet, which I think was the precursor to the Hercules line... original nvidia geforce chip hehe.

Also have an old radeon 64vivo. and no, the 64 megs of ram are not DDR!

Well to be perfectly honest the oldest piece of computer equipment I have is an 8k bubble memory board from a 1972 micro computer.

Lord_Zath said:
I have a Guillemot 3d Prophet, which I think was the precursor to the Hercules line... original nvidia geforce chip hehe.

Also have an old radeon 64vivo. and no, the 64 megs of ram are not DDR!

lol yeah oldest tech I got is from the late 80's, back when 75 mhz, 8 megs of ram, a 15 inch CRT, 16-bit sound, 1 gig hard drive, and a 14.4 modem was considered godly.

NVP5White said:
Has anyone painted headlights on a white car? I was thinking of something to cut the shininess of the chrome; maybe just some flat clearcoat. Can the same thing be done on the taillights?

The blacked out headlights look just awesome on a white P5. Do a search for batmang and see his old white P5.

As for tail lights I highly suggest www.rockblocker.com check out the pictures of my smoked tail lights.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117303

glossy looks good, you just have to keep your entire car shiny too or the headlights look too shiny then.
I used satin, looks like the trim of everything else on the car.

has anyone had any problems with the headlight housing not sealing properly after reassembly? I have been thinking about doing this but I don't want condensation to build up inside the headlight when it rains or when I wash my car.

Moonman8 said:
has anyone had any problems with the headlight housing not sealing properly after reassembly? I have been thinking about doing this but I don't want condensation to build up inside the headlight when it rains or when I wash my car.

I have never heard of anybody having any problems like that. Your headlights are not water tight to begin with, they are vented through the little tube on the back side.

Dont worry, its very easy and you'll see when you do it, that it will seal back up well.

trbomp5 said:
I have never heard of anybody having any problems like that. Your headlights are not water tight to begin with, they are vented through the little tube on the back side.

Dont worry, its very easy and you'll see when you do it, that it will seal back up well.

I've seen two of them fog up here in Arizona on two different P5's.

A little clear RTV and the problem was solved.

Are your headlights any less effective after painting ? I know you still have the shiny back around the bulb itself to project the light. I was just wondering if darkening the rest of the housing cuts down on how much light gets projected ................

rednecks_r_us said:
I've seen two of them fog up here in Arizona on two different P5's.

A little clear RTV and the problem was solved.
I stand correced!
Yaggie1 said:
Are your headlights any less effective after painting ? I know you still have the shiny back around the bulb itself to project the light. I was just wondering if darkening the rest of the housing cuts down on how much light gets projected ................
I've not noticed any difference in the light output. The back does all the reflecting, and that you dont change.

Back