Which new 19" tires to buy?

:
2014 CX-5 GS AWD
My GS(Touring in USA) CX-5 has those awful looking 17" rims, so they have been demoted to winter duty. There are quite a few Mazda6 GT 19" rims, those beautiful gloss black pieces, for a good price. I want to make those the summer rims however, the tire size recommended is odd, being 225/45/19. Usually the rubber is fatter since I'm seeing 245+, so I don't have a whole lot of options. I work at a car dealership and got quotes for tires from our parts department. A cheap tire, General G-Max AS-03 is $191 a tire, and I definitely don't want them, reviews aren't that good either. Next option is Yokohama Advan Sport A/S V405. They're $200 a tire and reviews are mostly from sports car owners saying they grip awesome and do decent in the snow too. But will those be overkill? Then lastly, the more expensive tire, is the Michellin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, with very good reviews, and do well in the snow too, and they're $230 a tire. What do you guys think? And if you have any other suggestions, let me know!

Wow tire rack lost 245/45/19 as-03 for 121.45 .. and the 245/50/19 for 102. I went through this will my Jeep I was building. Going up or down one range can increase or decrease the price in a huge way. I tend to see what size is the most commonly used and go with that since if you on a trip and something happens it's easier to find a tire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Based on recommendation of several forum members, I recently bought 19" Michellin Premier LTX at Costco. They had a promotion at the time. Total cost including mounting, tax, etc was $877. I've been very satisfied with them so far.

You might want to try the Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension Forum

even if you work at one, I would say to get far, far away from a dealership on tires. Even when I worked for one, they tried to rip me off on services. One time I needed tires, the service manager was nice enough to tell me not to get tires from a dealership. That was just my experience, your's could be different.

I'll second the recommendation for Costco.

Always been a fan of Yokohama tires. They were my clear favourite out of the many brands I tried on my old Civic Si.

These prices makes me glad I've decided to go with the mid level GS and the 17" wheels though...lol

Does Costco give a hard time about " non standard size" if you aren't going with an original size? BJ's wouldn't put the size tire I wanted on my help because it never came that way from the factory 😒

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'll second the recommendation for Costco.

Always been a fan of Yokohama tires. They were my clear favourite out of the many brands I tried on my old Civic Si.

These prices makes me glad I've decided to go with the mid level GS and the 17" wheels though...lol

Eh...I absolutely hated the stock Yokohamas that came with my CX-5.

Eh...I absolutely hated the stock Yokohamas that came with my CX-5.

Perhaps I got a good model?

They were GREAT in the rain, above average in dry and way quieter than the Bridgestone's I tried (though the Bridge's lasted longer). The Pirelli's I tried were slightly better in the dry but worse in the rain and lasted even less.

Perhaps I got a good model?

They were GREAT in the rain, above average in dry and way quieter than the Bridgestone's I tried (though the Bridge's lasted longer). The Pirelli's I tried were slightly better in the dry but worse in the rain and lasted even less.

Yeah they were fine in those situations, but I found them to be terrible anytime it snowed. Slipped and slid all over the place before I replaced them with the Michelin all-seasons I have now.

I am running Fuzion 235/55R19 V rated They are made by Bridgestone and are a good tire. I have had them on my Audi before the Mazda. I like them. They cost me $508 on the car.

Last edited:
Advan sports on my x1..They're good, responsive, grippy. As for size 235/55 or 245 maybe 255/50 is what I'd recommend but try not to increase your w/t overall weight! The cx5 doesn't have enough power for an unsprung weight gain to not be noticeable..

Yeah they were fine in those situations, but I found them to be terrible anytime it snowed. Slipped and slid all over the place before I replaced them with the Michelin all-seasons I have now.

I thought the OP was looking for summer tires...?

Plus, isn't that what snow tires are for? (whistle)

I thought the OP was looking for summer tires...?

Plus, isn't that what snow tires are for? (whistle)

Yeah, sorry, guess I got a little off-topic then...

Haven't needed snow tires with the Michelins I have now. They haven't had me sliding all over the place where the Yokohamas were.

Sorry...done being off topic. :)

Based on recommendation of several forum members, I recently bought 19" Michellin Premier LTX at Costco. They had a promotion at the time. Total cost including mounting, tax, etc was $877. I've been very satisfied with them so far.

You might want to try the Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension Forum

Just bought these from tire rack. Wow what a difference. They are rated the highest and I agree!

Back