2007~2015 Which model years have the biggest issues?

Reading up on the water pump and the transfer case issues this generation suffered, it seems the water pump is less likely to be an issue around 2012-2013 and on, as it is a double sprocket. I would still probably replace the water pump around 100k miles anyway but I was wondering if people have found that to be the case. As far as the transfer case, is that an issue that is more isolated to certain years or is it prevalent across all gen 1s? I'm looking at 2013-2015 model years but if they all have these issues I'll probably stay away.

The transfer case sucks on all years. If you want AWD, buy something else.

The water pump was never really "fixed" either. The design changed, but there's no data that supports the assertion that the double sprocket fixed anything. The failure mode still exists.

I can't speak for the AWD.

For the engine water pump issues. The failure mode exists, but it is pretty random. Meaning that this engine might outlive you without the water pump failure mode ever occurring, or it might happen to you at 80 000 miles, or anywhere in between. It isn't always catastrophic failure either, when it fails the water goes into the oil, and dilutes it. It can lead to a new engine, or sometime just to a new water pump, it depends if you catch it soon enough. One of the problem is that the pump is integrated into the engine and on the timing chain, so replacing the water pump is an expensive repair on its own.

It is the same engine on all the model year, and also on all the ford models of that era. It is up to you to decide if this is a big risk for you or not, but if you discard the CX-9 for the engine, be mindful of also discarding all ford V6s from that era (edge, explorer, etc). They all have the same engine with the same water pump.

Reading up on the water pump and the transfer case issues this generation suffered, it seems the water pump is less likely to be an issue around 2012-2013 and on, as it is a double sprocket. I would still probably replace the water pump around 100k miles anyway but I was wondering if people have found that to be the case. As far as the transfer case, is that an issue that is more isolated to certain years or is it prevalent across all gen 1s? I'm looking at 2013-2015 model years but if they all have these issues I'll probably stay away.
07-15 can be problematic for the water pump failure and the ptu failure. 12.5-15 got a revised water pump, but I have seen reports of them failing, so I wouldn't consider them any better.

Changing the water pump and timing set early can be a good thing, but there is no guarantee that the new pump won't fail. I have 262,000 km on mine, all original, and I will most likely let the pump fail before I change it.

These issues do and can happen, but they are far and few between, considering how many 9's are on the road.

Back