which LSD?

Patrickenator

:
03 MSP, 08 MS3
So my diff broke, and I need to decide between the MFactory and the stock+welded.
I've done some research and some people are sayin there is actually a driveability/performance difference between Helical (MFactory) and clutch-disk (stock) type Limited Slip Diffs. Can anyone comment or recommend what the pros and cons are of each?

From everything I've seen while on this site, if you have the cash, go mfactory, if you don't, go pg, I think......

Thad.

is the quaife not an option? i know its more money, but if money's not an issue then that's also one to consider

Quaife doesn't make sense to me cause the MFactory is the same design. PG vs MFactory is what i'm deciding on, but i just want to make sure i'm not sacrificing performance for piece of mind...or vice versa really...

sucks biking to work :)

People are recommending it, but no one is posting up information as to why? I gather it's stronger, but the OP asked if anyone knew of the "driveable" differences between them. I'm curious myself, if only to understand how the different designs work.
To the OP: unless I'm clearly mistaken, we have no clutches in our LSDs...

so they're simply gear-based? let me dig up that link...

edit: yep you're right...ours is the Torsen, which is considered in the same category as the Helical...

Last edited:
yea it def seems like the smart choice...unfortunately i just realized my car payment just came out so i have less to work with here than i had thought. Think i'm gonna have to go with PG. if anyone has had bad experiences with the welded one i'd like to know about it though

I know people who have broken welded diffs, but as whether they were new or not, I don't know off hand...

i did notice i got a little better traction out of my mfactory. idk if that was just me lol. theres not really anything different. but i still recommend it over a welded. although ive never driven one that was welded.

Back