which company gas works better for Mazda Cx5

sangs

:
mazda
I am using Costco normal gas. I am getting 23mpg in city . When I tried shell, I am getting 24 .
which companys fuel gives best performance for mazda vehicle ? what you guys opinion from your experience ?

I am using Costco normal gas. I am getting 23mpg in city . When I tried shell, I am getting 24 .
which companys fuel gives best performance for mazda vehicle ? what you guys opinion from your experience ?
I use Shell regular gas all the time and haven't tried any other brand of gas for our CX-5. But I do notice our BMW 528i could get 3 more mpg on the long highway trip when I use Shell 93-octane than Chevron 93-octane, a significant improvement!

I believe we should use top-tier gas all the time. Costco is but Sam-Club is not.

I have good evidence that in my location, BJ gas results in a 2-3 MPG drop in milage as compared to other companies gas. I think any gas from one of the major gas companies should be fine.

I use convenient store gas (Turkey Hill) and the average mpg the past 2 weeks has been 33.7. Vehicle is driven primarily on the highway.

Brand of gas does not matter. Most of the times, it all comes from the same distribution plant in your region.

I'm guessing 1 mpg is within the margin of error. IOW, may be no significant difference due to variables and measurement error.

Last edited:
Brand of gas does not matter. Most of the times, it all comes from the same distribution plant in your region.
Although different brand of gas may come from the same refinery, but the detergent pack from different brands added before the gas gets shipped into gas stations is different. That's why there's a list of top tier detergent gasoline.

Although different brand of gas may come from the same refinery, but the detergent pack from different brands added before the gas gets shipped into gas stations is different. That's why there's a list of top tier detergent gasoline.

Condition of the gas station's tanks (and level they're at when you fill up) can make a difference also... especially margin of errors like 1mpg... the tank can have water in it, sediment, old gas...

I had a similar discussion with a co-worker awhile ago and he brought this up to me:
If the gasoline has more additives and detergent in it, wouldn't it get less gas mileage since there is less gasoline per volume?

Condition of the gas station's tanks (and level they're at when you fill up) can make a difference also... especially margin of errors like 1mpg... the tank can have water in it, sediment, old gas...
Very true! That's why I've always been trying to use newer gas stations hopping their underground tank is in better shape and their pump is more accurate.

I had a similar discussion with a co-worker awhile ago and he brought this up to me:
If the gasoline has more additives and detergent in it, wouldn't it get less gas mileage since there is less gasoline per volume?
I'd not worry about that as those detergent pack counts very minimum percentage of the gasoline in volume. Besides, the effectiveness of the detergent sometimes is not only by volume, but the material they used, many are patented. I'd more worry about the 10% or 15% content of ethanol in our gasoline, which greatly affects our gas mileage but the effectiveness of cleaning the air is still debatable.

I'd not worry about that as those detergent pack counts very minimum percentage of the gasoline in volume. Besides, the effectiveness of the detergent sometimes is not only by volume, but the material they used, many are patented. I'd more worry about the 10% or 15% content of ethanol in our gasoline, which greatly affects our gas mileage but the effectiveness of cleaning the air is still debatable.

I've never seen it do anything to harm mileage. As an experiment, I'll fill up with ethanol free gas for the next few tanks and keep the forum posted. I routinely get 22.5 to 23.5 mpg, so if it deviates significantly for two tanks, I'll consider it legit.

I try to use Shell and Chevron w/techron. Temps reached the 111-114 degree mark over the weekend here. Used 90 octane as some had suggested for hot weather. Saw no difference which is probably a good thing considering folks proposed skyactiv engines pull timing under heavy load conditions.

Another thing people should keep in mind when comparing mileage between vehicles (and from tank to tank) is the average speed readout. I haven't changed the average speed - IOW, it's now the average for all ~30,000 kms driven on the vehicle, and it sits at 40 kph (24.8 mph).

My CX-5 has a lifetime readout of 9.9 litres per 100 KM (23.76 mpg) at an average speed of 40 kph (24.8 mph).

Thank you for that list. Good to know that Costco is in the list along with other major companies.
I will refill full tank once the tank is almost empty and then will see whether Shell gives better results.

Another thing people should keep in mind when comparing mileage between vehicles (and from tank to tank) is the average speed readout. I haven't changed the average speed - IOW, it's now the average for all ~30,000 kms driven on the vehicle, and it sits at 40 kph (24.8 mph).

My CX-5 has a lifetime readout of 9.9 litres per 100 KM (23.76 mpg) at an average speed of 40 kph (24.8 mph).

so what is the best average speed that gives better economy mileage ?
I think it is not average to be considered. because if u drive at 20 mph and then 60 mph the average becomes 40mph. What I read somewhere that if we drive at 50mph constant speed ( may be on highway ) , u get better economy gas mileage

Anyone tried ethanol free gas yet? I used it a couple times in my Subaru Impreza but didn't notice any difference.

Anyone tried ethanol free gas yet? I used it a couple times in my Subaru Impreza but didn't notice any difference.

It's at best a 3% difference between E0 and E10.
E10 has UP to 10% ethanol, and it may legally contain less (but not more), so you never know exactly how much ethanol you're getting.

At best, instead of 25MPG on E10 you would get 25.75.
It's impossible to see such a small change in MPG outside of a good controlled experiment.

It's at best a 3% difference between E0 and E10.
E10 has UP to 10% ethanol, and it may legally contain less (but not more), so you never know exactly how much ethanol you're getting.
At best, instead of 25MPG on E10 you would get 25.75.
It's impossible to see such a small change in MPG outside of a good controlled experiment.
I'd say E10 "at least" has 3% impact on gas mileage according to EPA. Many people, especially with older vehicles, typically experienced 6~10% drop or even more on gas mileage. Unfortunately I can't test it on our CX-5 as the ethanol-free gas is nowhere can be found in our area.

Back