Where's the sub amp in MS6?

before I start tearing panels off, I need the location of the sub amp. I have a powered sub that I want to add and I need to tap into power, ground, and of course rca audio connections

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here, and I could VERY WELL be wrong, but I HIGHLY doubt that the factory sub uses RCA inputs as the audio source. I'm fairly certain that it will have a wiring harnass that provides the audio input.

You can tap your rca connections under the passenger seat. You don't want to connect the rcas at the sub amp because the signal is pre eq'd in the front amp. There are a couple of schematics of the amp inputs that are floating around. You need to run the power wire for your amp directly to the battry and ground it to the car chassy.

The sub is tied into the amp that is underneath the passenger seat. I would not run an aftermarket sub without installing a suitable amp.

Ummm.... Pretty damn sure the amp is attached directly to the Sub on the back deck.... I just went and looked... Still almost 100% sure the amp for the SUB is attached directly to the sub... I remember when I first looked into upgrading my system.. I wanted to only replace the sub... as the Mids weren't too terrible.... (though now that i've replaced all i know how bad the stock was)...

Anyway we tried pulling a usable signal off the rear sub... and it was pretty bad... usable... but pretty bad... you'd need a really good.. mono-block amp...

my sub is already self powered with amp built in. all I need is a power line, ground, and something to splice the rca's into. This is what I had done in the MSP and it took 15mins. I just tapped into kenwood amp, and grounded it on the chassis.

so I got in the trunk last night and looked at the bose sub. Does anyone know what all the different colors are going into the wire harness? I need power, ground, audio. Typically that's yellow, black, blue, red/white but with this bose sub I have no idea.

I had 3 shops... countless installers... and lots of cutting / testing and research on the bose system. I think a few on the forums have spliced in and used the factory wires with aftermarket speakers, however I don't think they were very happy with the results.

After about 5 seconds of hearing 2 12's running off a signal we pulled from the rear factory sub... I decided to bypass everything and pull it right from the deck.

ANYWAY, best way to use the bose factory deck with aftermarket speakers? Splice RCA's onto the output on the deck... feed that into a 4 channel amp which has a pass-through. Feed that amp into 4 new door speakers... and the pass into a mono-block for your subs... Will sound and act EXACTLY like an aftermarket deck... w/o all the extra features and buttons.

my wires for the sub amp in my mazda 6 is on the roof in teh trunk, the harness that is there is for it and its for siruis ready too...that's what I was told anyways.

thanks to another fine forum member, I was pointed to this...

Attachments

• harness%20map.jpg
    harness%20map.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 605
killer is, my powered sub has a seperate wire ( yellow ) for 12V constant, and a blue wire for remote on/off. So ..... I connect my sub's yellow wire to the blue/red, but what do I do with the blue remote on/off cable?

You will have to run it to the 12V accessory wire that is at the amp under the passenger seat and splice it in there.

ta da!

Using that chart, and using these instructions below, I got my sub all hooked up. Wasn't too hard but I could friggin kill the moron that decided to stick the amp under the passenger seat, and kill him again for not putting any slack on the cables going to it.

I got these from 6club. Not my instructions

1. I took a $5 RCA 1 male-to-2 female Y splitter and cut off the male end.
2. I used my trusty side cutting wire strippers to peal back the insulation from the exposed wire ends.
3. I twisted the two positives together, and the two shields (negatives) together.
4. I then broke out the trusty side cutting strippers again to expose the wire under the blk/silver lead that goes into the factory sub amplifier.
5. I spliced in my two positive leads into this single wire.
6. Then I wrapped up the exposed wire with some 33+ electrical tape and made sure there were no wires exposed.
7. Now I attached a round terminal to the shields, and screwed it directly into the deck lid.
8. FYI- the signal coming into the amp is AC; therefore the entire signal is carried on the positive lead only.
9. I now had my two RCA female ends, to which I attached my 6 RCA cable that was run into my amp.
10. I have my gains turned way down, so that my sub doesnt overmatch the interior speakers.
11. Works great. Also, I left my stock sub hooked up to add some needed mid bass, still works fine.

New sub makes huge difference. I can turn down the bass on the door speakers which sounds really boomy and adds too much bad mid range when turned up, and let me sub do the thumping with a nicer deep bass. Bose speakers still suck though.

Now I need a aux mod, and I'm going to try to get an mp3 player that has a adjustable eq on it to tweak the sound better.

Awesome.

Glad you got it hooked up. BTW, if you haven't yet ordered your auxmod I would suggest doing it soon. I just got one and they told me they have a 1-2 week supply before they will be on backorder again.

I will have the AuxMod and AudioLink hooked up to my deck. My Auxmod is going to be dedicated to my satellite radio tuner while the AudioLink will be used for my Ipod/Aux line in for any other MP3 player I might get.

might have to wait for the auxmod for a bit. I need to get winter rims first. I'm considering getting the audiolink instead anyways.

I just got a metra loc and spliced it from head unit. Stock amp isn't ideal for aftermarket sub(s) unless you don't like the bass to be heard ouside or inside the car.

stock amp/sub are worthless. I can't even tell if the sub is working if my head is in the damn trunk. I can't believe they call that a sub. I could disconnect it, and I can't even tell a difference when sitting inside the car. This Bose stereo is an embarrassment to the Mazdaspeed line.

My new sub has it's own amp. All is better now.

mazda/ford amp and sub sux in general. The grand marquis actualy have dampening pads over it...yeah. Not saying get 2 jackhammers to replace it, just don't try to make the factory sub and amp better. Upgrade if you aren't plrased..

As we all know... most factory HU/Amps/speakers sux!!! BOSE or not!!!
Aftermarket is the way to go. And for Navi too. However the Navi on the new CX-7 is not bad at all. Wish that was on the 06 MS6.

Back