wheel hop sucks

mspracer21

:
mazdaspeed
well today i went to the tracks. my msp is pretty bone stock, i have not even gone to get the flash. but neways my best time was 15.987@85mph. and i know it could have been better if it wasnt for the damn wheel hopping. i was just wanted to know how to get a good launch at the tracks with out have wheel hop.
laters

(msporange

Don't rev so high :D

Don't worry I got a 16.8 from spinning through 2 gears. I even let it drop to 2500 RPM in second and tried again.. friggen thing still spun. Hopping is a b**** in these cars, especialy with most drag stripps bad traction.

I luanched at that and had the same result. On the street it works but not on a strip that almost as smooth as glass form people ripping out all night in fornt of you. Or in my case form 4 rear wheel drive cars going throuhg the water and leaving an outstanding puddle on the starting line.

Yeah, I know the traction issue sucks. torque and fwd doesn't really flow unless you have a good setup. i've only found one good track, maybe cause it was new but i love it.

imagine if we had an open diff also? that would sucks balls. i still don't get how the srt4's have an open diff and still take off like a champ, most of the time. for ppl who are stock it's like there is no hope on launching this machine. i guess this all goes back to why we bought this car, for auto-x and road racing. if road racing wasn't $150 and bucko bucks for getting a set of tires often then maybe i wouldn't drag race to have fun all the time.

anyhow,
my wheel hop is non existent whatsoever since i changed out my front motor mount only. i'm not sure what the exact setup is but it is chromoly tube, delron bushing, and some polyurethane bushing as well. the IDLE was definietly harsher but you have to give up some comfort for performance. honestly after a week i couldn't tell the difference b/c i got use to the vibration but other people notice slightly. good luck.

you could also spend around $400 for a pair of rota wheels and nitto or bfg drag radials when you drag race to solve some traction issues. the wheels are cheap and it's your preference for drag radials. nittos have more "life" b/c more tread but bfg's have more traction for what's on there. this is from tire ppl i've talked to and www.discounttire.com info. later.

also, fabricating custom tube supports from the control arm suspension point to the front of the car will help with launches. it keeps wheels to have the most contact when the higher torque causes the wheels to be kinda like this when taking off

||....|| (with braces wheels will stay straight as possible)
and \\....// (without braces causing wheels to angle with launching hard)

i'll have a setup soon and post pics.

later.

Yeap..Changed out my front motor mount..and have been very happy..except for the car vibrating so much more!

But well worth it!

Chas

yeah seeing as we have an lsd and the srts have more power with an open diff, how deo they get decent 60 ft times especially for a fwd car, I have seen them get like 2.2x on their stock tires. Whats the best some has got in their msp?

Yeah wheel hop does suck, it really scared me because like everything felt like it was hopping the gear shifter was going crazy, but then again it was wet out.

You can always tell when someone has been to the track for the 1st time in their MSP when they start complaining about wheel hop. :p Part of it depends on the track...the one by me really sucks.

The SRT-4 has no problems with launching because it has a torque limiter in 1st gear...otherwise it would just spin or hop ALL THE TIME.

You Need to GEt a Front Motor Mount...I got one..and i can drop..the clutch at like 4.5k...which is usually for doing burn outs!

:p

I wouldn't worry about braking an axel..b/c you are more likely to brake your tranny first..

wheel hop causes lots of stress back to the tranny which in turns gives even more stress to the axels!

chas

Back