Wheel Emblem Help

ACDC997

I'm currently trying to paint my wheels, but I still want the mazda emblem to stay chrome. What practical ways are there to prevent it from being painted over?

Painters tape, or vinyl line strips. It's going to be difficult but if you take your time, it might look alright. Also depends on what your painting your wheels with, plastidip, powdercoat, traditional paint?

Not sure if this would work but maybe very carefully dip them in hot wax only deep enough to cover the chrome... or fully then carefully scrape the areas you want painted...

Use PlastiDip on the emblem. When dry trim out the emblem and pull the dip off but leave it on the emblem. Paint to desired color. When dry again carefully trim around the emblem again and the pull the paint and plastidip off the emblem revealing the chrome. If done carefully it should come out pretty good

... I think Plastidip is a better idea than wax if you can be very careful with the knife. I didn't suggest it because you'll have to use a sharp knife to get a clean line before you pull away the excess.... and such a knife will probably leave some marks on the plastic..

Last edited:
Mine popped right off and right back on again when I plast-dip them 2.5 years ago. Kept the center ring and lug nuts chrome and the wheels black. I set the car on jack-stands and did all 4 wheels at once.

Thanks for the plastidip idea, I think I'll try that. Also, if I rattlecan the rims with rustoleum painter's touch, should I clearcoat them? I have already primed them.

Thanks for the plastidip idea, I think I'll try that. Also, if I rattlecan the rims with rustoleum painter's touch, should I clearcoat them? I have already primed them.

Wouldnt hurt. There is a satin or high gloss clear. Just decide which look you want. Prob want to give the wheels a good scuff before you paint them. Good luck.

Back