Wheel bearings replaced

sjg

:
2009 CX-9 Touring AWD
Just had my CX-9 in for it's first problem requiring non-scheduled dealer visit. Around 35K miles I started hearing noise coming from the right front wheel about 30-40mph. It was clearly unrelated to the engine or transmission and would vary in volume/pitch when I turned the wheel one way or the other and the weight of the car shifted. I figured it was either a bad bearing or something rubbing in the brake. Turns out there was a bad bearing. Dealer replaced bearings for both front wheels and all is good. Decent dealership experience. Ended up keeping the car overnight because they didn't get to it the first day. (Worst part of the ordeal was the Chevy Impala rental car which is truly an awful car.)
Anyone else ever needed a wheel bearing replaced on a CX-9? Seems like something that shouldn't fail on such a new car. I've got a 100K extended warranty but glad this happened at 35K to keep it simpler.

Last edited:
Just got mine back from the dealer. Right-Front bearing was bad. The other bearings were okay. Luckily it was covered under the powertrain warranty. I only have 51K miles.

Its happened to quite a few people on here, why? They are still using Ford Motorcraft bearings. Ford wheel bearings are like external hard drives, they have a high failure rate.

Good points.
I will make sure I ask for alternative better bearing than the one from Ford.
Indeed, hard-drive is usually the first to go in a laptop/PC.

That is why I prefer SSD for weight, speed, and reliability. Hope the price comes down sooner.

Just got mine back from the dealer. Right-Front bearing was bad. The other bearings were okay. Luckily it was covered under the powertrain warranty. I only have 51K miles.

uh oh, I am at 42k and I hope mine go before I hit the end of the warranty.(boom06)

Ask the dealer to perform a full-circle inspection (pay attention to bearing) for free
before your warranty expires. Do this at oil change so that you don't have to go there twice.

I am worried about my front right bearing, too. Lately, when I make a rightward turn - going > 10 mph, I hear what sounds like metal on metal from the wheel. Yesterday, I lifting up that right side with a jack, and there seemed to be some left to right play in the wheel. No up and down play was noted. I'll call the dealership tomorrow and see if they can take a look at it.

Ask the dealer to perform a full-circle inspection (pay attention to bearing) for free
before your warranty expires. Do this at oil change so that you don't have to go there twice.

Good point, I will do it.

bobbyseal, it may be your wheel beaing, but also, if you have all wheel drive, it may be your rear differential going bad, as that is exactly how folks noticed they had a problem... hopefully just a bearing though. Good luck!

Thanks.

We've got an 08, bought in Jan '09 with about 24k miles on it. We don't drive it much, and it's kind of annoying to be hearing this issue already. I'll keep everyone up to date as I learn more.

As I posted this same issue in the powertrain section. I had my wheel bearings replaced at 12,000 miles and now at 56,000 they are out again. Waiting to see if Mazda will cover again since it is under the Powertrain which is a 5 year warranty and I am less than 2 weeks out of warranty.

well, it wasn't my wheel bearings. It was just me not being good at doing a brake job. I think some of the hardware was rubbing against the rotor. Good luck to you all who need bearings done...

I was hearing a groaning/whining sound after 40mph and thought it could be transmission/transfer case or rear diff. I have 62K on car and had TC replaced at 34K. I have also changed trans fluid several times including a 3x3 with T-4. I brought the car to Wantagh Mazda 4 days after 5 year warranty ended last week. They found it was a bad drivers side Rear bearing and replaced it. They did a good will on parts and charged only for labor. They did not want to replace right side even though I asked nor did they feel the need to change rear diff. fluid when I mentioned it. They did not try to sell me on anything, not even new plugs. The car now drives great and I have done all other maintenance myself. Does this sound ok? Should they have covered the labor or done any of the other services?

They did not indicate how much time but the labor charge was $224. They also fixed a rattling sound I had which they said was a loose brake shield but did not show a charge for that.

Back