What's your CX-50 MPG?

Digbicks1234

16.5 CX-5 Touring/2023 CX-9 Touring
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get an idea of what your MPG was for your CX-50, whether Turbo or Non-Turbo. Here's some details about my vehicle so far:
  • Trim: Turbo Premium
  • Driving Style: Moderate/semi-aggressive
  • City/Highway (%): 70/30
  • EPA Estimated City/Highway: 23/29
  • MPG: 18-23 MPG
I have about 2,100 miles on my vehicle and I've noticed that I can't really get more than 255-270 miles upon each fill up and this is with the needle at the very last 10% on the fuel gauge itself with <10 miles remaining. Not sure what everyone else is getting but it's a little disappointing that the MPG is so low. It's definitely not a good car for a commute that's 70% (City) /30% (Highway) for sure and I suppose I could remediate that by driving slower but that would be defeating the purpose of getting a Turbo in the first place :)

https://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/text-version-gasoline-label

For gasoline vehicles, the label shows City, Highway, and Combined MPG (miles per gallon) values. The Combined MPG value is the most prominent for the purpose of quick and easy comparison across vehicles. Combined fuel economy is a weighted average of City and Highway MPG values that is calculated by weighting the City value by 55% and the Highway value by 45%.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get an idea of what your MPG was for your CX-50, whether Turbo or Non-Turbo. Here's some details about my vehicle so far:
  • Trim: Turbo Premium
  • Driving Style: Moderate/semi-aggressive
  • City/Highway (%): 70/30
  • EPA Estimated City/Highway: 23/29
  • MPG: 18-23 MPG
I have about 2,100 miles on my vehicle and I've noticed that I can't really get more than 255-270 miles upon each fill up and this is with the needle at the very last 10% on the fuel gauge itself with <10 miles remaining. Not sure what everyone else is getting but it's a little disappointing that the MPG is so low. It's definitely not a good car for a commute that's 70% (City) /30% (Highway) for sure and I suppose I could remediate that by driving slower but that would be defeating the purpose of getting a Turbo in the first place :)

https://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/text-version-gasoline-label
How many gallons does it take when you refuel? The capacity is 15.9 gallons
Are you resetting the mpg counter at each refill? you should

How many gallons does it take when you refuel? The capacity is 15.9 gallons
Are you resetting the mpg counter at each refill? you should
My fills ups have been around 13.5 - 14.0 gallons when I refill and I usually reset the MPG counter each time I fill up as it's tied to Trip A under the settings.

CX-50 GS-L---Canadian version has AWD and 2.5L normally aspirated engine.
Current mileage is 4000kms or 2500 miles.
Overall fuel economy has been 28,3 mpg(US gallons) or 8.3L/100kms.
Driving so far is 70hwy/30city.
Best Trip--Ottawa-Toronto-- distance 250 miles(400kms)---fuel economy 31.0mpg(7.3L/100kms)
Driving style is fairly conservation oriented and highway speeds around 70-75mph(108-115km/hr)
Typically driven with 2 persons and light luggage.

I previously had a 2017 Mazda6 and 2018 Mazda 6 Turbo and found that the Turbo used 10% more fuel with my driving style.

Last edited:
I have a 2.5 S Preferred Plus.

So far averaging 29.8 mpg with 90% highway. The best I've got on the highway has been 34.5 mpg driving between 65 and 75 mph.

Seems to be just a tad more fuel efficient than my 2021 CX-5.

One interesting thing though, it runs on the highway at about 300 RPMs lower than the CX-5.

I have 2600 miles and averaging 24.5 mph with the Turbo in mixed driving….60% town and 40% highway. I’m expecting (hoping) this will improve as the engine breaks in. My wife’s Audi 4cyl 2.0 turbo started out averaging high twenties but by about 15k miles it had improved to about 32 mpg average. Not too shabby. My GTI did something similar so I’m expecting the CX-50 to loosen up as well. I drive pretty gently really.

Now at 6200 miles with the Turbo and average milage has crept up to 25 mpg in mixed driving, still about 60% around town, 40% highway.

Unlike the thread starter, I get around 310 miles before I fill up, usually right when the ‘low fuel’ light comes on or just before. On fill up, the range indicator shows 350 miles which appears correct if you were to run the tank nearly empty.

I have noticed no significant non-linearity in fuel gauge response.

(Also, have had no squeeks, rattles, drips, or any other issue with this car whatsoever - it is just like the day I took it home from the dealer mid-November 2022, no issues)

Just for reference, my 2015 Mazda 6 (2.5, NA, Auto) Has gotten around 5.6L-5.7L at the lowest.

I am on mostly one lane county roads, some city or small town stop/go driving, conservative-moderate in terms of acceleration, highway - I am sitting at roughly 6.7-6.8L average.

Driving conservatively on flat, straight ground, at 80-110km/h, I average roughly 5.8-6L/100km.

(Also, have had no squeeks, rattles, drips, or any other issue with this car whatsoever - it is just like the day I took it home from the dealer mid-November 2022, no issues)

at 294,750km on the clock, i feel much more confident in saying: "no issues!"

with the exception of a seized parking brake due to infrequent use and salt, nothing else at all to report.

the only time I have ever seen a CEL was due to a defective oil filter.

at 294,750km on the clock, i feel much more confident in saying: "no issues!"

with the exception of a seized parking brake due to infrequent use and salt, nothing else at all to report.

the only time I have ever seen a CEL was due to a defective oil filter.
Wow! 294,750km in a year? That must be a typo, surely - especially since you state "infrequent use"?

To be clear, this thread is about CX-50 fuel economy.

Update:
June 24, 2023 and now 8,500 miles and getting 28 mpg in 60/40 city/highway driving. Fuel efficiency continuing to improve slowly. Noticed similar thing in several previous cars up until around 15,000 miles.

Just a note:
The fuel economy you get in a turbo car around town has a lot to do with gas pedal habits. Light footed driving really increases economy because you stay out of boost more of the time. I’m not saying this is HOW you should drive your car….just saying it makes a difference to economy so everyone’s experience is going to be individualized…especially in city driving.

I have 4500 miles on my 2023 S Select and had the oil changed at 4300 Miles.
i discovered something with the Fuel Efficiency History (FEH). My MPG had been around 26 MPG since the car was new. I wondered why there had not been much variation, better or worse.. After the oil change and now that the car is more or less past its break-in period it should have improved. I did not use the trip odometer and calculate the mileage manually dividing the gallons into the miles traveled since last fill up. I relied on the FEH. Apparently this system averages the total miles driven, in my case 4500 miles.
I dug through the display screens and found a setting to reset FEH each time trip odometer is reset. After making this change now my mileage is in the mid 27s MPG.
With engine off and power on, select Information in main menu, select Fuel Efficiency Monitor, hit select again, select Fuel Efficiency Histoy, then select Link Avg Fuel Efficiency Rest with Trip A Reset.
it took my 10-15 minutes originally to drill down and find this. It’s not intuitive.

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpeg
    IMG_0839.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back