What's a worthy successor to the P5, 2005-2012?

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I've had my P5 for over three years, and really enjoy driving it, but at some point it may be time to hand it over to my sons and get something else. What among more recent-model used cars in compact/mid-size rivals the P5 in terms of fun-to-drive, while still being moderately versatile, fuel-efficient, affordable to own and reliable?

Mazda3? Sure, though the smile on the 2008-2013 models is hideous.
Civic Si? Perhaps.
WRX? If I can find something that isn't all ricered out.
Focus? Fiesta? How reliable are they?
Volvo C30? No idea.

Any other suggestions?

My brother in law picked up a low mileage (25k) Focus ST for $20k. Factory warranty, turbo 4 hatchback with recaro seats that's quite fun to drive.

I would steer clear of the Mazda 3. Nice looking cars, but they have a lot of the same problems that the P5's have. Oil burning and rust, rust, rust.

I would go with the Focus.

Subi's are nice but you will never find a bargain. Plus the 2.5s had oil burning issues too I think. We had an 08 Focus, sold at 140k, did nothing but tuneup and tires and it got a solid 34mpg all the time. Loved that car. Not especially "fun" but solid transportation. The new focus at and especially the RS models are very legit and overall quite the bargin

I just bought a 2011 GTI a bunch of months ago to replace my aging P5 (which sadly has been downgraded to winterbeater after 8 years as my daily), and I absolutely love it. Everything about it is so much nicer, fit and finish, comfort, build quality. And then there's the giddy factor of hitting boost. It's like a drug. The only downside is it's smaller. Not much, about three inches in the hatch, and not quite as versatile, but I forget all about that when driving.

My roommate has a C30 with the 5cyl turbo. I know a couple of his forum friends with C30s as well. Those cars are gorgeous, and there's a good aftermarket. With a decent exhaust, the T5 sounds absolutely savage. It is a fantastic car.

Civics in this area are somewhat rare, and overpriced. There's a much higher chance of them being beat on and clapped out as well. They're lacking in the passenger compartment as well compared to the P5. Tons of fun though, and reliable if you can find a decent one.

Subarus have pretty prominent head gasket problems up until 2011 I believe. They are easy to work on though, but again very expensive in this area. I don't know if the turbo engines in the WRX are affected.

I would say that the Hyundai Veloster and Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe are closer replacements to the P5. Especially the Matrix in the GT/XR model. Great engine and 6spd manual available. No timing belts with around 180hp from the factory, and VVTLi.

If you're into sedans, I would look into the Nissan Maxima/Altima with the VQ35 V6. 6spd available as well, with 270hp stock. It's a great engine.

I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago. The P5 was 10 years old and finished and I needed a new surf-mobile.
I hate Subarus (I owned one and it was the worst car I've ever driven)
I rented a Hyundai a few months ago and couldn't believe it was a 2015 car. Hunting transmission, punishing seats, gutless but jerky power, etc. It had Bluetooth and cool headlights though. lol
Any luxury European brand will kill you on maintenance.
I seriously thought about a Civic Si, I even test-drove one, but...they just sound like s*** and aren't really quick, and all the other drivers are either chicks or Hella Frush. Plus those things get ripped off when you park em.
No such animal as a new MS3.
My mom in law has a new focus. It's no ST, but...it's no Mazda3 either. Inferior interior for sure.
I ended up going the completely opposite direction and buying a 4runner. It's been the most bulletproof car imaginable. If you buy a Tacoma/4runner and it dies after 500K miles, you got a lemon. The wife took over on it though, and now I get her MSP! grrr.

If I were you, I'd probably hit the VW dealership and test drive a GTi. They're hurtin' overe there since the TDI scandal and I'll bet they're making it REAL easy to get into a new VW.

Last edited:
I would steer clear of the Mazda 3. Nice looking cars, but they have a lot of the same problems that the P5's have. Oil burning and rust, rust, rust.

I would go with the Focus.

I've never had any problems with my P5 burning oil. This was the first car i purchased and and have had it for 10 years now.

How many miles are on your car?

That's good. But there are many, many forum members who have oil burning with the P5. Oil burning is a complaint on the Mazda 3, and some say it has done it from the day they bought it new.

Last edited:
Subaru's are great...the AWD hands down can't be beat. Steer clear of the EJ25D (I've had 2 of them blow on me due to HG failure) and stick to the EJ22 and you have yourself a car that will last forever. Better still, if you can find an older one with the EJ18 (or even an 80s/early 90s loyale with the EG18 and the twin stick 4wd in turbo... ;) )... Sure, they burn oil, its the nature of the beast with a boxer engine in a Subie...The EJ25D had head gasket issues like no tomorrow (internal leaks up to 98, external leaks from 99+ MY). Body will rust away before the EJ22 dies though, so theres that... Great cars, but known for rusting in the rear wheel arches around 100k miles...

IF I had to choose from your list though, I'd go with the Volvo. However I'd look into an older model from before Ford took over and f****d everything up...the 5 cyl is a fantastic motor up til about 97-98. Turbo models had PCV sludge issues and had multiple recalls over the years...Seems to be a common problem on cars from that part of the world (Saab is known for it on the 9-5's from 2003+ as well). Very simple, reliable vehicles,VERY DIY friendly. Pricey on parts though, but you can always find them in boneyards... Built like a tank and handle quite well considering the weight...My 850 was a great car in the winter and had all the luxury of a Benz/BMW....

The new Fiesta isn't a bad choice either. Fun to drive...I'd skip the civic, they are kind of no frills, reliable, daily driver A to B cars IMHO... Burn oil too in my experience (just like any other honda lol)

Mazda6 wagon

43549d1130839834-asa-ar1-wheels-6-img_0715__2_.jpg

chargespeed_winner3.jpg

Yeah, if youre looking for something that is very much like the P5, the 6 wagon is about as close as it gets. And they're sweet.

Back