What would it take to make a CX-9 stick shift?

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
I love my CX-9 but every winter I go through withdrawal of not being able to drive stick shift because my RX7 and REPU don't go out in salty conditions. So I'm curious, is there a manual transmission that could bolt up to the CX9 drivetrain? Was it ever offered in other countries or anything? Maybe parts from a manual CX-5 or something? I'm not looking for a long term fabrication project, just curious to whether anyone has given it thought.

That would be a lot of fun. Might make the awd more of a hassle. For the 3.7, I'd imagine you'd need to change out or HEAVILY modify the entire drivetrain as well. As for fwd only cx-9 I'd look into Ford cars that use the 3.5 duratec, as that and the 3.7 as essentially the same motor. Not sure if a manual is offered by Ford with a 3.5 motor in a fwd configuration.

If you had a four cylinder you'd have a ton of more viable options off the escape or fusion. Either way you're probably better off getting a winter beater with a stick shift.

Yeah, it would be a huge pain TBH. You're replacing the whole drivetrain basically. Your best bet would be to find one with a totaled out engine/front end, and go off of that.

If you want a large-ish CUV/SUV with a manual, you have basically one choice:

1. Sell CX-9
2. Find old Porsche Cayenne with manual transmission.

I looked into this a couple years ago, and the only crossover-type vehicle that could be had with a manual was the Cayenne (and only in the base trim with the VW sourced V6). The manual is a dying technology - even Porsche is giving up on them (the Cayenne doesn't offer it as an option anymore).

I pretty much new that would be the answer. I started poking around on Euro and Aussie sites to see if maybe the CX9 was offered there with a stick (the CX5 comes in more drivetrain options) but no luck. I bought an RX7 to drive around...but then decided it was too nice to drive in salty conditions so I'm back to the 9 until the roads are clear of salt.

Back