What have you done to your P5 today?

Did you adjust the hex adjuster on the calipers? Unscrew the console nut all the way, take the cap bolt off the rear caliper. Use an allen key to turn the adjuster and turn the wheel as you adjust it. When it grabs, back off until its free again. Like half a turn. Once done on both sides you can go find a beastly hill and adjust the nut on the handle to desired tension.

Though. Ebrake is not affected by front brakes at all obv. Only needs adjustment when changing rear pads.

Valk, I will address the rear brakes as a single project, likely with all new calipers, rotors and pads. I suspect the Ebrake cable is too worn to provide the tension needed, but not sure. I will def. follow your insrtructions for adjusting the rear brakes when the time comes. Thanks

I locked the keys in the car while on an outing. Checking out the used lot at the local Mazda dealer. I left the keys in the ignition while checking out a Mazda3. The ign. was turned to acc. with the radio playing. in less than 5 minuted of tire kicking, the P5 had locked all doors. Had to call my son to ride over with the spare set while I continued to browse.

Scratching my head as to why it locked. Most of my cars with electric locks had a feature that unlocked the door as soon as you hit the lock button to lock it, if the engine was off but the key was in the ignition. This included the Fords that locked/unlocked doors while driving. Anyone know of an electronic defeat for this autolock feature, perhaps involving the key fob and a coded sequence of ignition on/off, door switch on/off, key fob button pushing, similar to the Fords and Chevys in my driveway?

IMG_8950_zpszbwai99a.jpg

Test fit the new wheels

installed the stock sub i had left over from my MP3. sounds great. my p5 is missing rear door speakers though. i'll eventually get around to finding some decent ones. they don't have to be the best because i don't want to spend a whole bunch on them.

anyone know the capacity of the protege5's coolant overflow tank? i've spent hours searching google and ebay and found nothing.. reason i ask, is that i see a lot of aftermarket tanks labeled at 350, 400, and 800 mL and i'm wondering how big exactly an aftermarket replacement would have to be

I guess I never really thought about that, The aluminum bottle that I chose is significantly smaller than stock. Like 1/4 the capacity. However, It has never given me any problems. Never overflowed or ran dry. So I would venture to say that its not that big of a deal. My bottle is roughly 10-12oz.

I would check the entire handbrake line and also do yourself a favor and change your rubber brake hoses by the rear calipers. I had the same problem and my mechanic said there was gunk and all kind of s*** inside the hoses preventing from brake fluid from returning back when brake pedal was released.
Rear caliper decided to not release after i let off the parking brake.

still repairing the whole floorpan..... **** mazda's engineering fail with the BJ chassis. s*** seam welding. s*** floor pan design at the rockers. and most of all s*** cowel drains.......

Finally found right tool to dislodge compass/temp/auto-dimming Donnelly oem mirror from wedge. Been awhile since messing with that so had to figure out how it came off. Anyway, that made space for the Gentex 341 amber lit compass/temp/auto-dimming/maplight/homelink mirror. No more garage door opener clipped to visor or hidden.

Pics pls, and the source of the mirror :D

Weather finally warmed up enough to where I was able to clear coat the new trim pcs I got. Disappointed with the product (the clear) but the finish came out decent. No more silver, new trim is dark grey which is pretty close to the dash color. Also did the 03 cup holder upgrade

Last edited:
so today i'm doing a few little things .. 1. painting the bottom grill to match the top grill //white
took my emblems off to make evil mazda ..lol and making the mounting bracket for the rally lights .. i have also orderedunnamed (20).jpgunnamed (17).jpgunnamed (21).jpgunnamed (18).jpgunnamed (19).jpg the 35 inch racing mirror.. (2thumbs)

the only thing i have left to finish the rally bar (moon)lol

Last edited:
Today i will be painting my wiper arms ..

and the results ... ice white .. :)IMG_1633.JPGIMG_1623.JPGIMG_1630.JPGIMG_1631.JPGIMG_1622.JPG(laugh)(laugh)

Last edited:
Been spending a lot of time on my build. Almost ready to put the engine back in. Click the link in my sig if you're interested...

Bought some new front speakers to replace what I assumed were stock speakers. They were aftermarket (Quinn Audio?) and I have dynamat. Bit of a surprise.

Back