What have you done to your MSP today?

1st post...

What did I do to my MSP today?

Don't have one yet, but agreed to buy evilMonkeyMSP's ! cuz it's blue and I just gotta have it.

Booking flight to FL to go buy it. This is going to be an adventure.

(I own a 2002ES winter/salt car and 3 to 5 miatas depending how you count them.

Anyway, GOOD TO BE HERE and hope to be as big a PITA as I can.

welcome to the dark side

lol @ 3-5 miatas. welcome man.

Thanks!

Here's a few of them. I'll dig them out in the spring (if we have a spring).

attachment.php

Good luck, once you get new synchros in 3rd gear you will be good to go! I have always loved the Laser Blues.

Glad the monkey was upfront about the trans. I have an appointment set already to get the trans fixed (in Cocoa, FL).

Not sure if it is syncros or fork or bearings. Fork apparently has nylon interface that wears down?

He checked motormounts etc.

I dont remember any plastic coatings on any of the transmission parts from my tear down unless they are on the hub assemblies. i didn't take the shafts apart but dunno what he means by nylon.

should be an awesome car though. a pillar in our society for sure.
but meh. forks are cheap. synchros are cheap. just sucks pulling the shafts apart. change all the bearings if your gonna have it open though. you might as well. actually, i worked myself up for big expense building this car but really.. everything is pretty cheap if you can do it yourself.. i rebuilt my transmission on my desk in october. ill be pulling it and sending it for plate modding in the summer and rebuilding it again on the desk lol.
should be bullet proof this time.
wouldnt have cost me that much to fix it if i hadnt changed the clutch and flywheel at the same time. my msp has been pretty much 100% reliable. sure it has its share of weird noises and running conditions, but it has started and taken me to work every day since i baught it 5 years ago and only haveing the most basic maint done to it.

this is the year that kinda sucks cause im really tearing it down and rebuilding as much as i can all at once.. my trans going for plate modding, Mfactory LSD, pope is making me a turbo manifold and downpipe, while thats all being redied, the head is gonna be rebuilt on my bench just cause... and anything else i can do that doesn't cost $1000 cause it will be down for a month. hopefully i wont have to touch it again for some years.

this old "sh*tbox" has be awesome to own and work on so far. we almost got my wife a 2013 fit but we found her a 2003 ESGT auto for like $2000.. ill steer clear of new cars i cant work on as long as possible lol.

Fork apparently has nylon interface that wears down?

My OE transmission lasted to 180k. I've torn it down and another G series and I've never seen any type of "nylon interface" on the shift forks... At all. Not that I would have been looking, but how would that explain disengagement of a gear? I can't imagine the "nylon interface" being more than a few thousandths of an inch thick, so it wearing wouldn't, not that I can see anyway, cause you to experience gear disengagement.

My OE transmission lasted to 180k. I've torn it down and another G series and I've never seen any type of "nylon interface" on the shift forks... At all. Not that I would have been looking, but how would that explain disengagement of a gear? I can't imagine the "nylon interface" being more than a few thousandths of an inch thick, so it wearing wouldn't, not that I can see anyway, cause you to experience gear disengagement.

Speaking of transmissions.... I was hammering it and POP! CRUNCH! No more third gear! FuckinChrist man!

Since I had my 3rd gear, fork, and synchros replaced I have been much easier on my transmission without even realizing it.

damn pref, you must absolutely murder your car lol....

stories like this are making damn sure that im getting the plate mod done. probably never go as far as par gears or any of that or will i? 250hp is my goal without a major major rebuild.. 225ish on stock block even if possible.

ive been bouncing off gears a fair bit since changing to the new clutch... where the phuc should i have that pedel adjusted to? its kind of fiddly.

^your clutch pedal? getting my transmission, tie rods, endlinks, clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, clutch, and c.v. axles replaced.

not really sure where i should have the rod adjusted to for a stage 1 clutch. it never really feels particularly good =\

Speaking of transmissions.... I was hammering it and POP! CRUNCH! No more third gear! man!

Wow, sorry man. That's just bad luck.
I've got a shop doing mine (will be mine). What else should I be doing to it while it is out?
What is the plate mod? What is a welded diff? Do I lose LSD capability when welded?
My power goals are very humble. Just want durability and drivability. May do a unichip or splitsec with intent of fixing factory air fuel ratios.

Wow, sorry man. That's just bad luck.
I've got a shop doing mine (will be mine). What else should I be doing to it while it is out?
What is the plate mod? What is a welded diff? Do I lose LSD capability when welded?
My power goals are very humble. Just want durability and drivability. May do a unichip or splitsec with intent of fixing factory air fuel ratios.

plate mod = 5th-gear-plate-mod-transmission-brace-group-buy

Welded LSD =
lsd.jpg

If you go with a SSAFC check with CR3 for the best pricing.

So, after the new transmission goes in, I think I'll get dyno'd so we can see how little power it actually takes to destroy a transmission.

Drove her to work today, since there is no snow or road salt....alas, the snow comes back on Wednesday......back into hibernation mode.

thanks cleverfrog. That welding doesn't look too complicated. Would you trust trans shop with that job?

Back