What have you done to your MS3 today?

I had my K04 rebuilt earlier this year at about 105,000 miles. I had it done by Work Turbo in the Birmingham, Alabama, (turborepair.com). They charge $350 with quick turn around. I had a broken vane on the compressor side, so I opted to have a new CHRA installed at extra cost.

As to what I did today, (last night), I eliminated a front driver side clunk by tightning the upper nut on the sway bar end link, which had backed off a couple turns. Blue Loctite this time.
and if that doesnt do it use red loctite !!
How'd you break a vane and not ingest it !?

Stock K04? Time to get rid of it. :)

No thanks. I understand your intent, but this is my daily driver. I'm right where I want to be with power with my mods. I've gone the big turbo route on other cars, Saabs and Volvos. Turbo lag and unresponsiveness at less than WOT is no fun in stop and go driving. The K04 spools quick and can still give me 300 whp when called on. I really don't need more in this car.

No thanks. I understand your intent, but this is my daily driver. I'm right where I want to be with power with my mods. I've gone the big turbo route on other cars, Saabs and Volvos. Turbo lag and unresponsiveness at less than WOT is no fun in stop and go driving. The K04 spools quick and can still give me 300 whp when called on. I really don't need more in this car.
the car does have a sweet spot. One that doesn't cost and arm and a leg.
Took a couple years for folks to experiment and find what works.
Opening up the restrictions with intake and exhaust/intercooler works wonders for the stock turbo as long as you stay within its actual limits.

I've never once had that issue on my BNR. Certain spots have lag in higher gears below 3000 rpm. But I'd bet any money my setup is a key factor. As well as the ridiculous length of tubing for the FMIC.

I've never once had that issue on my BNR. Certain spots have lag in higher gears below 3000 rpm. But I'd bet any money my setup is a key factor. As well as the ridiculous length of tubing for the FMIC.
unlike Honda whose exhaust is mostly forward facing, the switch from the ets 3.5 which was truly nasty when boost came on the the Cpe which is booring but linear just sucked at first. But i have saved money on front tires.

I could make a top mount work with a cryo kit and meth along with a better flowing exhaust manifold. At that point there would be virtually no lag. But I don't go to work to make money.

I could make a top mount work with a cryo kit and meth along with a better flowing exhaust manifold. At that point there would be virtually no lag. But I don't go to work to make money.
The Top mounts are under rated. with a tubular exhaust some heatshield is in order though.
I am working on scavenging heat quickly from the exhaust mani and turbo. Such a shame to wrap a shiny SS 4-1 header.
Definitely jacking the rear of the bonnet this time. and creating some venturis in the engine bay.
: )

: )

I am thinking of pulling my radiator out now. this may never be finished

Happy New Year to Everyone !

I have a 2007 MS3 with FMIC and a Xedex Chip. It has 111,000 miles on the odometer. I am having issues with my wastegate opening when the boost reaches 5 lbs of pressure under acceleration which is like throwing out an anchor. If the outside temperature is under 50 degrees it happens all the time. When it is warmer, sometimes it works properly(wastegate doesn't open) after the engine is warmed up and I have shut it off and restarted the engine. I am at a loss to figure out this problem. Any ideas. Thanks Guys.

I have a 2007 MS3 with FMIC and a Xedex Chip. It has 111,000 miles on the odometer. I am having issues with my wastegate opening when the boost reaches 5 lbs of pressure under acceleration which is like throwing out an anchor. If the outside temperature is under 50 degrees it happens all the time. When it is warmer, sometimes it works properly(wastegate doesn't open) after the engine is warmed up and I have shut it off and restarted the engine. I am at a loss to figure out this problem. Any ideas. Thanks Guys.
Howdy !

Maybe this is not the best resource for technical answers. We just kinda bulls*** about washing our cars and stuff : )

But check your pressure and vacuum line starting at the wastegate back to the boost controller and the reference line. Also look at your ALL your intercooler piping and re secure the clamps.
Sounds like you are running off wastegate spring pressure and or have a major leak. of course i am no expert by any means.

110 k miles the lines are just starting to become "weathered"

I was looking at my heater hoses for reroute due to a new turbo install. and upon further inspection i came no notice they all were soft and cracking.
so i am replacing every single coolant line on the car. and all the Vac / pressure lines too.

Hope you find the leak !

What is Xedex chip? I'm reasonably conversant with tuning options for our platform and have never encountered it personally, here, or on other Mazdaspeed used forums. Can you provide a website link, user manual or other resource? Are you able to flash back to stock and resolve the issue? Is this "chip" capable of changing its tuning parameters? Is it intended to be used on a strictly stock engine? Is it a wired in piggy back or a true ECU map reflash? What other mods do you have besides the FMIC? Do you have data logging capability and can you post a log?

Wastegate spring pressure without boost control is 10-11 psi. If you are only seeing 5 something is terribly wrong.

Last edited:
Wastegate Opening Prematurely

What is Xedex chip? I'm reasonably conversant with tuning options for our platform and have never encountered it personally, here, or on other Mazdaspeed used forums. Can you provide a website link, user manual or other resource? Are you able to flash back to stock and resolve the issue? Is this "chip" capable of changing its tuning parameters? Is it intended to be used on a strictly stock engine? Is it a wired in piggy back or a true ECU map reflash? What other mods do you have besides the FMIC? Do you have data logging capability and can you post a log?

Wastegate spring pressure without boost control is 10-11 psi. If you are only seeing 5 something is terribly wrong.

It's a Xede Computer Chip. I bought the car in 2009 and it had 41K on the odometer. Here are the other mods made to this car by Bell Experimental Group in Spring Branch, TX back in 2007:

Cold air box
FMIC.
XEDE computer
Pop off valve
Hard motor mount

Have you had time to check ALL your fittings, hoses and clamps ?
always start with the basics
and good luck !

Back