What have you done to your MS3 today?

Blacked out my center caps to match my newly blacked out OEM rims. Ride looks sweet. I will try to get pics posted ASAP.

The only other cars that I know fairly well are Subarus.
WRX/STis need to get rid of their fogs if they go FMIC.
I was just expecting the piping to get in the way of the fogs.

Painted the chrome on my shirfter knob black.
ac692e3e.jpg

a1b01f2e.jpg

The only other cars that I know fairly well are Subarus.
WRX/STis need to get rid of their fogs if they go FMIC.
I was just expecting the piping to get in the way of the fogs.

I don't understand how fogs are a factor in any car for any company who makes aftermarket intercooler kits. Seems to me that as a consumer id be much more interested in buying from a company that makes piping around the rest of the equipment so that all I'm changing is the intercooler and nothing else

I don't understand how fogs are a factor in any car for any company who makes aftermarket intercooler kits. Seems to me that as a consumer id be much more interested in buying from a company that makes piping around the rest of the equipment so that all I'm changing is the intercooler and nothing else

There are several cars that are like that, the Audi A4/S4 being one of them. They just can't be done any other way.

Weirdness....I just like the look of fogs too much to let them go (if I were in a different car looking for a fmic that couldn't be done, that is)

Well, fogs probably don't matter anyway if you decide to go with an FMIC.
If what you want is more power, a small trade-off like that is insignificant.

Weirdness....I just like the look of fogs too much to let them go (if I were in a different car looking for a fmic that couldn't be done, that is)

Fog lights on a GD WRX are whatever.
On the MS3/3 wagon, they look great.
I actually like the fog light covers for the STis.

Speaking of FMIC, does anyone have any insight as to how well they work in northern climates with lots of snow? Like Wisconsin? I would love to put a FMIC on but I'm concerned with snow build up being that low to the ground. Any northerns with FMIC's that can speak to this?

subbed my Hotchkis rear sway and links for tri point, last week installed Whiteline tower brace. PITA!
Braille battery arrived i will need to decide where to mount and design a tray maybe. This morning replaced lug nuts with gunmetal open nuts.
I also tried an inspection. But i only hade 3 miles on her since putting battery back in after storage. So i go back tomorrow.
Lyon i use the Nitto, they have been good to me. But i only drive her in warm weather.

Speaking of FMIC, does anyone have any insight as to how well they work in northern climates with lots of snow? Like Wisconsin? I would love to put a FMIC on but I'm concerned with snow build up being that low to the ground. Any northerns with FMIC's that can speak to this?

Umm...assuming you mean your grill is getting packed with snow, you're worried about preventing air from going through the fins while driving?

I think at the point your air circulation is compromised you probably won't be driving near fast enough to worry about cooling down your air charge via intercooler. Because you ought to be driving slow at that point

A fmic is best for high traffic areas, and only if you like to be under heavy boost right off the line at a light. After about 15mph the top mount become efficient again so at that point there is minimal difference between a top mount and front mount

Now, technically speaking, any intercooler upgrade from stock will yield better gains from improved colling efficiency. But its all up to you

If its pro tuning and better 1/4 mile you want, go with a front mount. If you want improved cooling without the install hastle or extra price, go for top mount

Yes if you are packing your front mount with snow you most be snow crossing haha!
I think the speed 3 really makes good use of a larger intercooler. It was my first mod i believe. I recall touching my tail pipe after a hard drive and it was hot. That freaked me out a lot. I bought the ETS 3.5 top mount. Now that was when there were very few parts available and even Cobb had no tuning for us yet. But i was planning to go bigger turbo already.That was the biggest unit available.
Although it is over kill mostly. The only time i have heat soak is slow moving staging lanes at the strip. A larger top mount is useless for drag strip in our car, but very good for a road car.
But as a counterpoint. The arguement over turbo lag from a front mount may not be of much differnce with our little stock turbo.
Oakland has good advice again

Just read Grassroot Motorsports article on their project MS3...Part 7 deals with installing a Cpe FMIC. In a nutshell:

The magazine claims that the FMIC only created an additional 100rpm of lag over stock TMIC. While boost hits a very slightly higher spike level, it does not "rush on all of the sudden." At first, the magazine writers felt that the car was not hitting as much boost due to how smooth it was. Turns out the FMIC steadied their dyno runs and they overall approved of the mod--for a $1100 price, of course!

It is an interesting read, for sure, and provides a little extra scientific insight as they perform all sorts of tests. Hope this helps at least a very little. I am pro-FMIC over TMIC, but I do believe either one is a good upgrade!

Grassroots is an awesome magazine with good details. Obviously it's mostly scca oriented but a fine group doing the good work.
I laughed a bit because i have all the issues ( i hope ?) that included our speed three.
NP Oakland, i do what i can.
add. jri4, i think its a fact that the front mount is the better of the two options. I was going stealthy at first but that ship has long sailed and in the end i will succumb to the fmic

Last edited:
Back