What have you done to your Miata today?

Maybe, you're just getting old and slow? (insert emoji of guy hiding behind brick wall here)
If you can make it to MATG, I will be popping bags of popcorn for Mark, Levi and myself to watch the two of you "settle things". I typed and then erased "like gentleman" as we all know that none of us are. hahahaha

Got the Thinkware U1000 front dash cam installed last weekend. I played around with the settings a bit but need to go back in and change them. I set them way too soft and every little bump triggers an "impact detected" chime. 🤦‍♂️ Maybe I will get the rear camera installed this weekend, nust haven't felt like ripping the inside apart.

On another note, the mechanic should be calling me later today. Having him replace the right rear hub bearing that has been making some noise for a bit now. I ruled out "bearings" after I jacked the car up and found no play in any of the wheels. Yeah, my detective skills suck. lol Just happy it will be done prior to MATG, last thing I want is a wheel to go rolling past me while driving The Tail of the Dragon!o_O

Nitto NT05 235/40R17 on Enkei 17x8 rims

I just ran them this past Friday, and I was happy with the performance. Not a real hot day but once they warmed up they were pretty sticky and held well!

Drove home from lime rock in some downpours and I felt very confident. They felt vey planted an stable at highway speeds.
I had a set of Falkens with a pretty aggressive tread pattern and they were excellent in the rain!

Attachments

• 3C115D1F-9318-4A80-BFF0-306FC701D217.jpeg
    3C115D1F-9318-4A80-BFF0-306FC701D217.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 52
If you can make it to MATG, I will be popping bags of popcorn for Mark, Levi and myself to watch the two of you "settle things". I typed and then erased "like gentleman" as we all know that none of us are. hahahaha
Don't you suppose it will be more likely that Bruce and I will gang up on the rest of you? Then we'll be the ones with the popcorn!

I have been slacking with my posting. I forget when I did it but I finally got around to installing the front Thinkware U1000 dash cam. I used the Thinkware specific harness from MX5things to connect to my homelink mirror. It was harder finding a place on the windshield than to 'wire' it up. This harness not only makes it easy but it allows parked recording too with no other hardwiring/adapters required. I plan on installing the rear cam this weekend.

Back on the 4th of July, I did a simple oil change. Well, it was simple until I got two bolts from the front crossmember under cover stuck in 12mm sockets and had to resort to my last 12mm in the toolbox which was a deep socket. Then the last bolt where the cover is slotted stopped turning about halfway out. Fortunately it was loose enough that I could swing the cover out of the way. Re-installing the cover, I was able to get that 'stuck' bolt tight but will have to hit with some penetrating oil the next change. I got the two stuck bolts out of the sockets by spraying them down with WD-40, letting them sit for a bit and then smashing them into the driveway. :) Just when you think the story has a happy ending, while tightening the last bolt, the head sheared off in my socket. So now, I need to figure a way to get that out of there. :(

I keep forgetting you drive your car all year round. So they are pretty rusted….do you think one bolt Miss will make that much difference?

Yes and oddly the heads aren't really that rusted but the threads on a few are. All of the others broke easily as I torque them to spec each oil change. I guess I need to make spraying all of them down with a penetrating oil another step in my oil change SOP. haha

The cover is structural but so far I haven't noticed any significant changes with just the one missing. Ideally, I will figure out a way to remove it so I can get a new one installed.

Trying to decide which HU to replace the Kenwood. Looking at some BOSS units on Crutchfield. Seem to be a good value and has Android Auto. Need to get it installed before the trip.

I get my cars sprayed each year that see winter. Jeff, do you do that ?
Bruce, it is something I have considered but never done. Car now has three winters with me, would it even help? Or would I need to have the undercarriage cleaned then sprayed to be effective?
Trying to decide which HU to replace the Kenwood. Looking at some BOSS units on Crutchfield. Seem to be a good value and has Android Auto. Need to get it installed before the trip.
No experience with Boss but the the $300 unit on Crutchfield looks decent. And holy inflation, last time I bought a double din for my NC, I paid a few dollars more for my JVC.

Audio install in the Red Roof Inn parking lot?:ROFLMAO:

I didn't do mine till 3 winters later but then stopped driving it in the winters.

Here they clean the underside before they spray it.

As for the Red Roof Inn install, would sound like fun but need it installed for the trip!

Any fastener I remove from underneath a car gets a coating of anti-seize of some sort before putting them back. I have several different types, but mostly I use Bel-Ray Assembly Lube (with molybdenum!) available at fine motorcycle shops or from Amazon. Never had a problem with removing them after that. Those little push-pins that Mazda likes to use get cleaned up and hit with some WD-40 or the like so they don't jam up.

I didn't do mine till 3 winters later but then stopped driving it in the winters.

Here they clean the underside before they spray it.

As for the Red Roof Inn install, would sound like fun but need it installed for the trip!
Ok, something to look into.

Haha. Decide on a unit yet?

I upgraded my ProClip USA phone mount, as it won't hold my new phone with case, to a CravenSpeed Gemini MagSafe Charger Holder. Now that I am using wireless AA, my phone stays in my pocket more often than not but it will be nice to have this when needed.

So far I am impressed with the magnet strength, the charging isn't fast but I wasn't expecting it to be.

20230717_164535.jpg
20230717_164603.jpg

I upgraded my ProClip USA phone mount, as it won't hold my new phone with case, to a CravenSpeed Gemini MagSafe Charger Holder. Now that I am using wireless AA, my phone stays in my pocket more often than not but it will be nice to have this when needed.

So far I am impressed with the magnet strength, the charging isn't fast but I wasn't expecting it to be.

View attachment 320780View attachment 320781
Nice! I thought about this mod too, but I’d miss that cup holder! ☕

Latest posts

Back