What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Installed snow tires last night.
Firestone Winterforce in 205/60R16 on the stock wheels from my wife's (lamented) 2003.5 Protege5

Thanks for the post. Those are nice looking tires (and nice looking vehicle they're on). I rotated tires today. We'll see if it helps with snow traction. So far, there's been a lot of snow and winter traction with my all-season tires has been so-so. So I'm researching winter shoes and wheels for my 5.

For what it's worth, I've found that the 5 is terrible in the snow even with winter tires on it. The 50/50 weight distribution + FWD = might as well drive a RWD. I've seriously considered rigging up a way to hang some weights over the front end somewhere since you can't throw sandbags in the trunk like a RWD car. It's even worse when you load it up with people and cargo, as all that weight goes in the middle/rear of the car, meaning the front end is even lighter.

For what it's worth, I've found that the 5 is terrible in the snow even with winter tires on it. The 50/50 weight distribution + FWD = might as well drive a RWD.

I was afraid someone would say this... More weight in the rear of the car (vs say a sedan) being a disadvantage makes sense too. Ugh.

When I had mine, I felt that having snow tires was a must. I got them after the first snowfall and getting stuck just pulling out of parking spots. Better all season tires were a big improvement but they weren't Blizzaks. I found using the 2nd gear start helped a lot as well but you cant rock it too easily that way. A front LSD would be a huge upgrade of course if you can swing it. Winter performance is the one thing I will never miss about the 5, if only we got the AWD version..........

Thanks for the post. Those are nice looking tires (and nice looking vehicle they're on). I rotated tires today. We'll see if it helps with snow traction. So far, there's been a lot of snow and winter traction with my all-season tires has been so-so. So I'm researching winter shoes and wheels for my 5.

Prowl craigslist for the size tires you need. My set was from a Lexus IS and had the exact dimensions for wheels as well. I paid $450 with tires and alloys, added RX8 TPMS sensors for another $70. I sold the wheels after the car was totalled for $300 and used them for 6 years.

When I had mine, I felt that having snow tires was a must. I got them after the first snowfall and getting stuck just pulling out of parking spots. Better all season tires were a big improvement but they weren't Blizzaks. I found using the 2nd gear start helped a lot as well but you cant rock it too easily that way. A front LSD would be a huge upgrade of course if you can swing it. Winter performance is the one thing I will never miss about the 5, if only we got the AWD version..........

Never read anything about having an LSD on a Mz5... unlikely for me but might investigate. It's true about AWD: wish they offered it in the States.

Prowl craigslist for the size tires you need. My set was from a Lexus IS and had the exact dimensions for wheels as well. I paid $450 with tires and alloys, added RX8 TPMS sensors for another $70. I sold the wheels after the car was totalled for $300 and used them for 6 years.

I read that Mazda 16" steelies (from 2010-13 Mz3) is the way to go in terms of fit for the wheel hub and cost. Didn't think of adding TPMS sensors but probably best to do that. Will see.

Bought a set from a speed 3 owner - 16" steelies and winter tires added tpms sensors - night and day difference

Had a good 6 month of uneventful "driving" the car.
Mostly wife drives it, but once in a while I have to as well.
Finding out that the front seat cushion no longer provides adequate support. It feels really firm and is starting to give me butt pains even on short 20 minute trips.
My other car, Nissan pathfinder, is twice as old and has twice as many miles but the seat is still way more comfortable for the trips.
I'm recently finding myself trying to avoid driving 5 due to the seat comfort alone.

A little something to spice up a bland interior.. Blue leds on HVAC controls and a shifter knob.

attachment.php

Car is going back to stock. This thing looks and drives like a 4x4 :p

Removed YellowSpeed Coilover
Removed aux ATF cooler and aux filter
Reconnect FSB
MS3 RSB coming off this weekend

I was afraid someone would say this... More weight in the rear of the car (vs say a sedan) being a disadvantage makes sense too. Ugh.

I made my first drive in heavy snow in my MZ5 a couple of weeks ago. I have to say, I was prepared for it to be a little ugly (and, being the California Sierras, I was carrying chains in the event of total snow-carnage) and I was actually not that disappointed with it. The ground clearance was more often a limiting factor for me than traction at launch, and the only time I couldn't get going at all from a full stop was in the middle of a steep icy uphill stretch. That said, I'm a very slow and cautious driver in the snow.

I think most RWD vehicles where people really complain are exceptionally light in the rear, like pickup trucks that can be 70/30 unloaded. That is a recipe for unhappiness.

Ruby

Got rear ended by a DUI idiot yesterday evening (some 90s Chevy longbed PU).

Car performed admirably give the speed delta of probably 30mph.
I was last in line in backed up traffic (very common spot) towards a stop light in a 55mph zone.
The main difference was likely that I was going 5-10mph at the time, which knocked off the initial inertia in the crash and gave us a decent "boost".

Wife took a bite into her cellphone (almost literally, while using it).
My head is a buzzing a bit, left shoulder is a b**** today. Doc appointment coming up to be on the safe side.

Rear hatch has a smaller hole. Bumper cover is hanging on barely. Luckily, I cannot see any damage, or deformation to any neighboring body parts & panels.
Underneath, the bumper is spent. Support is bent, extended mounting post on one side deformed - great to live in times of computer simulations, no damage beyond.
Car tracks straight.

Will see what the insurance will say.
Pissed because it took me some effort and $$$ to find a matching color hatch last Spring to replace the one, cracked at the hinges.
Car is driveable. I can do the repairs. Have to decide if I spend the $$$, or go with zipties and spackle until I find the needed parts.
Sigh, I should probably put some of my removed seats back in to make it look like a car, not a delivery van to the adjuster.

Let me take my chances here. I'm game for:
Blue/green hatch & bumper cover. Bumper support & styrofoam insert.

Too busy to find a file hoster. Pictures:
P1300001_resize.JPG
P1300003_resize.JPG
P1300005_blur_resize.JPG
P1300006_resize.JPG
P1300007_resize.JPG

Oh, that DUI guy?!
There was no immediate smell of alcohol. Maybe it was Oxycontin, maybe he was diabetic (...).

It took me and a good Samaritan who also stopped to get him under control.
Not that he was aggressive. But he was tumbling between ditch and busy road, crashed, tried to get up again.
Mumbling about chest pain (no airbag, likely no seatbelt either). Hey, he was at least wearing a reflective vest.
Police found an expired insurance card, will see what the outcome is there.

Glad no one was seriously injured! Scary stuff.

So you're saying the pics reflect a ~25 mph speed difference between the 5 and the truck? If so, that's an impressively little amount of damage...

Glad no one was seriously injured! Scary stuff.

So you're saying the pics reflect a ~25 mph speed difference between the 5 and the truck? If so, that's an impressively little amount of damage...

+1

Can't believe that a 30 mph speed delta yielded this. Blessing. Hope y'all recover back to 100% quickly.

Lets see what the insurance says.
Looks like about 3k of damage, hope they don't write if off if you need to keep it.

I agree, it's almost a miracle all the sheet metal is in place and all gaps around the sliding doors and rear hatch are still aligned.

Police report also mentions 30mph. The pick-up had a very crumpled fender, hood (which likely pierced my hatch), very bent bumper, and enough damage behind to loose coolant and AC fluids. 90s US pick-ups seem to make good crash cushions. That, and us not standing still.
I see ~$1500 in new & used parts needed to make it whole again - if I have to shop using dealers that specialize in part-outs. Unless the payout is a good deal more than what we paid for it (got it relatively cheap and fixed stuff), we are keeping it. I've been lurking on CL for a Suzuki SX4 hatch with 6spd stick and AWD. In some ways I see it as quirky as a miniature Mazda5 van (with MT).

Edit:
Forgot to mention.
I realized some interior trim of the hatch shows white-ish lines, suggesting the hatch suffered some pretty good deflection during the crash. The bumper cover also has a fold in it. Both popped back into their original shape. The magic of plastic!

Last edited:
Glad no one was hurt and good to see the car held up well!

I think it will be declared totaled b/c of the car's low market value... IF so, you will have the option to buy it back dirt cheap if you want to restore for cheap but resale will suffer. or drive it into the ground (figuratively).

I'm also a big fan of the SX4. You should also consider the Mitsu Outlander. Both quirky but real Japanese cars with similar AWD systems; the Mitsu a little more advance.

Back