What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Silentnoise, when I was hammering my front rotors off, I had both front wheels off the ground so I could turn the rotor and hit all areas both from the front and the back. But it was hitting from the front that finally broke them off so I could actually get the whole rotor off.

We own two Mazda5s, a 2008 and a 2012. I run 16-inch rims with snow tires on both of them and I don't think that would work if I were to install MazdaSpeed3 brakes that are sized for 18 (and maybe 17)-inch rims.

Holy mackerel, thats a badly seized rotor right there! What did your caliper slide pins look like if you don't mind my asking. I must be in the minority who feels that the stock brakes do a fine job. To be fair, my 5 is driven around with only me on board 90% of the time. I have thought about going to the MS3 brakes just to do it though.

My slide pins weren't too bad. There was some gunk on the end of the pins closest to the threads, but a little wire brush cleaned it right up. When I put the pins back in I put on a light coat of some blue ceramic brake lube.

Holy mackerel, thats a badly seized rotor right there! What did your caliper slide pins look like if you don't mind my asking. I must be in the minority who feels that the stock brakes do a fine job. To be fair, my 5 is driven around with only me on board 90% of the time. I have thought about going to the MS3 brakes just to do it though.

I put so much Anti-Seize on mine they were swimming in it! No kill like overkill when it comes to those little suckers. Since the pins weren't too bad off I'm guessing that your rubber covers were still in place?

Dipped the wheels:
DSC03025_zps02dc942f.jpg

DSC03023_zps3c9ca7a1.jpg

Thanks! This was my first attempt, and think it came out ok all things considered. I did contemplate just buying new rims of a similar color, but decided I'd rather only spend $40 on some plastidip than $400+ on new rims.

...but decided I'd rather only spend $40 on some plastidip than $400+ on new rims.

Smart move. Thinking about experimenting with my take-off wheels and doing something similar. We have a powdercoat system at work. Also made myself a parking space today. There was way too many bicycles in the carport.
20130825_180355.jpg

Put in a Pioneer head unit and installed the JBR short shift plate/knob.
FEB635A9-B329-43A0-9D33-A0BD47F62D60-5763-0000010EBE0F270A_zps785ec9fd.jpg

Removed the gaudy stock pinstripe and door guards.
EA51087C-53AB-4FF6-86B7-4DC7922F02D8-5763-0000010EC52D6A67_zpsf66723a5.jpg

Installed the rear bumper appliqu.
C4020AC5-AC73-48D9-9621-5C883CACD044-5763-0000010ED4AFEB29_zps6ae39225.jpg

Later this week:
JBR rear sway bar
Tint taillights.

Coming soon:
H&R lowering springs
Koni Yellows (all four)
JBR rear camber arms
Wheels

I took our 2008 Mazda5 (black) to the spa on Saturday. Wash and dry followed by a once-over with the clay bar, foaming wheel cleaner and tire shine to boot. Then I did the same with our 2012 Mazda5 (white), all except the clay bar. They both looked like a million bucks side by side in the garage.

Rodslinger, thats a pretty cool "parking space" you made there! Good you put the H&Rs on there or your 5 wouldn't fit under it LOL Now I'm contemplating removing my rub strips from the doors as well. Probably not gonna work for me, the Cardinal Red doesn't resisit sun fading as well as silver does. And I don't have the time to buff out the whole car. As an aside, my cheapness when buying a PNP HID kit has bit me in the ass, my drivers side ballast went tits up yesterday evening :( I'm thinking of adapting a TRS retro-quick meant for the 3 and then getting some E-55 projectors from TRS for the high beams. Double retrofit FTW!!

Code:
Rodslinger, thats a pretty cool "parking space" you made there! Good you put the H&Rs on there or your 5 wouldn't fit under it LOL Now I'm contemplating removing my rub strips from the doors as well. Probably not gonna work for me, the Cardinal Red doesn't resisit sun fading as well as silver does. And I don't have the time to buff out the whole car. As an aside, my cheapness when buying a PNP HID kit has bit me in the ass, my drivers side ballast went tits up yesterday evening :( I'm thinking of adapting a TRS retro-quick meant for the 3 and then getting some E-55 projectors from TRS for the high beams. Double retrofit FTW!!

Taking off the door guards was a 30 minute project. Make sure it's nice and hot outside, then peel them off from the pointed edges, the adhesive comes right up with it. Use some sicker remover spray and buff out any leftover areas, then spray and wipe the areas down with quick-detailer.

Worst case take off a section and clean it off. See how faded the paint really is before you do the whole car.

Took a road trip and discovered while at a stop that my front driver tire has a huge bubble, yikes! There's also a nice black marking on the rim so this leads me to belive the car must have hit a pot hole or something... Had to put the donut on the rear and move the rear to the front. The previous gorillas tighten the lug nuts on so tight I had a difficult time stomping it off with the tire iron!!... Grrrr.

Public Service Announcement:
1) CHECK THE AIR PRESSURE ON YOUR SPARE TIRE!!! Mine was down to 10psi. Luckily I carry around a cheapo electric air pump (mainly for bikes) that helped me in the pinch. A can of fix-a-flat is not going to help me here.
2) Carry a scrap steal pipe extension so you can He-man the lugs off easily. I guess this is not a concern if you didn’t over tighten to start with.

Now I need to shop for tires since they are worn pretty low anyway… I know I want GT All seasons. Torn between these four. Anyone have experience with the RE97AS or Cinturato P7? I was about to go Primacy but the Cinturato has my attention due to cost.
-Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS (Grand Touring All-Season)
-Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology (Grand Touring All-Season)
-Michelin Primacy MXV4 (Grand Touring All-Season)
-Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (Grand Touring All-Season)

Silentnoise, when I was hammering my front rotors off, I had both front wheels off the ground so I could turn the rotor and hit all areas both from the front and the back. But it was hitting from the front that finally broke them off so I could actually get the whole rotor off.
This reminds me of how piercing loud the metal to metal contact was (shudder). Next time, I will wear ear plugs...

We own two Mazda5s, a 2008 and a 2012. I run 16-inch rims with snow tires on both of them and I don't think that would work if I were to install MazdaSpeed3 brakes that are sized for 18 (and maybe 17)-inch rims.
The powers at Google says 16" rim clear MS3 calipers. Rim offset will determine if you need spacers.

(not directed towards you) I don't quite understand how folks are willing to dump hundreds into audio and other trinkets but would not put up $200 to improve brakes to save an accident. The MS3 calipers is NOT comparable to better pads on the existing Mz5 brakes. Better pads on MS3 brakes is comparable to better pads on Mz5 brakes and I assure you the MS3 brakes with better pads win :)

I guess it is just me. I value brakes -a lot. I think in part I had an experience where the master cylinder developed a leak and I lost pressure and know the scary feeling to push the pedal and still have the car plow forward. An experience like that made me respect brakes.

Thanks! This was my first attempt, and think it came out ok all things considered. I did contemplate just buying new rims of a similar color, but decided I'd rather only spend $40 on some plastidip than $400+ on new rims.

Only thing to watch out for is when your cleaning your tires close to the rim. The paint has nasty habit of coming off around those areas.

Back