What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Got new front brake pads and shims installed yesterday to fix minor brake noise referencing in this TSB. Tech says the noise is still there but I haven't heard it yet (though I've only had it for a day). They want me to bring it back in.

I also had them perform a brake fluid exchange service. The car is almost 3 years old and the fluid in the reservoir was brown so I figured it was time.

Finally got the 9 lowered. I am digging the look, and the ride is a tad firmer.

Lower_025.JPG

Lower_006.JPG

Spec'd drop is 1.75"/1.5".
Net drop is 1.625"/1.25".

Put on my Yakima roof box. I think it works well with the winter tire setup: Fast FC05 18" wheels and Blizzak DMV2. Excuse the dirty car!

Attachments

• IMG_20201221_114316.jpg
    IMG_20201221_114316.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20201221_114337.jpg
    IMG_20201221_114337.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20201221_114326.jpg
    IMG_20201221_114326.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 252
Put on my Yakima roof box. I think it works well with the winter tire setup: Fast FC05 18" wheels and Blizzak DMV2. Excuse the dirty car!
I'd be curious to know the MPG after roof box, before roof box, and before cross rails. Most cross rails are not removable causing a 2-3 MPG loss.

Short video of stututu as the engine warmed up...

considering getting this, not sure if I’m going to like it. I wonder if it gets annoying over time. Any noticeable driving performance changes? How about overall sound changes outside of hearing the turbo in all its glory?

You just lost performance by doing that. Factory set up already had cold air intake from front area that you now removed and placed inside the engine bay with hot air, not a good move

You just lost performance by doing that. Factory set up already had cold air intake from front area that you now removed and placed inside the engine bay with hot air, not a good move

Factory also has placed an intercooler on the front to cool intake temps...
Edit: before someone says, "well if you're idling in traffic...blah" I have a strange schedule for work and don't sit in traffic, only time on this engine I can see it being affected by warm induction air temps

considering getting this, not sure if I’m going to like it. I wonder if it gets annoying over time. Any noticeable driving performance changes? How about overall sound changes outside of hearing the turbo in all its glory?

If the CS dyno is accurate, its not likely I will notice any increase in power. Though I did find when I opened my air box that probably a chipmunk has been making a nest under the filter. So theoretically, I would have seen a decrease in power soon with the stock box. I can see where this intake would get kinda iffy with the sound. Under most driving, you won't notice a thing. But on the highway, if you press the gas to give load under low rpms, you absolutely hear the suction sounds with the music off. I have small kids and we occasionally drive home from the inlaws about 2 hours at night and it may be a touch loud in the cabin with the radio off. But overall, the louder box noises and occasional turbo suction sounds is kinda addictive, and stutututu

Last edited:
Just got in the Husky cargo liner and a key fob silicone cover.

Tuxmats are on the way and placing an order for an ebay SD nav card.

Boring upgrades, but I am a mid 30s married guy with 3 young kids. Past the old days of racing imports and modifying my sportbikes. 😄

The induction sound is more prominent with the aftermarket intake. I don't really notice the turbo flutter much in regular driving, but you'll hear it if you're accelerating in the higher RPM range and then let off the throttle completely. I've had the intake on for over a year now I think and I haven't gotten sick of it at all. Personally I have felt a slight increase in performance, but its really only noticeable at the higher RPMs, like when I merge onto a highway.

I did a sound comparison with the OEM airbox when I first got the intake in 2019. Here's a link to the post with the video.

If you're looking for something that gives noticeable driving performance changes, you'll have to wait for a tuning solution from Versatune or Burger Motorsports - I believe both are currently working on something for the 2.5T. DRTuned in Canada is another option but I haven't heard anything from them in a while.

Just got in the Husky cargo liner and a key fob silicone cover.

Tuxmats are on the way and placing an order for an ebay SD nav card.

Boring upgrades, but I am a mid 30s married guy with 3 young kids. Past the old days of racing imports and modifying my sportbikes. 😄

Some of those were my first mods on this car too. Then I got wheels and an intake... I'm still a 20 year old in a mid-30s body lol.

Installed my ebay navi SD card today. Vehicle recognized the card within 30 seconds and works great. I LOVE the turn by turn on the HUD, never had this before in any vehicle and it's pretty amazing to me lol.

The big test is trying to update it with mazda connect on my computer, where all the issues from the other tread happened with these ebay cards. 🤞

Taking a snow trip next Tuesday, 1 day after I bring the CX9 back to the dealership for the delivery detail wax job owed to me.

I just can't bring our shiney new CX9 to the snow yet...my tuxmats haven't arrived and might not arrive before our trip. Will take my 2019 Tahoe this time around, CX9 for sure next trip.

Replaced dead OEM battery on my '17 CX9 with Costco Interstate Group 35 standard battery. Cleaned up terminals and protected terminals with CRC Battery Cleaner/CRC Battery protector.

Also replaced both Key Fob batteries with Amazon Basics CR2025 and remote start fobs batteries with Amazon Basics CR2032.

@Benhui86 are your window deflectors OEM? How are they holding up when you go through automated washes?

I saw these for cheap and had free shipping:

Just want to see if I should go OEM or not.. the installation likely is the same with double sided tape.

Back