What have you done to your CX-9 today?

2020 about a week and a half old. It sat at the port of Baltimore for a few months though due to C-19 and the dealership had construction going on. I hit it with griots complete compound after a full panel clay bar. Im still iffy about the spray on ceramic waxes but everyone swears by them so we shall see. Im going to predict im going to strip off the ceramic wax in a few weeks, polish, wax (paste-griots), then seal it all in with 2 nice coats of the ceramic wax.

Hmm, I thin ceramic should go on unprotected paint as any other sealant can compromise the bonding if I'm not mistaken. I washed, clayed, iron-x'd, washed, compounder, polished, washed again and then ceramic coated. I also coated my rims with ceramic as it'll allow better cleanup and less brake dust will adhear to the rims.

Hmm, I thin ceramic should go on unprotected paint as any other sealant can compromise the bonding if I'm not mistaken. I washed, clayed, iron-x'd, washed, compounder, polished, washed again and then ceramic coated. I also coated my rims with ceramic as it'll allow better cleanup and less brake dust will adhear to the rims.
I went off of the griots website and their videos make it seem like it can be added at any stage you want. Their polish is more for removing any paint swirls but still leaves a protectant layer on the surface. Im really just trying to layer it as much as I can since I live in the northeast and my commute is long and I have to drive no matter the weather.

I went off of the griots website and their videos make it seem like it can be added at any stage you want. Their polish is more for removing any paint swirls but still leaves a protectant layer on the surface. Im really just trying to layer it as much as I can since I live in the northeast and my commute is long and I have to drive no matter the weather.

Yeah I used polish that is 100% for correction, no protection. What's left is 100% unprotected paint. That's the best bonding surface for ceramic coatings. I used a coating that came in a small glass vial and was applied using a small cloth like you get to clean glasses with. I did 1 payed of that and you can see all of my high spots I left lmao. It was my first ceramic coating ever so you can't blame me. The hood is the worst and it got better over the rest of the car. From there you can layer on for sure. But the ceramic in order for it to last longest needs virgin clear coat, some last a long time (mine says up to 2 years) if you layer a 2 year costing over a synthetic wax that can last 3-6 months, that coating will be compromised after the wax wears off.

Yeah I used polish that is 100% for correction, no protection. What's left is 100% unprotected paint. That's the best bonding surface for ceramic coatings. I used a coating that came in a small glass vial and was applied using a small cloth like you get to clean glasses with. I did 1 payed of that and you can see all of my high spots I left lmao. It was my first ceramic coating ever so you can't blame me. The hood is the worst and it got better over the rest of the car. From there you can layer on for sure. But the ceramic in order for it to last longest needs virgin clear coat, some last a long time (mine says up to 2 years) if you layer a 2 year costing over a synthetic wax that can last 3-6 months, that coating will be compromised after the wax wears off.
Ah gotcha, yeah one of the main reasons I went with a wax/ceramic combo is the ability to be added at any layer. It also makes it really easy to buff out any high spots, as you may. my hood took the longest but once I realized that less is more it got easier. The fully ceramic stuff worries me because in order for it to be taken off completely, you have to soak chemicals on the surfaces and start fresh. Makes it really difficult to compound out any scratches and blend the ceramic back in. I want the UV and water protection of ceramic but the layers of other products to physically protect the paint.

In case any one was wondering the Level of OCD I have with detailing, I lay out my products before hand to make sure I have enough of what I need. Hence the double bottles of window cleaner. I like my griots if you can't tell. But hidden in the back is back to black gel tire shine. Its worth the extra effort to rub the stuff on versus the spray on stuff. I use the griots tire shine (not pictured) for the black trim when it needs it. (Used on my 15 cx-5)
20200901_073611.jpg

In case any one was wondering the Level of OCD I have with detailing, I lay out my products before hand to make sure I have enough of what I need. Hence the double bottles of window cleaner. I like my griots if you can't tell. But hidden in the back is back to black gel tire shine. Its worth the extra effort to rub the stuff on versus the spray on stuff. I use the griots tire shine (not pictured) for the black trim when it needs it. (Used on my 15 cx-5)
View attachment 226769

Solid lineup @The ManLaw . Added my current detailing lineup here too: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-car-care-thread.123869395/post-6700544

As for this final long weekend of summer. One last chance to wash, clean, detail, and protect before the Fall throws the rains down on the "Wet Coast" of B.C. Big thanks to Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax & 303 for making it sparkle in the sunshine this long weekend.

IMG_5917.JPG

IMG_5906.JPG

Did an oil change yesterday. Temps are starting to come down around here, so I'll need to apply a layer of wax soon.

Did an oil change yesterday. Temps are starting to come down around here, so I'll need to apply a layer of wax soon.

Just waxed mine yesterday with the falling temps too. I ended up not being too much of a fan of how much dust and dirt stuck to the griots 3in1 ceramic wax. Went and bought Chemical Guys butter wax (I had a gift card, why now). The shine with the butter wax is crazy good.

BTW, I was looking at the shine at night with my fairly strong LED flash light last night and you can actually see the difference in the paint that's on metal vs plastic like the rear bumper. Ill try to get a pic of it tonight when I get out of work.
20200926_005502.jpg

20200926_005438.jpg

Last edited:
Popped the winter tires on yesterday. Need to give it a good wash soon!

IMG_20201019_094504.jpg

Finally fixed Front passenger window motor on my CX-9. Feels great to see the window go up and down smoothly without getting stuck. Working on Driver's window motor but hit a road bump on that. Learned from my mistakes and passenger window motor fix was pretty simple after the experience. Need to polish front headlights and fix molding on rear quarter panel passenger side.

Today I installed an Axle back Exhaust onto my CX-9. It's a lot louder now and sounds good with my SRI install. I also installed a boost tube but I'm not sure it makes a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_2962.jpg
    IMG_2962.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2963.jpg
    IMG_2963.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2964.jpg
    IMG_2964.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2965.jpg
    IMG_2965.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 230
Today I installed an Axle back Exhaust onto my CX-9. It's a lot louder now and sounds good with my SRI install. I also installed a boost tube but I'm not sure it makes a difference.

So shiny and new!

Any video clips? Would love to hear how it sounds from inside the cabin, and also from outside.

Today I installed an Axle back Exhaust onto my CX-9. It's a lot louder now and sounds good with my SRI install. I also installed a boost tube but I'm not sure it makes a difference
Looks really good, was thinking about the axle back from corksport as well but afraid there might be drone in the cabin at highway speeds. Please let us know if there is any?

Looks really good, was thinking about the axle back from corksport as well but afraid there might be drone in the cabin at highway speeds. Please let us know if there is any?
I've driven with it for almost a month now and I can tell you there is a bit of drown at highway speeds. But it's not bad. I listen to music an it goes away.

Been away from the 9 due to a medical situation, but a few weeks ago I was able to finish a project i started back in August.

Added a power outlet to the center cubby, so my air freshener could have a permanent home. Was a lot of work for a freaking air freshener. LOL

And today I replaced a reverse led bulb that wad flickering. Thanks to Diode Dynamics for the pair of warranty bulbs.

Attachments

• DC144EF4-226E-43AA-82CD-AD73F4574718.jpeg
    DC144EF4-226E-43AA-82CD-AD73F4574718.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 3EA8953E-98AE-4397-B241-AA0882C859F8.jpeg
    3EA8953E-98AE-4397-B241-AA0882C859F8.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 144
  • 329D1E8B-4C1F-4C3C-A8D9-59C42FD197DB.jpeg
    329D1E8B-4C1F-4C3C-A8D9-59C42FD197DB.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 139
Weather has calmed down a bit and the forecast calls for pretty mild temps for the next week or so. Roads are also dry for the most part, so I took the car to a touchless wash, then gave it a QD wipedown yesterday. Here's a pic. Check out my awesome photography and parking skillz LOL

IMG_20201130_115304.jpg

Changed my 4+ year old oem panasonic battery out today. Didn't experience any issues at all and didn't need memory saver.

Question.. what is the did between autozone duralast gold $169 vs Costco interstate $79? Same CCA, same 36mo warranty. I guess autozone offers installation but.. I'm really interested in the price diff

Changed my 4+ year old oem panasonic battery out today. Didn't experience any issues at all and didn't need memory saver.

Question.. what is the did between autozone duralast gold $169 vs Costco interstate $79? Same CCA, same 36mo warranty. I guess autozone offers installation but.. I'm really interested in the price diff

Not sure what the difference is exactly, but I would be fine going with the Costco. I actually replaced the battery in my Civic with a Costco battery about 3 years ago. No issues at all so far.

Back