What does your Mazda dealer charge for an oil change and rotation?

$100 is what Lexus used to charge me. Then I started doing it myself. I've always done our CX-5 myself.

Oil change is easy and can be done without even lifting the vehicle. Tire rotations can be had for free at a place like Discount Tire.

$100 is fair, if they use high quality motor oil. I go to a mechanic down the street from me, and he charges me $20. I bring my own oil and filter.

Oil (Motul 5W-30): $60
Filter (OEM): $10
Labour: $20

So a dealer charging $100 is fair.

$69.99. SF Bay Area
They want you to come in and sell you other services... ;)
1637348226221.png

Used to be around 70-80 bucks for full syn and rotation (prior covid). nowadays could very well be up to 100.
First oil with Mazda is always free as far as my experience shows.

Beware Turbo owners!

Many Mazda dealers use cheaper and inferior (supposedly by forum members here) filter, PY8W-14-302MV, which was made in Mexico. I'd suggest to use 1WPY-14-302 made by Denso in Thailand. A bit more expensive, but members here like this one including myself.

I do these myself on Rhino Ramps, easy-peasy. Not to save money, but to do it right.

Putnam . . . the name sounds very familiar. Is it in Burlingame?
I bought my first new car there, a 1981 Buick Century Limited - a piece of S**T. I swore I'll never buy another GM built vehicle again.

Beware Turbo owners!

Many Mazda dealers use cheaper and inferior (supposedly by forum members here) filter, PY8W-14-302MV, which was made in Mexico. I'd suggest to use 1WPY-14-302 made by Denso in Thailand. A bit more expensive, but members here like this one including myself.

I do these myself on Rhino Ramps, easy-peasy. Not to save money, but to do it right.
Where are you getting the Denso made filter?
Looks like my first oil change was done with a Mexican made one.

I bought one from local dealer for $11.63 including tax. While its list price is $8.99, this dealer's price was $10.72+tax.

Ordered a dozen 1WPY-14-302 from oempartsource.com for $6.16/ea + sh. It's just over $7/ea after shipping. It doesn't say it's by Denso, I read it from this forum that Denso makes them. The Mexican made PY8W-14-302-MV can be bought for $4.**, dealers use them to maximize their profit.

Just received service coupon from my dealer. Haven't gone to them in 2 years (doing my own oil changes and rotations). Anyway, 59.95 synthetic oil, 39.95 standard oil for OC and rotation. They've always used a Mazda filter, not some economy one.

Some dealers like the one I posted do not plan to make $$$ from oil change + tire rotation deal. They want your vehicles in their garage and sell you other services....
They have been telling me to replace brake pads before the Covid hit. Recently they told me: "You got only 3mm left, front and rear."
How much? "I can give you $700 for both."
Yeah, right.

"You got only 3mm left, front and rear."
How much? "I can give you $700 for both."
Yeah, right.
Are you doing them yourself? Or what do think a reasonable price on F & R brakes?

Last edited:
Not my turn to answer, but if I do the brakes, parts cost would be under $200 front & rear from Rock Auto, tax and shipping included. I don't know how much rotor life he's got left, likely not to replace rotors.

What's the reasonable cost? Don't know.

Are you doing them yourself? Or what do think a reasonable price on F & R brakes?
In SF Bay area, I think $250-$300 is a fair price per axle.
(references:
Mazda in San Diego: $230
Tracy Mazda (bay area): $250
My friend who owns an indie shop near me: $220)

No. I don't DIY any more. Yes when I was a graduate student.

Last edited:
Back