What do you put in the cubby above the hood release?

I keep one of the cup holder spacers there. I'm a spirited driver, and it hasn't budged.

Has Anyone taken that cubby out to see what's behind it? I'm just wondering if there is some obstruction back there that prevented mazda from making it a bit deeper and more useful.

Has Anyone taken that cubby out to see what's behind it? I'm just wondering if there is some obstruction back there that prevented mazda from making it a bit deeper and more useful.

Here is what it looks like on 2013-2015 models with the TOM TOM wiring...

I have no idea what it looks like on the 2016 models...(bolt)

[video=youtube;39WOf-zceEs]

I have no idea what it looks like on the 2016 models...(bolt)

On the 2016, it looks the same as yours before you installed the SD card reader in it. On the 2016, the SD card reader is at the bottom of the center panel, in front of the shifter. You can see it in the picture.

2016-CX-5-interior_zpsedaklnkx.jpg

On the 2016, it looks the same as yours before you installed the SD card reader in it. On the 2016, the SD card reader is at the bottom of the center panel, in front of the shifter. You can see it in the picture.

2016-CX-5-interior_zpsedaklnkx.jpg

What car is that to have both a Manual transmission and heated seats?

I see that the tach red lines around 5000 rpm, this must be a diesel one?

What car is that to have both a Manual transmission and heated seats?

I see that the tach red lines around 5000 rpm, this must be a diesel one?

Hmm, you'll also notice that all 4 of the window switches are illuminated. But the panel seems to be missing the door lock switch? Here's the American driver's door panel:

35_400.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, you'll also notice that all 4 of the window switches are illuminated. But the panel seems to be missing the door lock switch?
Not just illuminated, that means all 4 windows have one-touch up-and-down feature where many people wished we could have it here in the US!

It also has power folding outside rear-view mirrors.

Not just illuminated, that means all 4 windows have one-touch up-and-down feature where many people wished we could have it here in the US!

I wonder if that Euro spec'd window switch control panel could be installed in the US CX-5 to gain the one touch up down feature? I also wonder if the window switch from the new Mazda6's could be put in, they look very similar. I don't know if the one touch is controlled purely by the switch or if they have different motors in the doors.

I wonder if that Euro spec'd window switch control panel could be installed in the US CX-5 to gain the one touch up down feature? I also wonder if the window switch from the new Mazda6's could be put in, they look very similar. I don't know if the one touch is controlled purely by the switch or if they have different motors in the doors.

Good question. I'm not an expert in car electronics but if the solution is just to install a different switch worth a couple more bucks at the most, Mazda Customer Support would deserve a sh*tload of nasty emails. Just sayin'........

Good question. I'm not an expert in car electronics but if the solution is just to install a different switch worth a couple more bucks at the most, Mazda Customer Support would deserve a sh*tload of nasty emails. Just sayin'........

Hold your nasty e-mail. Making the remaining 3 windows open and close automatically is not as simple as you assume.

All 3 window motors would need to be upgraded to motors with two hall effect switches (so the PW Control Module can count motor revolutions or, more accurately, fractions of revolutions). And the control module would need to be upgraded to be able to count the revolutions of all four motors. Whenever your battery was disconnected it would be necessary to recalibrate all four windows instead of one.

Simply replace the PW switches with panel won't do it. One-touch up-and-down power window feature normally requires more sensors and special mechanism for anti-pinch safety feature and the PW control module is different or needs to be reprogrammed to support this function. This is the same on "automatic" moon-roof where CX-5 doesn't have.

Stepping motor is only needed for memory seat feature so that the seat, outside rearview mirrors, steering wheel, if applicable but not on CX-5, can return to the memorized positions.

I checked behind the cubby and there's a tag that reads "If you're reading this create a thread asking what to put here".

Hold your nasty e-mail. Making the remaining 3 windows open and close automatically is not as simple as you assume.

All 3 window motors would need to be upgraded to motors with two hall effect switches (so the PW Control Module can count motor revolutions or, more accurately, fractions of revolutions). And the control module would need to be upgraded to be able to count the revolutions of all four motors. Whenever your battery was disconnected it would be necessary to recalibrate all four windows instead of one.

I didn't assume anything so don't get your panties in a wad again. I wrote that 1) I'm not an expert and 2)IF a different switch provided the functionality, I would have a hard time understanding why Mazda decided to not provide this feature for the 3 other windows.

By the way, I'm perfectly fine with just the driver window having it. I'm the only one in the car 99.9% of the time.

Back