What did you pay for your CX-9?

New guy here, picked up a 21 Touring AWD w/ Premium and 25k miles for $27 OTD.

MA/NH border.
How many miles?

I have a 2018 CX9 AWD (GT). I've been watching the value drop over the past 9 months. Part of it is age but also CX-90 and interest rates probably playing a role. I bough it out of lease in 2021 and was very much 'in the money'. Still feel good about buying out at lease end.

Reactions: Cur
How many miles?

I have a 2018 CX9 AWD (GT). I've been watching the value drop over the past 9 months. Part of it is age but also CX-90 and interest rates probably playing a role. I bough it out of lease in 2021 and was very much 'in the money'. Still feel good about buying out at lease end.

In the quoted text, 25k miles.

Thirdly, CPO cars come with a full AutoCheck® vehicle history report and 3-year Buyback Protection from Experian.
Interested to know more about this aspect of the CPO warranty. Specifically I'm very close to purchasing a Mazda CPO signature CX-9 with a clean Carfax, however upon inspecting it closely, noticed two body panels have been resprayed and the edge finish when running under the door is very rough. dealer maintains that they know of no body work on this car, and don't want to offer any discount off of their price for it. The finish is different from the adjacent panel - like there's no clear coat over the part that they sprayed it has a rough sandpaper-like finish compared to the OEM panel. What are you guys think?
Screenshot_20231207-180225_Gallery.jpg

Interested to know more about this aspect of the CPO warranty. Specifically I'm very close to purchasing a Mazda CPO signature CX-9 with a clean Carfax, however upon inspecting it closely, noticed two body panels have been resprayed and the edge finish when running under the door is very rough. dealer maintains that they know of no body work on this car, and don't want to offer any discount off of their price for it. The finish is different from the adjacent panel - like there's no clear coat over the part that they sprayed it has a rough sandpaper-like finish compared to the OEM panel. What are you guys think?
View attachment 324328
Dealer lying. Do not buy. Obvious body damage. Can see that horrendous paint job from your pic instantly, I can only imagine what it looks like in person. Carfax sucks and damage can show up months later on report. Likely an auction car purchased cheap by them. Take the vin number and do a google search. You may be able to find it pop up on auction sites like copart or IAAI and sometimes they have pics with the damage show. Run from this car.

Dealer lying. Do not buy. Obvious body damage. Can see that horrendous paint job from your pic instantly, I can only imagine what it looks like in person. Carfax sucks and damage can show up months later on report. Likely an auction car purchased cheap by them. Run.

Yup, walk away.

Don't compromise on what you're looking for instant gratification. It took me over 8 months of daily searching to find my daily driver (not the CX-9 above) and while it sucked, getting the exact car I wanted made it all worth it in the end.

View attachment 324328
I learned through experience that Carfax often will not report "minor" damage. This vehicle obviously had damage followed up by a poor paint job. If you buy, you'll have a tough time selling or be forced to sell at below market price. Especially considering the dealer can't explain the damage, definitely walk away.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm mainly interested in it because the VIN is clear of the two TSBs and it's offered with the CPO warranty. But with the dealer saying they don't know of any prior damage as nothing has been reported on the Carfax, and the price is a high (they wouldn't take anything off for the damage the respray I pointed out). I think I'll reconsider and try to have more patience!

Is blue crystal mica rare for the signature trim? Is there a way to find production statistics for the model year color and trim?

Reactions: Cur
Thanks for the feedback. I'm mainly interested in it because the VIN is clear of the two TSBs and it's offered with the CPO warranty. But with the dealer saying they don't know of any prior damage as nothing has been reported on the Carfax, and the price is a high (they wouldn't take anything off for the damage the respray I pointed out). I think I'll reconsider and try to have more patience!

Is blue crystal mica rare for the signature trim? Is there a way to find production statistics for the model year color and trim?
Don't have the stats but just based on used CX9s for sale on Cars.com and Auto Trader, the blue seems to be a rare color. While it looks good, my criteria for buying used has always been low mileage, verified maintenance, physical condition (no dings, dents, scratches, accidents) one owner, price, warranty.....then color combo. We bought our 2020 in 2021 from a dealer 150 miles away. Spent 3-4months looking for right vehicle. Only had 2100 miles with CPO warranty. Our color preference was gray with parchment but ended up white with chestnut. Have had zero issues with 34k now and happy with the color combo. Be patient looking for right one knowing you usually have to be flexible with at least one of your preferred choices. Here's one on Auto Trader. Keep us posted how you make out.

Last edited:
Hi All!

I just bought a 2019 CX9 GT awd, 33k miles, new tires for $21.5k from a private party. She runs absolutely great! Hope I did good.

Current issues: Windshield wiper wouldn't turn off once it's activated. Contacted dealer and waiting for a part to come in.
Passenger side sideview mirror won't fold all the way in.
Shift knob is peeling a bit.

Otherwise I'm happy!

Don't have the stats but just based on used CX9s for sale on Cars.com and Auto Trader, the blue seems to be a rare color. While it looks good, my criteria for buying used has always been low mileage, verified maintenance, physical condition (no dings, dents, scratches, accidents) one owner, price, warranty.....then color combo. We bought our 2020 in 2021 from a dealer 150 miles away. Spent 3-4months looking for right vehicle. Only had 2100 miles with CPO warranty. Our color preference was gray with parchment but ended up white with chestnut. Have had zero issues with 34k now and happy with the color combo. Be patient looking for right one knowing you usually have to be flexible with at least one of your preferred choices. Here's one on Auto Trader. Keep us posted how you make out.
That's a good approach. What did you end up paying for yours back then?

That's a good approach. What did you end up paying for yours back then?
I paid dealer asking of $42 less trade in. Got a ridiculous trade in value on a 2015 Passat when good used cars commanded high prices so happy with deal. Vehicle was never owned by a private party. Dealer in MD bought it from a dealer in NC so had to be retitled...only had 1700 miles on it. Since I was technically 2nd owner, I got the 7yr/cpo. Now has 34K and zero issues. My first ever Mazda but not my last.

Last edited:
Back