What did you pay for your CX-5?

I paid MSRP for ONE vehicle in my life - the first 2017 Civic Si that arrived in Arkansas. I paid $24,775 and sold it a year later for $22,000 so in retrospect it was relatively inexpensive.

Due to historic demand for new cars and historic shortages of parts causing inventory constraints, lots of folks are paying at or above MSRP...and despite the sad face that dealers are putting on, they're loving the huge profits they're making by not having to deeply discount vehicle or paying inventory taxes and floorplan interest.

My local Mazda, Hyundai, and Nissan dealers seem relatively well-stocked, but the Ford, Honda, and Chevrolet dealers literally look like they're out of business. Don't let that look fool ya, though - they're reeling in money.

My local Mazda, Hyundai, and Nissan dealers seem relatively well-stocked, but the Ford, Honda, and Chevrolet dealers literally look like they're out of business. Don't let that look fool ya, though - they're reeling in money.
For all the talk about new car shortages:

Mazda has had record US sales in every month of 2021 through July going back to 2005.

Toyota has exceeded 2019 pre-pandemic US sales in every month of 2021 except June.

On the other hand, Chevy is running under 2019 sales:
--

As for selling cars at MSRP or above, should it make a difference to you if you get $0 off sticker but $3000 more in trade vs. last year or getting $3000 off sticker and $3000 less in trade? Nope. It does to the dealer, though, as they will still mark up the trade and get the windfall selling new at MSRP.

However, inventories continue to shrink and sales include cars yet to be delivered, so the back half of the year will be interesting to watch. When sales decline, regardless of lack of deals offered, other profit opportunities are lost--financing, extended warranties, accessories, paint treatments, etc.

It would appear, so far, that Mazda and Toyota dealers are making hay while the sun shines, Chevy dealers not so much. How long strong new car sales can persist for Mazda and Toyota dealers remains to be seen--excess profit now can turn to losses later.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for selling cars at MSRP or above, should it make a difference to you if you get $0 off sticker but $3000 more in trade vs. last year or getting $3000 off sticker and $3000 less in trade? Nope. It does to the dealer, though, as they will still mark up the trade and get the windfall selling new at MSRP.
It hurts if you don't have anything to trade in and just need to add a new car.

I am in the market (but I certainly can wait for a few months).
My son is taking one of my Mazdas to college.

One dealer offered me MSRP for a GT-R or Signature. (Where I bought two Mazdas from)
The other said, MSRP+$1k. (no way I am paying that much.)
This is in SF Bay Area.
Guess I will wait for a 2022. (facelift? new model?)

Last time I paid near MSRP was for a 2001 Honda Odyssey.
The demand was so high. I was lucky to find one for MSRP+$500.
One dealer near me ask for MSRP+$1500.
I told him I got a quote for +$500 from another dealer 30 miles away.
He called me a liar.
Crazy time.

One dealer offered me MSRP for a GT-R or Signature. (Where I bought two Mazdas from)
This is in SF Bay Area.

He called me a liar.
Crazy time.

Crazy time indeed. I can't believe dealers are selling non-limited Mazdas for prices at, or higher than, MSRP. 🤯

Hopefully it doesn't last for much longer.

Crazy time indeed. I can't believe dealers are selling non-limited Mazdas for prices at, or higher than, MSRP. 🤯

Hopefully it doesn't last for much longer.
There's a good chance chip shortages will be like the Fed's "transitory" inflation, lasting longer than rosy projections.

It hurts if you don't have anything to trade in and just need to add a new car.
I'm going to disagree. The cost of a car is the same if you have a trade in or not, save for the tax difference. There's no difference if I have a trade for which he's going to give $5,000 or if I just hand him $5,000. It's still the same $5,000 down he's getting from me

I'm going to disagree. The cost of a car is the same if you have a trade in or not, save for the tax difference. There's no difference if I have a trade for which he's going to give $5,000 or if I just hand him $5,000. It's still the same $5,000 down he's getting from me
Having a vehicle to trade, in these times, will help to offset the "market adjustment" car dealers are starting to implement. Usually best to avoid those dealers. but you won't be seeing the great deals people were seeing prior to the last few months. It's also a great idea to shop your trade around online.

Basically, if you had a used vehicle that was valued at $5k in January, it's probably worth at least $7k now. Your $5k in cash is still worth $5k. Strange times...

You should provide more info.
What are you looking for ? 2021 CX-5 Signature, MSRP was $40,445, had $1000 of useless crap like all weather floor mats, illuminated door sills, bumper appliques, etc. I paid $39k for the car and $41k out the door in NC. I did it because it was the only blue one anywhere near me. I did the deal over text and it wasn't tough. I am sure someone better at negotiating could have done better, but in this market that was good enough for me.

What are you looking for ? 2021 CX-5 Signature, MSRP was $40,445, had $1000 of useless crap like all weather floor mats, illuminated door sills, bumper appliques, etc. I paid $39k for the car and $41k out the door in NC. I did it because it was the only blue one anywhere near me. I did the deal over text and it wasn't tough. I am sure someone better at negotiating could have done better, but in this market that was good enough for me.
Looking for the detail spelled out throughout the thread. Things like, was there a trade-in involved? Any dealer added options? Was a warranty purchased? You know, the things that make your deal more comparable.

This is in SF Bay Area.

He called me a liar.
Crazy time.

Hi, I am in the Bay Area too. I am not getting anywhere close to MSRP and am way above that figure despite the lot having over 30 CX-5s on hand.Do you mind sharing details of the dealer you are working with?
C1B44525-9BAA-4BFC-95F7-ECE5A35C79A2.png

Just yesterday I drove past my local Mazda dealer (which is in a multi-brand "automall group"). They had 8 cx5's. Normally they would have 50+ lined up at the road. All of the different brand lots including the used lot in the middle of it all look to only have 30%-50% of what they usually have in stock.

I'm glad I don't need a car right now! Not a buyer's market.

Following up since I am trying to secure a vehicle in the near term. I price shopped with SF (Royal) Mazda and they said they would offer me the GT-R or Sig at MSRP, but the other variants are going to be marked up.

With the GT-R MSRP at $38K and the CE Turbo model at $36K shown below, what would be the right choice? I know that its subjective, and I am really partial to that color combination offered by the CE but I know value wise that the GT-R probably takes its number.

BTW, been to other dealerships (Toyota - Venza) other than Mazda, and the stories are the same. MSRP +++ and inventory is picked up or reserved in a short window of time. Bad time to be a buyer but remote work is ending =(

Hi, I am in the Bay Area too. I am not getting anywhere close to MSRP and am way above that figure despite the lot having over 30 CX-5s on hand.Do you mind sharing details of the dealer you are working with?
View attachment 303276

Back