What did you pay for your CX-5?

I've never heard of any Mazda dealer having a 'Fleet' dept. When I worked for different Chevy/GMC dealers, absolutely. But at least in TX, no Mazda dealer has one.

What trim level and drivetrain was your CX9 trade in?
Fleet Dept/Manager may be an 'old school' term these days. Basically every dealer has someone that sells the cars direct to businesses without anyone visiting the showroom. I believe they are not commissioned based on the sale price but may receive bonuses by making volume targets. These buyers don't have a tight timetable to buy the car necessarily and can wait if the dealer needs to do a factory order or in this case Car Bargains indicates if they have inventory. The dealer has a bottom line price they'll sell the car for. It of course changes with market conditions moreso with some dealers than others as you can see from the differences in price. They just give the buyer that price, no haggling because it's their true lowest price at that time. It's typically really hard to get to these people as an individual retail buyer. I've been able to do it, but it was just too much teeth pulling to finally get through their sales firewall. So I've just paid car buying services $225-$350 to do all the work, save me the time, get past the first level of commissioned showroom salespeople and get me the bottom line no haggle new price.

Here's what the report looks like. All the pricing pages are at the end. One of the two lowest quotes, the person I actually negotiated on the trade with was the owner of the dealership thanks to having this in.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hFQUcXiQIEF-nfW7z2FzIXOscoMNa2oL/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
7.8% off MSRP on a 2021 CX-5 GTR AWD in Greater Seattle Area, WA.

MSRP: $37,555
Invoice: $36,033
Price: $34,633
-----
Doc Fee: $150
Sales Tax: $3,705 (10.7%)
License/Registration: $612
OTD: $39,101

@consultant - THANK YOU SO MUCH! I used the pre-negotiated CarBargains report you posted above and went to the Everett Dealership which was, as you posted, at $1,400 below invoice. No negotiations necessary, they didn't push hard for warranties nor accesorries, and they even got me the 0.9% APR even though I had zero credit history, literally zero, as in I just got my SSN last week.

I'm very happy about this outcome. I've pm'd you, you deserve some money coming your way from me!

I also just ordered the SD Nav card from Amazon, and I've got some OEM accessories from MazdaSwag (Cargo Tray, Retractable Cargo Cover, All Weather Mats, Read Bumper Guard). I'll also follow your advise on the 3M paint protection.

Can you please let me know who you went with on the tint job? Also, do you just plan on not covering the front bumper then?

Last edited:
7.8% off MSRP on a 2021 CX-5 GTR AWD in Greater Seattle Area, WA.

MSRP: $37,555
Invoice: $36,033
Price: $34,633
-----
Doc Fee: $150
Sales Tax: $3,705 (10.7%)
License/Registration: $612
OTD: $39,101

@consultant - THANK YOU SO MUCH! I used the pre-negotiated CarBargains report you posted above and went to the Everett Dealership which was, as you posted, at $1,400 below invoice. No negotiations necessary, they didn't push hard for warranties nor accesorries, and they even got me the 0.9% APR even though I had zero credit history, literally zero, as in I just got my SSN last week.

I'm very happy about this outcome. I've pm'd you, you deserve some money coming your way from me!

I also just ordered the SD Nav card from Amazon, and I've got some OEM accessories from MazdaSwag (Cargo Tray, Retractable Cargo Cover, All Weather Mats, Read Bumper Guard). I'll also follow your advise on the 3M paint protection.

Can you please let me know who you went with on the tint job? Also, do you just plan on not covering the front bumper then?
I'm currently in Seattle and hoping to purchase a Signature CX5 in the next 2-3 weeks via financing. I used the Costco route and Mazda Everett reached out to be with their initial offer of $37,080 on an MRSP of $39,700 (only 6.5% off MRSP). Mazda Lynnwoods initial Costco offer is $37,491 on an MRSP of $39,600 (only 5.3% off MRSP). To be fair I have not countered yet but I probably won't accept more than $40,000 OTD. If need be I may hold off on a CX-5 for a few months or look at difference vehicles.

I just moved here from a state without sales tax so I'm learning logistics. You paid 10.9% sales tax in Everett which naturally to me seems really high. Do I pay the sales tax rate of the city I buy the car or the city where I live within WA state? Aka I'm wondering if I should be more aggressive trying to buy a car in a city like Vancouver WA (sales tax 8.5%) instead of Seattle (10.25%) to save $500+ in taxes. At the end of the day, naturally the time spent traveling somewhere across state might not be worth the few hundred but just asking.

Last edited:
⋯ Do I pay the sales tax rate of the city I buy the car or the city where I live within WA state?
My guess is the sales tax rate on vehicles is based on the city you live within the state. There’s no such issue in Texas as the sales tax on the vehicle is fixed at the state rate without any local taxes added in entire state. But in California it’s based on the place you live, hence there’ll be some minor difference on rate.

My guess is the sales tax rate on vehicles is based on the city you live within the state. There’s no such issue in Texas as the sales tax on the vehicle is fixed at the state rate without any local taxes added in entire state. But in California it’s based on the place you live, hence there’ll be some minor difference on rate.
I live in SF Cali and bought the cx-5 in San Leandro Cali and I was charged SF sales tax. Also if the car is out of state sales tax rate is according to my home address in SF. It should be same for you.

I apologize if this isn't the right place for this question, but I didn't want to start a new post just for this.

Has anyone bought or is thinking of buying with FWD instead of AWD recently?

I'm in the NY/NJ region, and I can't find any dealer that offer any MX5s with FWD; their entire stock is AWD. AWD isn't something I need, so I'd like to get my MZ5 without it to save a bit of cash.

I apologize if this isn't the right place for this question, but I didn't want to start a new post just for this.

Has anyone bought or is thinking of buying with FWD instead of AWD recently?

I'm in the NY/NJ region, and I can't find any dealer that offer any MX5s with FWD; their entire stock is AWD. AWD isn't something I need, so I'd like to get my MZ5 without it to save a bit of cash.
Buy from down south. Tristate doesnt stock them.

Hey everyone. We just bought a 2021 Mazda CX-5 GTR AWD today in the SF Bay Area after several weeks of car shopping and negotiating with dealerships. This includes 4 dealership visits. We almost purchased 3x but walked away due to red flags.

Total MSRP: $37,335
Price paid: $35,000 (-$2335, 6.25% below MSRP)
Document processing charge: $85
Sales tax: $3026.08 (SF)
Electronic Vehicle Registration: $30

Total Cash Price: $38,141
DMV/CA state fees: $514.75
Total OTD: $38,675.83

We had zero luck getting dealerships in the Bay Area to negotiate on price while honoring special rate financing or third-party/cash.

They were all sticking very close to MSRP, some above, and we had several not great experiences. We got a couple dealerships to agree to $38.5K-39.5K OTD if we did standard financing, but otherwise prices seemed firm. Probably could have gotten a model without options for less, but we're happy.

In order to get this price, we had to 1) negotiate an OTD price in advance by email and 2) agree to standard rate financing. However, we made sure to read the fine print and ensure there is no penalty for early repayment. Minimum finance charge is $75. We put a lot down and we're going to either refi or pay it off quickly.

So bottom line, we're happy :) Thrilled with this beautiful car and thrilled to be done with the car hunt.

I'm currently in Seattle and hoping to purchase a Signature CX5 in the next 2-3 weeks via financing. I used the Costco route and Mazda Everett reached out to be with their initial offer of $37,080 on an MRSP of $39,700 (only 6.5% off MRSP). Mazda Lynnwoods initial Costco offer is $37,491 on an MRSP of $39,600 (only 5.3% off MRSP). To be fair I have not countered yet but I probably won't accept more than $40,000 OTD. If need be I may hold off on a CX-5 for a few months or look at difference vehicles.

I just moved here from a state without sales tax so I'm learning logistics. You paid 10.9% sales tax in Everett which naturally to me seems really high. Do I pay the sales tax rate of the city I buy the car or the city where I live within WA state? Aka I'm wondering if I should be more aggressive trying to buy a car in a city like Vancouver WA (sales tax 8.5%) instead of Seattle (10.25%) to save $500+ in taxes. At the end of the day, naturally the time spent traveling somewhere across state might not be worth the few hundred but just asking.
You pay the sales tax rate of where the dealership is at.

I paid 10.7% vehicle sales tax rate in Everett. Seattle is 10.55%. Vancouver WA is 8.8%. It's always 0.3% above retail sales tax rate.

You pay the sales tax rate of where the dealership is at.

I paid 10.7% vehicle sales tax rate in Everett. Seattle is 10.55%. Vancouver WA is 8.8%. It's always 0.3% above retail sales tax rate.
must be a WA thing. in NJ/NY, I bought my car at NY dealer but charged NJ tax based on my home address.

If you buy out-of-state, then that's a whole another story of course.
This appears to be true. I may be in for a surprise at tax time, but I saved ~1% sales tax when I purchased a new Ford Ranger a couple towns over from me back in April.

Some updates, I have three offers for a CX5 signature.

1. MRSP $39,300. Costco price 37,400 (4.8% discount). Plus $400 "theft deterrent fee", $150 doc fee, $507 title and license, $4046 tax. OTD $42,500. The salesman claims that all dealerships have this theft deterrent fee, they just aren't up front about it. Lectured me about the chip shortage and how they can't "give away" cars. Red flags everywhere. Pass for me. This was Dougs Lynwood Mazda.

2. MRSP $39,700. Costco price + discounts $36,760 (7.4% discount). Plus $150 doc fee, $640 in license and title, and $3900 in taxes. The OTD price was $41,480 and they knocked off a little more somewhere in the deal for final OTD $41,000.

3. MRSP $38,680. No costco discounts. I do not have a break down but they said they would do OTD $40,000 which was my first offer and sent me the link to the vehicle.

I'm torn. Although I need a car in the next 2-3 months, I can wait. It's hard for me to justify paying the extra few thousand just because of the current car market. I would consider option 3. What do you think? I haven't seen too many Signatures posted on here within the past few months, although they were mostly in the same ballpark as me minus one person in Georgia who got one for $34800 after discounts.

I'm torn. Although I need a car in the next 2-3 months, I can wait. It's hard for me to justify paying the extra few thousand just because of the current car market. I would consider option 3. What do you think? ...
Seems like a no-brainer, wait. By then, they should start seeing 2022's coming in.

I still don't get this whole chip shortage causing low dealer inventory thing. If inventory is so low, how are all manufactures selling at record levels?

Seems like a no-brainer, wait. By then, they should start seeing 2022's coming in.

I still don't get this whole chip shortage causing low dealer inventory thing. If inventory is so low, how are all manufactures selling at record levels?

Simple: People are buying more cars. They're still producing lots of vehicles even with the chip shortage, but not enough to meet demand which is why we're seeing empty lots of high prices. Car dealers are swimming in money because they don't have to discount as much or pay inventory tax. There's talk in the industry of a shift towards build-to-order instead of having hundreds of cars sit around on lots for months at a time exposed to the elements, getting flat-spotted tires, dead batteries, and having to pay inventory tax and labor to maintain those vehicles while they sit.

Bought a 2021 CX-5 Carbon Turbo FWD recently for $35,559.41. Listed price was 32,835 (30,760 + 1,175 destination + 800 in dealer installed accessories) plus tax, title and Mazda loyalty brought the final damage out to a 35.6K. I'm sure any other time I could have negotiated a better deal but inventory is currently tight and markups are rampant so I splurged. It's sitting in the garage for another week until I get it fully wrapped but I like it so far.

Not that I can do anything about it now but I keep wondering if I should have gotten AWD (Carbon Turbo AWD's were all out so I would have had to go to a GT-R or Signature which would have been thousands more). I didn't really push it on my test drive but I don't plan on driving this hard anyway (I have an ND Miata for that). I live in the Bay Area and I have no plans to go to Tahoe or Yosemite in the winter so I think FWD should be more than fine, considering I grew up in the midwest and learned to drive in a 4 speed Chevette.

It's sitting in the garage for another week until I get it fully wrapped but I like it so far.
Good, mature, self control move. You'd kick yourself if it got that first chip before you got it wrapped. I made my appointment, drove it home, did an IronX treatment, then straight to the PPF guy.

Back