What did you pay for your CX-5?

Hi everyone! New proud owner of a Mazda CX-5 here! Hope I got a good deal!

2014 CX-5 FWD Grand Touring (w/ Tech Package)
Vehicle: $27,521.48
Doc Fees: $109
Sales Tax: $2,484.13
DMV Fees: $287.75

Total: $30,402.36

Did I get a good deal??

No trade-in's, and this was a cash purchase.
Went to Tustin Mazda. I originally went to Tuttle Click in Irvine but their fleet manager promised me a deal then conveniently decided to change his mind since they didn't have the car I asked for, EVEN THOUGH I told him exactly what I wanted in my emails. They also kept pushing me to buy one with add-ons I did not want (since they had it in their stock). They were going to check nationwide inventory and try to do dealer trades if possible but they never followed up with me like they said they would (few days went by). Needless to say I did not like their attitudes and customer service. The fleet manager even had the nerve to say, "good luck finding that same deal some place else." when I just told him I was just going to check other places since they were taking so long.
So yeah...I am glad I did NOT give them the business because they definitely didn't deserve it and also because it's not like they had to do any work to get my sale. I was ready to buy from the start.

Thanks krillin. I will definitely check them out when I start seriously looking in a month or so. Looking to get a GT.FWD w/ tech pkg. You got one of the best.deals and will be happy if I can come close. Did they tell you how long you would have to wait? We had to wait 7 weeks when we ordered. our daughter's Impreza last year.

Hi everyone! New proud owner of a Mazda CX-5 here! Hope I got a good deal!

2014 CX-5 FWD Grand Touring (w/ Tech Package)
Vehicle: $27,521.48
Doc Fees: $109
Sales Tax: $2,484.13
DMV Fees: $287.75
Total: $30,402.36

Did I get a good deal??

That is iNSANE. You stole it for about $1500 below invoice. How is this possible? krillin and I are wondering if you had a trading or loyalty discount. Do you mind sharing how you did it and what dealer you went to?

That is iNSANE. You stole it for about $1500 below invoice. How is this possible? krillin and I are wondering if you had a trading or loyalty discount. Do you mind sharing how you did it and what dealer you went to?

Yeah, that price is so low it's almost hard to believe. Maybe they told him it was a 14, but it's actually a 13 (sssh)

Haha phew I'm glad to hear I got a good deal :-D

1. Went in the afternoon of the last day of the month (2/28).
2. Emailed the internet sales department one-day prior, asking for the best quote possible.
3. Brought my hard-bargaining Chinese parents (but honestly all they did was getting rid of the change in the monthly payment...)

@seminoles - You totally scared me. Just verified my VIN, it's a 2014. haha

Last edited:
Thanks krillin. I will definitely check them out when I start seriously looking in a month or so. Looking to get a GT.FWD w/ tech pkg. You got one of the best.deals and will be happy if I can come close. Did they tell you how long you would have to wait? We had to wait 7 weeks when we ordered. our daughter's Impreza last year.

One week for my sister's. Two weeks for both my mom's car and gf's.

Haha phew I'm glad to hear I got a good deal :-D

1. Went in the afternoon of the last day of the month (2/28).
2. Emailed the internet sales department one-day prior, asking for the best quote possible.
3. Brought my hard-bargaining Chinese parents (but honestly all they did was getting rid of the change in the monthly payment...)

@seminoles - You totally scared me. Just verified my VIN, it's a 2014. haha

Yeah, user13398, you did VERY well. I heard that the end of the month, end of a quarter, end of the year are good times to strike a deal but you really hit paydirt. It sounds like you had a very simple and easy process via the internet. I'll follow your process at the end of this month and see what I come up with. What dealer in LA did you end up buying from?

Yeah, user13398, you did VERY well. I heard that the end of the month, end of a quarter, end of the year are good times to strike a deal but you really hit paydirt. It sounds like you had a very simple and easy process via the internet. I'll follow your process at the end of this month and see what I come up with. What dealer in LA did you end up buying from?

I bought from Mazda Puente Hills, and the internet salesperson is Joshua Teets. I can PM you his email if you need it.

mazda 2014 GT AWD/Tech

Tech package only. MSRP was 30615. My price was 200 over dealer cost.

I got email from my local mazda dealership $30604-$500 mazda incentive which brings it down to $30104 before tax 6% $399 fee and would$175 reg fee and interest rate of 1.9% for 60ms,, dont know if this is good offer for CX5 AWD GT/Tech package, parking sensor, roof rail, bumper guard, wheel lock....what u guys say...should I pull the trigger?

Last edited:
I got email from my local mazda dealership $30604-$500 mazda incentive which brings it down to $30104 before tax 6% $399 fee and would$175 reg fee and interest rate of 1.9% for 60ms,, dont know if this is good offer for CX5 AWD GT/Tech package, parking sensor, roof rail, bumper guard, wheel lock....what u guys say...should I pull the trigger?
On Mazda's site, there's still 0.9% financing available, so definitely go for the 0.9, pretty much free $$ or same % if it was sitting in a savings account.

I bought from Mazda Puente Hills, and the internet salesperson is Joshua Teets. I can PM you his email if you need it.

Thanks, user13398. Although it is out of my way(65 miles away), I will call him at the the end of the month. I bought a 10th anniversary Miata from them 15 years ago so it is nice to know they are still giving fabulous deals. I am getting the Meteor Gray GT w/ tech pkg plus a few items like roof rails, door sill plates, cargo tray and body side moldings. I am motivated to sell my cry now so I can get the CX-5. Thanks again for your help and enjoy your new ride.

Hello all,
I am new here but long timer lurker. I decided to register because user13398 response.

For sure You did pretty good! My hat is off to you. I have mix feelings about Puente Hills Mazda. I also was dealing with Joshua. He seemed a good guy I am sure he is, but I believe the deal went sour because of their bosses. I got an online quote from Browning everything spelled out. I was looking for a 2014 touring fwd with roof rack. Browning gave me $300 under invoice.
I asked Joshua to issue a quote. They had another identical vehicle (same color and options) in their lot. I mentioned that I have a quote from Browning. Josh said that they will beat their quote by $100 (I did not tell him by how much Browning quote was until I forward Josh the email)

He came back with $300 OVER the invoice and asked me to commit it for presidents day weekend. GUESS WHAT! The CX5 he was quoting is the same VIN as the vehicle that Browning had. Pretty much they wanted to sell me the vehicle that Browning was offering me (dealer vehicle swap). At the end I asked him why I should go to Puente hills for the same vehicle that Browning is quoting me that they had in their lot with a $600 price difference. I did not hear from him until the beginning of last week asking me if I got the CX5 from Browning. I said no and I got it from another dealer and I left it that way.

Just for your info. I did not get the CX5 from Browning even though $300 under seemed reasonable. They originally quoted me a white CX5 that was a returned because the finance fell off (no window sticker and 200 miles in odo) so basically wanted me to buy a used vehicle as new. I think this is illegal. I found that when I went there. So I left because the internet guy was busy with other customers. I told me to find another vehicle and send me an updated quote. He did later that night with the same price as the white one but this time was silver but it was in their off site storage lot. I was thinking in returning the following weekend (presidents day weekend). Because of this, it raised a red flag on my book and if I decided to go there again I might get played again. That is why I decided to contact Puente Hills and one dealer way further away for back up.

At the end, neither Browning and Puente Hills got my business. I got my CX5 from the dealer that was the farthest away from me. I got my CX5 for $24500 plus Tax and Title. On top of that I got $500 more off because of my Mazda loyalty incentive.

Last edited:
@cerv dang I guess I got lucky. I wonder if it was just the timing since my dad totaled my car on the 25th, started looking on the 26th, emailed around on the 27th, and went in to PH Mazda on the 28th. Maybe they were motivated coz it was month end, maybe also because I was up front that I needed a car within 2 days and that I was very specific with what I was looking for.

I also think it's easier to get them negotiating on a Grand Touring vs a Touring, since they are just so dang popular right now.

I also emailed Browning, but their response was slow and generic. I also get the sense that they're bs-ing me to get me in physically. I have no proof of it, it's just a feeling.

I enjoyed dealing with Joshua, but the fact that he's a young veteran may have influenced my thinking.

On Mazda's site, there's still 0.9% financing available, so definitely go for the 0.9, pretty much free $$ or same % if it was sitting in a savings account.

That's for up to 36 months I believe. 1.9% is as good as it gets right now for 60 months.

This does sound like a good deal as I'm being quoted $28919 base price for that without tech. I'm talking to a few dealers in New Jersey close to EWR airport. Though they may no mention of an etch fee, and lowered doc to 300. Which dealer did you go through?

It is Wayne Mazda which claimed itself as the biggest Mazda dealer in US. Maybe is the timing. I went there on the last day of Feburary. No loyalty reward, no trade in, so I did not push too hard on those fees. Figured a win-win situation and the good relationship might help future service.

Interesting input, cerv. Sorry you were jerked around so much. Moral to me is, as always, buyer beware. The internet is a great/easy way to get quotes to facilitate the purchase process. I have never purchased a car like this. Normally, I would just go thru Costco and be happy to get an "in demand" car for invoice but krillin, user13398, and you give me hope that I can do better, much better! Just by expending alittle more effort, l can save hundreds more! I will lay out my specs for an email quote from Browning, Puente Hills, and Tustin Mazda dealerships and see what I get. Can I add your dealer to the mix?(cheers2)

@cerv dang I guess I got lucky. I wonder if it was just the timing since my dad totaled my car on the 25th, started looking on the 26th, emailed around on the 27th, and went in to PH Mazda on the 28th. Maybe they were motivated coz it was month end, maybe also because I was up front that I needed a car within 2 days and that I was very specific with what I was looking for.

I also think it's easier to get them negotiating on a Grand Touring vs a Touring, since they are just so dang popular right now.

I also emailed Browning, but their response was slow and generic. I also get the sense that they're bs-ing me to get me in physically. I have no proof of it, it's just a feeling.

I enjoyed dealing with Joshua, but the fact that he's a young veteran may have influenced my thinking.

I really believe that Joshua wanted to deal with me but as you all know that even an "internet manager" is not really a manager in most cases. I think he had to report to the sales manager (the manager). Definitely the end of the month had to do with your success. I also found out if I email them directly I get no answer. So what I did is to look at the Mazda for their inventory to narrow what I wanted plus it gives me the VIN; then I looked at the dealers sites to see if the vehicle is there. Once you hit for an online quote everyone responded right away. Most of them with "come on over and I will make you a deal" for those I just ignored it or asked them " what is the $@# purpose of the internet quote".

Interesting input, cerv. Sorry you were jerked around so much. Moral to me is, as always, buyer beware. The internet is a great/easy way to get quotes to facilitate the purchase process. I have never purchased a car like this. Normally, I would just go thru Costco and be happy to get an "in demand" car for invoice but krillin, user13398, and you give me hope that I can do better, much better! Just by expending alittle more effort, l can save hundreds more! I will lay out my specs for an email quote from Browning, Puente Hills, and Tustin Mazda dealerships and see what I get. Can I add your dealer to the mix?(cheers2)

Calcat. I have purchased 3 mazdas before through the internet. An 04 RX8, my current 06 mazda 3 and the other Mazda 3 for my brother in law. Back them it was give me your best price possible and negotiate. Usually we go back and forward about two or three times. Once agreed the price of the car I ask to verify the OTD price (Edmund's calculator is a good estimate withing $30 or so difference) then I either accept or asked them to further itemized the cost to keep them honest.
Now is "come on over and I make u a deal" or vague quote i.e. cost +t&tl or with " discounts that you don't qualify. Costco is good if you don't want to negotiate. I would say...$200 or $300 over invoice.
As far as Tustin Mazda. I should say that they are good but I had the feeling that Jim F. was pushing me to go there and negotiate despite that I asked him to send me a quote because I do not wanted to drive there and negotiate (remember its and internet quote and you negotiate through email) He never did and always wanted to talk on the phone (he email me to call him because he had a deal) I email back asking them "what is your deal?" At the end he offered me invoice in email but was too late to him because I don't play that game.

A lot has changed since last time. I have learned the following: Don't answer your answer your phone. Everything has to be documented and detailed. Don't let your emotions get an hold of you. They will use it against you. If you don't get straight answer, move on to the next dealer. You have to have the mentality of "there are other cars and other dealers"

I hope this helps

cerv, thanks for sharing your lessons learned on internet car purchasing with a novice. Just by knowing what to expect will save me some agony and frustration. I am just happy to know that people like you, krillin, and user13398(jackpot) are getting hundreds off invoice now in my area.. It gives me an attainable target price to shoot for and I will not be bashful to ask. I am really tempted to try your approach out but I have to finish doing my tax return and sell my 07 CRV first. Hopefully I can get this done before the end of the month. Best case for me would be to have the same, simple, easy bing-bang-bong experience and outcome user13398 had. And I will be shopping/buying at the end of the month. Thanks for taking the time to share (it is very helpful info) and I hope that you are enjoying your new ride.

calcat,
you have a pm
yes, you really have to have that mind set. With the dealer I got my CX5 after all said and done, he asked if I want to put a deposit. I said no, I just wanted to come in, sign the papework and go home happy. If he had to sell the car, so be it. There are other cars around and can negotiate again. I agreed the price on Wednesday and I picked the car on Friday. so, he could sell it to someone else and it was ok for me. The hardest part is to find someone who can shoot straight with reasonable price.

Last edited:
Back