What did you pay for your 08 CX-9

Price is decent, but your lease payment still comes out to $600 month (if you include tax, and if you divide the initial $1400 by 36 and add to each payment). That's $7200 out of pocket each and every year, without getting any equity in the vehicle; at the end of 3 years you walk away with nothing. I think you'd be surprised at the amount you'd have to pay for the same deal by just buying the car outright; you could probably pay that same $7000/year, and at the end of the deal you still have something worth 15k - 20k that you truly own. The other advantage of buying is that if you can pay it off early, you don't have to pay any (zero) of the interest that would have accrued if you keep paying the same amount until the end of the deal.

There are certainly screaming lease deals out there, but this doesn't seem to be one of them. $600/month for a mid-level SUV seems pretty pricey to me, and it gets there due to a reasonably low residual. And the costs go up from there if your driving situation changes and you do hit more than 12k miles per year. YMMV.

What you say is definitely true,although to get the same payment would require $10,000 down @5.9% for 4 years

It should be worth at least 15k at that point. Take away the $10,000 down and your at 5k on your side. Now if you keep it for any extended time after the 4 years you save $600 a month and that's found money.(dance)

The point is moot for me as this is a business lease which has it's own benefits.

Now my non business car is an 05' Acura TL we purchased in '06 and are making the payments.
I always try to buy a year to two year old certified car as I think they are better deals.

Picked it up tonight and it's great. The black mica has looked like 3 different colors at times depending on the light.

Last edited:
congrats on your new CX-9. I leased a mica black 08 CX-9 too and got it $20.00 over dealer invoice.

There are pros and cons with lease vs. buying - some are for and some are against.

The best price I got and already inked on a purchase order is 500 below invoice. I then found out what employees pay for it. compared to the price I got employee get it 1400 below invoice, so if you know someone working for mazda tell them to hook you up.

Wow, this SUV rocks and your deal rocks too!!! (2thumbs)
MSRP: $39,510
Invoice: $36,300
Purchase: $36,900
$600 over invoice, however, it includes $805 worth of extras:
-- Blind Spot System ($175)
-- Remote Start ($280)
-- Roof Rack ($200)
-- All Weather Mats ($100)
-- Splash Guards ($50)
With 1.9% financing thrown into the mix, this is one heck of a deal!

Congratulations!!

Hi,

Picking up an 08' gt fwd today and the dealership is telling me that the 36mo residual is 53% and money factor is .00117(2.8%)

Can anybody confirm this?

I've looked everywhere online and can only find rates for 07'

Thanks

0.00117 Money Factor is exactly right.
53% is on the low side unless of course this is with 15k or more miles/year. You should aim for 55% @ 12k miles/year.

0.00117 Money Factor is exactly right.
53% is on the low side unless of course this is with 15k or more miles/year. You should aim for 55% @ 12k miles/year.

I paid invoice (at least that's what they told me):

2008 GRAND TOURING
SIRIUS Satellite Radio with 6-Month Subscription
RSES with Bose Audio Package
Grand Touring Assistance Package
Cargo Mat
Splash Guard Frt / Rear
Compass, Homelink, Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Rain Sensor Cover

$37244.00 + ($2890.67 Tax) $40,189.67

I did the 5.9% for 60mo and gave them 11k as a down.

Looks like invoice for '08 with those options is:

FWD: $36,514
AWD: $37,713

So if you got FWD you paid about $700 above invoice, which in my mind is a good deal on a new '08! I'm trying to find a similar deal in the FL market but no luck so far, will post my findings though.

600 below invoice

Looks like invoice for '08 with those options is:

FWD: $36,514
AWD: $37,713

So if you got FWD you paid about $700 above invoice, which in my mind is a good deal on a new '08! I'm trying to find a similar deal in the FL market but no luck so far, will post my findings though.

This was my invoice and MSRP, the dealer came be a hard copy of the invoice.
INVOICE MSRP EPLAN
Total Before Applicable Discounts $ 35,648.00 $ 38,825.00 $34222.00
Total Invoice Amount $ 35,648.00 $ 38,825.00

My final price was 600 below invoice with all of the option I picked.

Its been a week so far and my cx9 runs great....

my dad's 08 GT FWD with nav, moonroof/bose, assistance package was $36,6xx. according to the dealership it was 750 over invoice. my dad offered them 500 over invoice, they wanted 1000, so he walked. they called back the next day to split the difference.

1.9% over 36 mo finance.

Last edited:
$100 over

I just bought an '08 GT AWD with RSES. None of the SF south bay area dealers started at MSRP and worked down - they immediately started at invoice +$200. I guess the competition is fierce! I paid $100 over invoice. There were no trumped up fees, either - $55 doc fee, $9 tire fee, plus tax, title, and registration, which goes to CA. It was quite a painless experience.

According to one large dealer, allocation of CX-9's are tight - they only get 6 per month. I originally wanted the Stormy Blue Mica/Sand with RSES, and no NAV, but there were none to be found. I was about to order one (10 week wait), when I saw a Black Cherry Mica, and thought it looked even better! I found one of these and bought it.

-steve

I purchased an 08 GT AWD Pearl white CX-9 with the following options:

Base GT AWD $34,655 $32,041
Grand Touring Assistance Package $2,500 $2,150
Rear Seat Entertainment System/Bose Audio Package $2,560 $2,202
Wheel Locks $50 $40
Crystal White Pearl Mica Paint $200 $172
All-Weather Floor Mats $125 $100
Towing Package $525 $452

Price before TTL: $36,600 (eek2)

Haven't committed to buying anything yet but I have a dealer searching for a Stormy Blue GT with the options we want. Without even negotiating anything he quoted me invoice + $950 on a 36 month/15K lease deal. When we find the right car it seems like I should be able to get close to invoice ... any tips on how to get below?

Possible to get dealer installed options thrown in for free/cheap? (roof rails, wheel locks, etc.) Or should I just quote some < invoice pricing from folks on this site to pressure him down. In the end it seems like a fair deal so I'm not too worried but let's face it, money is money!

People get hung up on invoice pricing, but if you are leasing the vehicle, that isn't the most important piece of information. They could sell it to you for $2000 below invoice, and put the residual significantly lower, keep the interest rate reasonable high, and your payments could be higher than someone who had a sales price of $2000 over invoice. If you're planning on leasing, the only number that you care about negotiating is your total monthly payment, including all fees/taxes/etc. (and making sure that any penalties for mileage are unlikely to occur with your driving habits). I wish some of the folks who are so excited about their invoice pricing would actually post what they write their monthly check for; people may be surprised.

IMHO, leasing the CX-9 isn't a great bet right now, the residuals are way too low to make it a good deal. You can lease a loaded BMW 335i or a midrange 530i for the lease prices I've seen on the CX-9.

"IMHO, leasing the CX-9 isn't a great bet right now, the residuals are way too low to make it a good deal. You can lease a loaded BMW 335i or a midrange 530i for the lease prices I've seen on the CX-9"

Will never happen in LA area. You are talking about a car that costs 10k more than a loaded CX-9.

okay let's take 335I - $549 per month for 36 months with 10k and $3600.00 down. Excludes tax, title, license, and registration fees. Monthly payment subjected to taxes. Further At lease end, lessee will be liable for disposition fee ($350.00). If you calculate this the residual value is about 56-58 percent after three years... This is not for a loaded model but a base 335I.

Mazda can easily do the same or compete with that....

Last edited:
Are we looking at the same thing? For that 335i deal, residual is 60.57% at the end of 36 months. The 528i deal residual is 63% at the end of 36 months. The 535i deal is 63% at the end of 36 months. The X5 3.0 is at 61%. The CX-9 goes down to 61% after only 2 years, and those BMW's are still at 61% or even higher after 3 years. Looked at that way, Mazdas hold their value 33% worse than a BMW. (2 years / 3 years) All of the BMW's listed above will be within $20 - $30 month of a GT AWD CX-9's lease cost, and yes, they are $5k - $10k more expensive. Which is exactly the point.

Leasing is a good deal if you're leasing cars that keep their value more so than the average car (BMW, Porsche, Ferrari), and is a terrible deal for those cars that don't hold their value well (Audi, Jaguar, Hyundai, Saab, Subaru). For those makes in the middle (like Mazda and most of the other Japanese nameplates), it's rarely a great deal unless there is some special factory incentive, like the $349/mo that Mazda is offering on the CX-9 FWD Sport. The only legitimate caveat is business use leases where a good chunk can be written off easier than via a car purchase. Otherwise, you're enriching the leasing company at the expense of your long-term wealth appreciation.

That's not always true. There are plenty of examples of vehicles that have high resale and still offer poor lease deals and vice versa. The trick is finding a vehicle w/ heavily subsidized lease offers. After looking at both the CX-9 and the Enclave, I think it's a comparative steal if you plan on leasing.

For example, you can get a FWD Sport CX-9 for $349/Month (24-Month Lease @ 12k miles per year, $3,444 due at Lease Signing after $750 MAC lease cash back. Includes 1st Month's Payment and Acquisition Fee)http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayRegionalIncentives.action
FWIW, my dealer said he could get me into a loaded Grand Touring AWD for $50-60 more per month. For comparison, a FWD Buick Enclave CX with similar terms leases for $650 per month!!! http://www.buick.com/divisional/gmactools.jsp?pageSection=1&brand=divisional Keep in mind, both of these vehicles have very similar predicted resale values. Now tell me the CX-9 isn't a bargain.

Last edited:
I put that $349 for the FWD Sport CX-9 into my post already; it is an example of a special offer that may be worth looking at. But even that $349 works out to $478/per month, before taxes, if you take that money due at lease signing and split it across 24 payments. With taxes that is $520/month or so, and at the end of 2 years you can just drop your keys in the box and walk away. It's may be a reasonable deal. So then when folks talk about lease deals that start at $500/month, approach $600/month if you count the down, and approach $650 or more with taxes, and I wonder if these folks forgot their calculators when they signed the paperwork.

I am also skeptical you will get into a GT AWD for $50 more per month, without the other parameters of the contract changing (higher down, less miles, whatever).

And you're exactly right, the mid-level Enclave at $650/month lease is a perfect example of what not to do.

Last edited:
Back