What car did you trade in for your CX-5?

Traded our Honda Accord for the CX-5.
My wife was the initial primary driver on it, for short in-town drives. Few years later, I became the primary driver. I grew to like the car very much. It was very reliable. I liked its Hondamatic 5AT transmission. It had a feel of a manual and almost always seemed to pick an optimal gear for the current conditions.

The Accord was getting older and I wanted a car with AWD, for our ski trips. At first, I thought about getting a Subaru. The Outback was too big and felt heavy and slow. The Impreza looked promising at first but was too small, especially for cargo. Then, I learned about multiple issues it had in its first year and about its oil consumption issue with its new engine it now shares with other Subaru models (The new FB, not the EJ engine, which Subaru used for over 20 years). Subaru were slow to update their Forester, which for the longest time had a 4AT and below average gas millage. I no longer cared for the new Forester because of its oil consumption issue.
I could not make myself get an ugly CR-V and the Escape seemed way to expensive, if I wanted it with AWD and not that exciting. The RAV4 seemed like a good compromise, but...
Luckily, Mazda came out with their SkyActiv platform and the CX-5 which seemed like the perfect offer. For a guy like me, used to driving cars, the CX-5 almost feels like driving a car. I am pretty happy with the 27.5~28 MPG average I am getting, despite having AWD and a taller vehicle. I can't wait to take it on its first ski trip!

Last edited:
For me - traded in my 2009 RX-8 R3 that had only 16,800 miles on it. I decided I needed a vehicle that enabled my lifestyle versus a garage queen. I'll miss it, but then I missed the Miata I traded for the RX-8. No more track days, but at least I stayed with Mazda and still have some zoom-zoom.

I've traded in my 2008 Hummer H2 SUT Luxury for the Mazda 2014 Grand Touring Blue Reflex Mica.

DSC00585.jpg

Traded in my '08 Mazda3 touring...I get very attached to my cars - It wasn't an easy decision. However I love my cx5. Could not drive anything other than a Mazda.
Traded because I needed an SUV AWD...and something a bit newer.

^^^^ Will hoon 92 viper for food! I <3 donuts

I sold her 2004 Murano. Looked at getting a Tahoe & RX300. Shoulded her how optioned out they were and how thats for suckers. Sunroof, never used it. Heated seats used twice. AWD, sucker! On & on. Ive tracked many a mazda and love the cars. CX5 GT was wildcard. She loved it. Told her if she gets touring pack instead I will take her to Japan with money saved. So we are learning Japanese stuff now.

2013 CX5 GT for the 2016 CX5 GT. Trade was 22500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like the 2.5l versus the 2.0l? Does it dramatically change the car?

This is an old thread bump. Hadn't seen it since I joined.

Wife traded in her 07 GTI

Last pic of it at the dealer
1507.jpg

Last edited:
2011 Lexus CT200h premium w/o nav with 50k miles. i miss the 40mpg combined mileage....i do NOT miss the 110hp slothfulness.

2000 Nissan Maxima loaded with 120,000 miles. Great car but had it for 15 yrs and it was starting to show it's age. Required premium fuel, mileage was not great and repairs were starting to become a hassle.

Going back from my 2015 CX-5 Touring > 2013 CX-5 Touring > 2010 Honda Accord LX-P > 2009 Honda Accord LX-P, 2002 Golf TDI, 1988 Nova Twin Cam.

When someone figures out how to bolt a GTX 2871 to the motor 380 HP will be easy! The exhaust manifold on our cars are, um,,, different,,, to say the least!

If I wanted HP out of my new CUV I'd of gotten the Forrester. The 184 we have with the 2.5 is just adequate. I think my Chrysler minivan would beat this car!

I purchased this car after reading all the excellent reviews online and because of the ground clearance. I like going down (and up) dirt roads in the back country.

First mod will probably be much better tires for snow/trail driving.

Agreed, but don't tell MikeM that it's "adequate only", lol!

That said, I thought the Mazda HPFP was not shared in any other platform aside from another Mazda? Are there known HPFP issues with these drivelines!?

Back