What brand air filter do you recommend or avoid?

mclark999

:
2013 CX-5 Sport AWD Automatic
I know I'm going to stir up all kinds of sh*# with this post, but I love to get advice.

K&N finally got around to stocking an oil based air filter for the CX-5. Can't say they got around to making one, because it's the same one they've had for the 2.0l Mazda 3 for quite some time.

From other posts here and other sites, I'm not convinced that this type of filter is the best for getting more power (and reliability) out of my car. Having said that, I see at least five different brands of air filters available, plus the OEM.

Which of the following brands would you either recommend or avoid?

In order of price:

Pronto $5.92
Auto Extra $6.15
Fram $7.34
Beck/Arnley $8.26
Mahle $10.47
Wix $12.77
Mazda OEM $22
K&N $55 - reusable

I would go with the Fram or more expensive. I would not use a K&N. Limited advantage, potential for damage to MAF (I assume this car has one), extra things to deal with (oil & cleaner) extra steps to deal with it. On Saturday afternoon, you decide to clean you nice K&N filter. You wash it and have to let it air dry before oiling it. Ooopppsss....that takes several hours.

Its not a big deal. If you change it twice as frequently as recommended, every 15,000 miles, you would spend $132 for the Mazda, and $44 for the Fram. Even the Mazda is only $0.0015 per mile. Or a savings of $0.001 per mile. Use whatever you like.

With the K&N drop in filters you either lose HP or gain very little HP at near redline RPMs. You need to wash them (when dirty) and then respray with oil which you have to be cautious with. I've had good experience with Mahle air and oil filters as they are OE replacement parts for my old Bimmer. I recently checked the OEM CX-5 air filter. To my surprise it was rather heavy (good way) and the construction was better than I expected.

Back