What are your favorite aspects of your CX-5?

The 2023 CX-5 is still affordable. In Canada a base GS with std AWD is $33,360. By comparison a base CRV with AWD is $39,655 (OK equipment is not the same but still with steel wheels and wheel covers!) while a base HRV with AWD is $33,095. Bottom line, for the price of the HRV one can get a CX-5:unsure::unsure::unsure:. This is a no brainer for me.
As previously mentioned, RAV4, CRV and also Forester have steel wheels with plastic wheel covers on base trim. I didn't bother to check other competitors, suffice to say Mazda has put nice wheels even on base CX-5;)

Base model CX-5 USA $26,700
Base model CR-V USA $31,110
Base model HR-V USA $23,800
Base model CX-9 USA $38,750
Base Model Pilot USA $38,080
I would think the CX-9 would be a competitor to the:
Base Model Passport $41,100

Let's also mention AWD is standard on the base model CX-5. Extra $1,500 on the CR-V. Could be why the popularity has skyrocketed in snowy cold Ohio.
I don't understand how Honda outsells Mazda anymore. :D
Honda has their fans but I think they are playing a dangerous game. Not to bash Honda any more than necessary but base 2023 Pilot is $52,600 in Canada ($50,650 + $1950 freight), yikes! I've never had a Honda (my wife had a 2008 Civic coupe after her old not sure what year MX-6) and at this rate I don't think I'll ever will!

Honda has their fans but I think they are playing a dangerous game. Not to bash Honda any more than necessary but base 2023 Pilot is $52,600 in Canada ($50,650 + $1950 freight), yikes! I've never had a Honda (my wife had a 2008 Civic coupe after her old not sure what year MX-6) and at this rate I don't think I'll ever will!

Agreed. For comparison, year over year Toyota raised the price of the RAV4 by $600 and Mazda raised the CX-5's price by $450, and here's Honda with a $4,300 price hike (US prices). Honda seems way out of line here. These are supposed to be mainstream vehicles but Honda is pricing them closer to luxury vehicles. Will be interesting to see how sales are affected (I would expect them to bring back the base trim next year or even mid-year if sales suffer), if they have to partially walk back these price hikes or roll out some crazy incentives. I am sure other manufacturers will be watching even more closely than usual.

Wow, a mod edited your post just for asking a perfectly good question? I would have just quoted your post and left a reference to the FAQ. Seems like they've had to deal with a lot of those kinds of questions..
yeah, it's actually in the rules that you can't post/ask about that.

Wonder if this forum is subsidized by Mazda?

I'm not aware if it is. Maybe @Antoine can answer that?

Seems strange to not be able to ask about a related problem on an online forum. But maybe it's because they have a whole FAQ or subforum just for that issue? I have no idea.

I’m way too lazy and have no real desire to go back on that forum, but I believe they said something to the extent that Honda had come up with a solution for the oil dilution problem and there was going to be no more debate about it. The forum was actually okay overall other than that, from what I remember at least.

I’m way too lazy and have no real desire to go back on that forum, but I believe they said something to the extent that Honda had come up with a solution for the oil dilution problem and there was going to be no more debate about it. The forum was actually okay overall other than that, from what I remember at least.
AFAIK Honda has reprogrammed the ECM to allow the engine to run hotter at the detriment of cabin heat...This little engine is so efficient it can't produce enough heat. Here in the province of Quebec (winter is similar to Minneapolis) many owners are not satisfied with this solution. At the price they now sell the CRV they should put in their 2.0L turbo since it's no longer available in the new Accord but they probably want to keep it exclusively for the RDX.

AFAIK Honda has reprogrammed the ECM to allow the engine to run hotter at the detriment of cabin heat...This little engine is so efficient it can't produce enough heat. Here in the province of Quebec (winter is similar to Minneapolis) many owners are not satisfied with this solution. At the price they now sell the CRV they should put in their 2.0L turbo since it's no longer available in the new Accord but they probably want to keep it exclusively for the RDX.
wait, they make the engine run hotter (as in not have the fans kick on as much?) to provide more heat in the cabin or to mitigate oil dillution? don't count on them putting the 2 litre turbo in the cr-v; that engine is like the holy grail in their eyes... :rolleyes:

wait, they make the engine run hotter (as in not have the fans kick on as much?) to provide more heat in the cabin or to mitigate oil dillution? don't count on them putting the 2 litre turbo in the cr-v; that engine is like the holy grail in their eyes... :rolleyes:
I don't have all the answers but from what I've heard, I think they restrict coolant flow to the heater core until the engine reaches a certain temperature. I think it's the set point of the thermostat that was raised and that could be variable depending on outdoor temperature. It helps for some owners but not all and still not enough heat in the cabin in cold climate. Can we go back to topic before the mods intervene ;););)

I don't have all the answers but from what I've heard, I think they restrict coolant flow to the heater core until the engine reaches a certain temperature. I think it's the set point of the thermostat that was raised and that could be variable depending on outdoor temperature. It helps for some owners but not all and still not enough heat in the cabin in cold climate. Can we go back to topic before the mods intervene ;););)
That's on topic. You like the CX-5 because it is not a CR-V. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's on topic. You like the CX-5 because it is not a CR-V. ;)
Thanks for your comment! I particularly like the cargo area on my CX-5 as it looks very upscale compared to most competitors; the sides are carpeted, the 40/20/40 seat back is practical and the remote levers to fold them too. I've had other vehicles before with carpeted cargo sides but they all cost more than my CX-5: 1999 Lexus RX300, 2004.5 VW Passat wagon 1.8T4Motion, 2014 Nissan Murano SL and 2017.5 Nissan Murano SV.

that doesn't sound good at all to me. wouldn't that potentially shorten engine life and the life of other components, unless it was set low before?? :oops:

Thanks for your comment! I particularly like the cargo area on my CX-5 as it looks very upscale compared to most competitors; the sides are carpeted, the 40/20/40 seat back is practical and the remote levers to fold them too. I've had other vehicles before with carpeted cargo sides but they all cost more than my CX-5: 1999 Lexus RX300, 2004.5 VW Passat wagon 1.8T4Motion, 2014 Nissan Murano SL and 2017.5 Nissan Murano SV.
yeah, a lot of carmakers cheap out with the plastics. i remember my 2012 jetta se had such cheap plastic trim, including a shiny hard plastic dashboard. the seats were hard too and no lumbar support and not heated despite being pleather. step up to the sel trim or one of the gli models and you got better plastics, seats, stereo and other features. the newer jettas look even cheaper inside. i later had a 2016 golf se, and that car was leaps and bounds nicer inside than the jetta, including carpeted glove box and door pockets. a couple of years later, they started cheaping out on that model too.

Honda has their fans but I think they are playing a dangerous game. Not to bash Honda any more than necessary but base 2023 Pilot is $52,600 in Canada ($50,650 + $1950 freight), yikes!…

A “dangerous game”? LOL. The average price of a new vehicle in 2022 is above $48,000 US. That’s almost $65,000 CDN. Kinda puts things in perspective doesn’t it? This isn’t 2019 anymore. If Honda can sell all they make - which it seems they can - then the joke’s on Toyota and Mazda…

A “dangerous game”? LOL. The average price of a new vehicle in 2022 is above $48,000 US. That’s almost $65,000 CDN. Kinda puts things in perspective doesn’t it? This isn’t 2019 anymore. If Honda can sell all they make - which it seems they can - then the joke’s on Toyota and Mazda…
Agreed. Time will tell. Most people are buying based on monthly payments they can afford but financing for 7-8 years is not financially a good idea. Lets enjoy Mazda's reasonable prices while they last:giggle:

Back