Off Topic What are ya listening to?

That Ben Howard song is masterful! Beautiful bit of music, shades of Jon Gomm with the percussive guitar playing

I'm liking the Duane Stephenson track too, reggae is such a cruisy genre, no flash, no dramatics, just a good groove and good vibes

Drumming! Love a good drum battle, I was expecting the usual showy stuff with those moving stages, but that was actually really cool!

A few favourite drummers in no particular order:

Benny Greb (light/Jazz)

Baard Kolstad (prog metal)

Dan Foord (Prog metal)

Louise Cole (Jazz/ Funk with a tiny kit)

That Jon Gomm thing is really cool.

Have I mentioned I LOVE female voices. :D Found a band I'd not heard of.
Touring with Evanescence.

I'll see your Halestorm and raise you Billy Nomates :)

with a concert as bonus

Last edited:
@7eregrine
I mistook Halestorm for Alestorm and was prepared for some pirate metal! I kinda dig Halestorm too!

@Mat6 Digging this! For some reason I'm getting old school Grace Jones vibes. Must be the minimal instruments and the spoken-word style singing

Here's my contributions:
Miss June:

Bite me Bambi:

Catbite:

And for something completely different; LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER This guy makes and modifies all of his instruments (the main synth below is almost entirely scratch built), puts out a electronics video every week, is setting up his own museum and somehow still has the energy to release amazing music!

I never cared for The Beatles. I just have never been a fan of the whole 50's/60's "rock and roll" Dick Clark era music that my mom grew up with. :sick:

I subscribe to a YouTube channel from a guy named Rick Beato, who is a Nashville music engineer, and he's produced a #1 hit song. He does a series called "What Makes This Song Great" that's really interesting. He deep dives into the absolute tiniest minutiae of songs.

Rick often says that his favorite band is The Beatles, and it got me thinking: WHY?!?!

So I decided to do my own deep dive, and give The Beatles another shot, starting with Sgt. Pepper, as that album is always, always on people's "Top Ten" lists, and I've never actually listened to it.

WOW! I absolutely loved it! Every song! This was nothing like The Beatles I remembered hating so much!

I kept going, and now have listened to the entire Beatles discography, from Please Please Me, to Let It Be.

Once I got to The Beatles earlier stuff, anything before Help, I quickly remembered why I was never a fan. Let's call it their "Ed Sullivan" years: eww. Terrible. Absolutely not a fan whatsoever.

Help is kinda a transition album, where half of the songs are good, the other half, terrible.

But pretty much anything starting with Rubber Sole and then later? Absolutely, positively on point. Terrific songwriting, musicianship, and vocals. I now understand why so many people really dig The Beatles.

The difference between the earlier stuff and their later stuff is so stark, it's almost like it's two entirely different bands, no lie.

So yeah, The Beatles is what I've been listening to these last couple weeks.

Agreed about the Beatles. I didn't like them much when I was a kid, but they seem to get better over the years. Lol, they really changed when the weed kicked in, didn't they? For the better!

An Opihi is a big (maybe silver dollar-sized) barnacle that grows on the lava sea cliffs on the big island of Hawaii. The locals love them and will buy 'em for 100 bucks a pound, but you have to risk your life scampering down razor sharp lava cliffs between huge pounding Hawaiian waves to get them.

Also, that's one of the worlds best Uke players.

Last edited:
My first musical obsession was the Beatles, waaay back when the best-of album One came out!( I would have been 11!) I was obsessed with a few songs, Paperback writer and Come together for example.

In primary school my class got to record Imagine and let it be for a radio contest, AC/DC's drummer lived up the road and his son was in the class so we all got to go to a proper recording studio with an actual rock star!

This week has been a Mastodon kind of week, they have all sorts of styles and tend to move between sub-genres frequently. The Hunter is my favourite album of theirs. Perfect balance of groove, progressive and heavy.

Bumping this thread as I went down memory lane this morning.

Nothing like a trip down memory lane! Love it, and have been doing something similar lately as well

Thrice has a new album out too!

Speaking of new albums, I'm unreasonably excited for Twelve Foot Ninja's new album in a few weeks

Edit:

And for something a bit fun, here's a Ska cover of Eurythmics Sweet dreams (are made of this)

Last edited:
I just finished Pink Floyd's entire discography from "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" to "The Endless River".

I had forgotten just how much I love that band.

Even the so-called weaker albums such as "More" and "Obscured by Clouds" are still absolutely epic.

I’m listening to my favorite song In the air tonight – Judith Hill. It’s the soundtrack from the series "Little fires everywhere". I just love this song. When I hear it, I immediately relax, disconnect from the outside world. I don't know how it works, before that no soundtrack from the movie or series affected me like that. Sometimes I want to watch this series again just because there is this song.

Daaang, that is a lovely voice, and a lovely cover. I can see why it's so relaxing! I'm glad that the famous drum fill was kept in as well

Lately I've been deep diving in to Drum and Bass mixes, nothing too bouncy or wild, but things with good vibes. UKF has a series showcasing artists in unusual locations, like in a wind turbine;

Or just on a roof top

As it's coming in to summer here, these are the perfect sound track to long hot days!

Been doing a bit of the 1980s sounds of late.

Reminds me that I must get on and fit out the CX-5 with better sounds.

Have a fairly extensive build in my car. It gets reasonable hifi quality sounds ... or can be tuned to a night club :cool:

With this first track I've always found it hard to tune with sub. Around 2:12 where the drum kicks in on most of my tunes it gets centered rather than right channel. Took a bit of sub time alignment to bring the bass forward and to the right

Not the cure , but great remake

Bump since it's always cool to hear what other people are vibing on. :cool:
I stumbled on this the other day and it kinda bounces around in my head.

New music! Love it, and a nice variety as well!

I've gone and bought myself a bass guitar and am slowly learning a few songs bit by bit, a favourite so far is 'Gangsters' by The Specials:

Along with their more well known tune 'Ghost Town'

Of course paying more attention to bass has lead me deep down a Primus rabbit hole

And the Youtube algorithms served this up one day and it quickly became an obsession. Flemmish groove metal with a twist:

And finally something to relax to, Hania Rani creates beautiful piano soundscapes that are like a warm cup of tea on a rainy day.

New music! Love it, and a nice variety as well!

I've gone and bought myself a bass guitar and am slowly learning a few songs bit by bit, a favourite so far is 'Gangsters' by The Specials:

I did the same thing. I got a cheap POS Fender Jazz ripoff and a little 1x8 15w amp. To help teach myself, I picked up a copy of Rocksmith 2014 for my Xbox. It comes with a dongle that lets you jack your bass right into the Xbox! Think of it as sorta like Guitar Hero, but instead of using a plastic toy, you use your actual guitar or bass! It's really, really cool. They make versions for Playstation and PC as well.

Starting from assuming you've never picked up a guitar in your life (which I hadn't), it coaches you along, and as you get better and better, you eventually get to a place called "Master Mode" where all of the coaching disappears. I got to this point playing bass on Rush's "Spirit of the Radio". The feeling was EPIC! Geddy is the bass demigod, and I was playing one of his most famous songs!

This is what it looks like.

This is a pretty cool documentary. So so many old tunes we know (California Dreamn' and Good Vibrations for example) were written buy The Wrecking Crew, led by a lady on the bass. Carol Kaye is a near-forgotten legend.

The compete Wrecking Crew doc is available for free on youtube. Worth a watch.

@theblooms Thanks for the hint! I've heard Rocksmith is good from several people now, shame the last console I played was the original Xbox about 10 years ago :D

Rush is on my list to get in to, they never really took off in NZ and are very rarely played on the radio so they have never been on the radar for me. My favourite bands (Coheed and Cambria, Haken) are heavily Rush influenced so I'm planning on sitting down and going through a few albums soon.

@Natey Love hearing about session musicians, they're the backbone of so many fantastic albums and songs, Added the documentary to the 'to watch' list! Carol Kaye sounds like an absolute legend.

Back