2017~2024 What’s leather and what’s not?

I recently purchased a 2018 grand touring with leather seats. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is leather inside including the door panels, dashboard and middle counsel. I’m wanting to get a product to clean and condition the leather, seeing as though I don’t think the previous owner ever did. I assume that anything with stitching is going to be the leather but I wasn’t quite sure. Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• 55423A32-E13F-48B6-9694-40D5A3463FF0.jpeg
    55423A32-E13F-48B6-9694-40D5A3463FF0.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 130
I would like to know as well. Looking at the underside of each piece would tell us, but that is likely to be destructive. I hope someone has the answer.

Frank

Upvote 0
As far as I know everything except the seating pad and backrest side (the dotted ones) is not leather at all. It's some synth material that mimics leather.
In reality there is not much leather in the car. :) You can wipe it all with clean damp microfiber.

The seating pad with the holes is a coated leather so be careful with the chemistry. You don't want to remove the coating.

Upvote 0
I would recommend a wipedown of the seats with a damp microfiber cloth every day. All seating surfaces are sealed with a coating, so a leather reconditioner isn't going to do anything except leave a temporary coating on the leather and make it smell different. Daily wipedown of the seats does 2 things - cleans the leather, and increases humidity inside the car. The dried/creased leather will absorb the moisture from the air around it and cause the leather to expand, which can reduce the appearance of wrinkles/creases. Some have also recommended leaving the damp towel underneath the seats for a couple of hours at a time, since the leather will absorb most of the moisture from the untreated side.

One or two members here have tried this method to get the creases out of their seats, with good results. I plan to do the same for the nappa leather in my CX-9, and take some before/after photos.

Upvote 0
I would recommend a wipedown of the seats with a damp microfiber cloth every day. All seating surfaces are sealed with a coating, so a leather reconditioner isn't going to do anything except leave a temporary coating on the leather and make it smell different. Daily wipedown of the seats does 2 things - cleans the leather, and increases humidity inside the car. The dried/creased leather will absorb the moisture from the air around it and cause the leather to expand, which can reduce the appearance of wrinkles/creases. Some have also recommended leaving the damp towel underneath the seats for a couple of hours at a time, since the leather will absorb most of the moisture from the untreated side.

One or two members here have tried this method to get the creases out of their seats, with good results. I plan to do the same for the nappa leather in my CX-9, and take some before/after photos.
I'm wondering if that towel trick will work. I had a case of water in the back seat for about a week and it left creases that are shaped like the bottles. I did lay down the back seats for a week with some luggage weighing it down and most of the creases came out but there's still a few left.

Upvote 0
Btw I did use "Chemical Guys" brand leather cleaner and conditioner on my seats. It really made them pop and feel soft/slick. Plus its leather scented and made the car smell nice.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if that towel trick will work. I had a case of water in the back seat for about a week and it left creases that are shaped like the bottles. I did lay down the back seats for a week with some luggage weighing it down and most of the creases came out but there's still a few left.

Worth a shot :)

Upvote 0
Btw the seats are either "leather-trimmed" or "nappa leather-trimmed", as listed on the MazdaUSA website. As @cz5gt mentioned, the perforated parts on the seats are synthetic, as well as the seat backs (I think?).

screen.JPG

Upvote 0
Now I'm really confused. I thought that cz5gt was telling us that the ONLY parts that are leather are the perforated seating pad and backrest. Sm1ke seems to have the opposite view.

I'm guessing that Mazda has never been forthcoming in any specific way, and that no one knows for sure what is leather and what is vinyl. All we know for sure is that it is a mix of materials. Whether leather or vinyl is predominant is a matter of conjecture. I'll just be sure to use a cleaner/conditioner/protectant that is compatible with both materials.

Frank

Upvote 0
Now I'm really confused. I thought that cz5gt was telling us that the ONLY parts that are leather are the perforated seating pad and backrest. Sm1ke seems to have the opposite view.

I'm guessing that Mazda has never been forthcoming in any specific way, and that no one knows for sure what is leather and what is vinyl. All we know for sure is that it is a mix of materials. Whether leather or vinyl is predominant is a matter of conjecture. I'll just be sure to use a cleaner/conditioner/protectant that is compatible with both materials.

Frank

You're right, I misread cz5gt's post and thought we were talking about the same areas. It is my understanding that the perforated surfaces and the seat backs are synthetic, and the bolsters are genuine leather/nappa leather, but I can't be 100% sure. I just assumed that they wouldn't take a nice piece of leather and poke holes through it.

I can't seem to find the source for that info anymore. I vaguely remember reading about it on this forum somewhere, either in this sub or in the CX-9 sub.

Upvote 0
The new synthetics REALLY look and feel like leather. And manufacturers are now able to match colours very well. Given that nearly all leather destined for upholstery is 'coated' these days, the difference in 'breathability' and its subsequent comfort to the passenger has diminished. So it is really hard to tell the difference without looking at the reverse side to see if it is rough leather or fabric. I believe that, with proper care, leather will still remain sound (not cracked or split) much longer than vinyl.

If I could dismantle a totaled wreck, with nothing more than a razor knife I could tell for sure.

Regards............................. Frank

Upvote 0
Leather-Trimmed = the pieces that you butt sits on and your back leans on are genuine leather.
Others are synthetic/faux leather.

Steering wheel could be genuine leather if so equipped.

In most vehicles with 3rd row seats, no genuine leather on it at all.
All faux leather.

In general, that is.

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread but I just want to clear things up regarding what is and what is not leather.

First of all, the perforated sections of the seats are leather as are the bolster areas that touch your body. This leather is non porous due to it being coated with plastic. No leather conditioner will help or hurt it. Save your money and only use mild soap and water with a soft cloth and dry towel.

All other parts of our interiors are vinyl. No leather, what so ever.

Napa leather, on the other hand, is premium, porous leather that will benefit from good quality, leather conditioner products. Napa is also softer and more comfortable. It's also a lot more expensive. It is not covered with plastic or vinyl like the other leathers so a bit more care is required. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread but I just want to clear things up regarding what is and what is not leather.

First of all, the perforated sections of the seats are leather as are the bolster areas that touch your body. This leather is non porous due to it being coated with plastic. No leather conditioner will help or hurt it. Save your money and only use mild soap and water with a soft cloth and dry towel.

Napa leather, on the other hand, is premium, porous leather that will benefit from good quality, leather conditioner products. Napa is also softer and more comfortable. It's also a lot more expensive. It is not covered with plastic or vinyl like the other leathers so a bit more care is required. Well worth it, in my opinion.
So, which years and levels of trim have "regular" leather and which have "Napa" leather?

Upvote 0

Just curious, what is your source for what is and isn't leather/napa leather?

Upvote 0
Back