Whacky After Visit To Car Wash

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Not having a lot of luck taking my car to a local carwash. Many weeks ago they did something to the passenger side mirror so it doesn't close completely every time. Supposedly that will be repaired on warranty but still waiting for the call. Today I thought well they can't hurt the mirror anymore than they already have and the car was really dirty/muddy from a long dirt road trip so decided to take a chance. I have no idea what the kid did but when I got in the car after the wash it didn't want to start, like the engine was slow to turn over. On second try it caught but virtually all the dashboard warnings came on one after another and there was a red warning triangle to lower left of the speedometer. I drove to an area where I could park and opened the hood. There was dust on the engine so they clearly hadn't washed it. I went to start the car again and went through the same symptoms. I then drove about 500 ft and entered a shopping center where I parked the car again. After making some purchases I got back in the car, key fob in my pocket, stepped on the brake and pushed the start button. Started right up normally, no warning messages on the dash and the red triangle was gone. So whatever the carwash kid had done the car seemed to reset it's self and it seems now all is well. Any idea what the heck that kid could have done to cause that temporary havoc?

Check the connectors of your 12V. One of the two could be loose (or your battery is going).

The autofolding side mirrors do not like water stream getting into the gaps...Dirt might block the track/motion (not closing completely).

My two cents.

x2 on checking the battery. Did they hand dry the car for you as well? If they did, they may have left the radio on with the engine off while drying (employees used to do this at a car wash I used to go to when I was a kid). On a car with a bad battery, this can result in a slow start, and the car would show all those warnings to indicate a bad battery.

When they washed the car, did they wash the engine bay? If they use the wrong tool (like a pressure washer) to rinse the engine bay, they may have forced water into areas they shouldn't have, which could cause those electrical issues.

Could the car wash folks have had your car ignition in the "on" position without the engine running for a period of time? May have dropped the voltage enough to cause your issues.

Not having a lot of luck taking my car to a local carwash. Many weeks ago they did something to the passenger side mirror so it doesn't close completely every time. Supposedly that will be repaired on warranty but still waiting for the call. Today I thought well they can't hurt the mirror anymore than they already have and the car was really dirty/muddy from a long dirt road trip so decided to take a chance. I have no idea what the kid did but when I got in the car after the wash it didn't want to start, like the engine was slow to turn over. On second try it caught but virtually all the dashboard warnings came on one after another and there was a red warning triangle to lower left of the speedometer. I drove to an area where I could park and opened the hood. There was dust on the engine so they clearly hadn't washed it. I went to start the car again and went through the same symptoms. I then drove about 500 ft and entered a shopping center where I parked the car again. After making some purchases I got back in the car, key fob in my pocket, stepped on the brake and pushed the start button. Started right up normally, no warning messages on the dash and the red triangle was gone. So whatever the carwash kid had done the car seemed to reset it's self and it seems now all is well. Any idea what the heck that kid could have done to cause that temporary havoc?

If you want something done right, do it yourself. I live by that motto and have for my entire life.

If you want something done right, do it yourself. I live by that motto and have for my entire life.

I'll bite. So when you need <insert any> surgery do you open a medical training book and perform the process on yourself or a loved one? I know this motto is quaint and lends itself to a more simpler times, but each time I see it or hear it I know the person is stating a very specific set of skills and experience.

I'll bite. So when you need <insert any> surgery do you open a medical training book and perform the process on yourself or a loved one? I know this motto is quaint and lends itself to a more simpler times, but each time I see it or hear it I know the person is stating a very specific set of skills and experience.
Maybe the saying should be refined a little bit -- If you want something done right and you're competent in doing it - then do it youself. Just know your limitations.

And by the way we're talking about washing a car - not brain surgery.

And by the way we're talking about washing a car - not brain surgery.

Exactly - the assumption that a car wash is "so simple" that "anyone has that skill" -- different people have different skills and experiences. The thought exercise here is that OP was "wrong" for even taking the car to a service provider in the first place because "if you want something done right do it yourself". OP stated the car was excessively dirty and simply wanted to get the vehicle clean in a quick and low effort manner. Something went wrong. As things do.. and here we are discussing doing everything yourself with proper skills because that is the only way things get done correctly. And when a person doesn't have the skills / experience / time to DIY - then it is back to "well.. shame on you if you want something done right do it yourself". Let than helpful conversation indeed.

OP -- has the problem returned? My keyboard diagnostics is that a bit of water vapor into the intake at the front of the vehicle caused the stutter and rough running conditions. Not enough water to hydro lock the vehicle.. but enough to make it "cough".

Last edited:
I've never had an engine bay cleaned. When the thought, "Wouldn't that look nice," crossed my mind it quickly passed in thinking about electronic gremlins.

Pitter said they didn't clean the bay as evidenced by dust on the engine. Anyway, these symptoms would be consistent with water messing with electronics that just needed some drying out.

Was this just a hand wash or was there an undercarriage wash involved? The undercarriage wash might have worked water up into something. Does your Colombia version have what I suppose is a heat shield enclosing the the bottom of the engine bay? I don't see why not, but if it didn't and the undercarriage was washed that raises the likelihood of this possible cause.

I'm reminded of my 1996 Chrysler JXi convertible with a cracked distributor. It showed no symptoms except when an undercarriage wash was performed after which one cylinder would misfire. It would right itself pretty quickly.

The other comments may be more plausible possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not having a lot of luck taking my car to a local carwash... and the car was really dirty/muddy from a long dirt road trip so decided to take a chance... but when I got in the car after the wash it didn't want to start, like the engine was slow to turn over.
HardRightEge: Was this just a hand wash or was there an undercarriage wash involved? The undercarriage wash might have worked water up into something. Does your Colombia version have what I suppose is a heat shield enclosing the the bottom of the engine bay? I don't see why not, but if it didn't and the undercarriage was washed that raises the likelihood of this possible cause.
Pitter,

I'm also thinking a undercarriage wet-down was your real issue from an undercarriage (manual) spray pre-wash/automatic pressurized ride-through car wash clean-up after that "really dirty/muddy...long dirt road trip".

I've had water soak the exhaust/catalytic converter/rear oxygen sensors wiring and the car wanted to stall out and ran bad until it dried out from just driving through heavy standing rain puddles in my old '88 Nissan Maxima.

My daughter also recently complained of having near-engine-stalling issues as well on her "01 Toyota Corolla driving through rain puddles (my next car to work on).

Or maybe its just one of those 2018/2019 CX5 things...
Consumer Reports 2018/2019 CX5 Stalling Recall

On second try it caught but virtually all the dashboard warnings came on one after another and there was a red warning triangle to lower left of the speedometer. I drove to an area where I could park and opened the hood. There was dust on the engine so they clearly hadn't washed it. I went to start the car again and went through the same symptoms. I then drove about 500 ft and entered a shopping center where I parked the car again. After making some purchases I got back in the car, key fob in my pocket, stepped on the brake and pushed the start button. Started right up normally, no warning messages on the dash and the red triangle was gone. So whatever the carwash kid had done the car seemed to reset it's self and it seems now all is well. Any idea what the heck that kid could have done to cause that temporary havoc?
Since you seem to be an "off-roader" type, here is a snapshot and from a forum where some have issues similar to yours just a bit "different" vehicles...

Car Wash Stalling
Water Stalling.jpg

:giggle:

Thank you all, very helpful responces. The idea of humidity in the wrong place certainly makes sense and the fact that the car was parked in the sun in 85 to 90 degree heat after I removed it from the car wash could certainly explain it drying out and returnining to normal. There have been no issues since. The car washes in Colombia are all done by hand and take an hour and a half or so depending on the level of service you elect. Many have a lift or ramp and can get under the car for a thorough cleaning of the underside. The place I've gone to doesn't and no such thing as automatic drive through washes here. Reminds me I myself worked in a carwash for a few months back in 1964 in Mansfield, Ohio. There were about twelve of us in the crew and we got a penny for every car that went through. On a very good day we could make $20. One day a kid brought a big bottle of Vodka to work and we were all roaring drunk by 7:30 am. Cars that day had to go through three or four times before they were clean. Furious customers!

Reminds me I myself worked in a carwash for a few months back in 1964 in Mansfield, Ohio. There were about twelve of us in the crew and we got a penny for every car that went through. On a very good day we could make $20. One day a kid brought a big bottle of Vodka to work and we were all roaring drunk by 7:30 am. Cars that day had to go through three or four times before they were clean. Furious customers!
Haha. Great story. Made me laugh.

Are you seriously asking me this question?

My answer, what do you think?

Exactly - the assumption that a car wash is "so simple" that "anyone has that skill" -- different people have different skills and experiences. The thought exercise here is that OP was "wrong" for even taking the car to a service provider in the first place because "if you want something done right do it yourself". OP stated the car was excessively dirty and simply wanted to get the vehicle clean in a quick and low effort manner. Something went wrong. As things do.. and here we are discussing doing everything yourself with proper skills because that is the only way things get done correctly. And when a person doesn't have the skills / experience / time to DIY - then it is back to "well.. shame on you if you want something done right do it yourself". Let than helpful conversation indeed.

OP -- has the problem returned? My keyboard diagnostics is that a bit of water vapor into the intake at the front of the vehicle caused the stutter and rough running conditions. Not enough water to hydro lock the vehicle.. but enough to make it "cough".

You certainly are reading a LOT into my simple statement. Do I really have to explain this to you?

It is interesting that this comes up again because it was not long after my original post about the carwash issue that a friend and I found ourselves stranded with a car that wouldn't start. Posted that story earlier. When I first tried to start it and it wouldn't the dashboard showed all the dash warnings in sequence just like at the car wash. The friend who was with me for the non start event postulated that the battery problem was a latent result of the carwash issue. No idea. However regarding the carwash I always do a prewash at home before taking it to one of them. In the past I had a new vehicle show light scratches after one of these car washes. It was quite muddy and that was their excuse.

It is interesting that this comes up again because it was not long after my original post about the carwash issue that a friend and I found ourselves stranded with a car that wouldn't start. Posted that story earlier. When I first tried to start it and it wouldn't the dashboard showed all the dash warnings in sequence just like at the car wash. The friend who was with me for the non start event postulated that the battery problem was a latent result of the carwash issue. No idea. However regarding the carwash I always do a prewash at home before taking it to one of them. In the past I had a new vehicle show light scratches after one of these car washes. It was quite muddy and that was their excuse.

You prewash your car before taking it to the car wash? Ok then...

The two times this has happened is right after a car wash, right? So it stands to reason the car wash is the cause and it stands to reason the most likely thing they did was get water in the engine compartment. This is a hand wash outfit, right? So it wouldn't be their undercarriage washer.

Have you questioned them about their procedures? Are you sure they are not popping the hood and "cleaning" the engine compartment? If they are, tell them to stop.

Back