Weapon-R Ram Intake for CX-9

IMHO, CAI serves two purposes
1) cold air: the stock intake is drawing air from right beneath the hood.
The tube might be simple plastic (not the double tubing as in Weapon-R), but my
ScanGauge-IIX indicates the the intake air temp is very close to outside temp,
which is the best you can get. So, no benefit here.
2) higher flow: For this purpose, you can simply change out the stock filter with others.
However, so many people here will give you a lesson on how stock filter is the best so that you
don't allow fine particales into the cylinders. It is a trade-off IMO. For me and some here, we
use K&N filters.

Just my two cents.

I read up on this out of curiosity. As one reviewer put it... " i dont care for how they look at all. it just reminds me of an intake that you would see on a 89 accord with an aluminum spoiler, 13x13 rims, and a nike check in size 600 font on the rear window. just like those intercooler intakes."

That is my personal overall view on this product. (After all "Weapon-R" is very "Type R" sounding, which goes well with the guys that put a "Type R" badge on a Honda Civic when that designation belongs to Acura)

But for others out there who have this, they seem to agree that it provides similar pros/cons of any other cai tube & filter and provides about the same benefit.
I haven't found a review that says it performs much better than a ten dollar knockoff intake.

Seems like a lot of money when there are similar products available for far less.

P.S. I searched for "Weapon-R Secret" on Amazon, found tons of these intakes for all sorts of cars, and could only find one review on Amazon which tells me its not a hot item.

Last edited:
^^^ Agreed on what you say... except: "the guys that put a "Type R" badge on a Honda Civic when that designation belongs to Acura". Civic Type R was first released in Japan in 1997. But before that, the "R" badge has been used in Honda civic since 1990 (as Civic SiR), The only Acura Type R released in America is based on Honda Integra type R (again, it seems that Acura is copying Honda)

Yeah your right.... But you get my point. No mid 90s civic type r was made.

yep, but doesnt mean Type R belong to Acura :) The first type R belongs to NSX and was released in Japan only under Honda brand (1992) anyway, let just get back to the topic shall we? :)

Sure. The consensus on the internet seems to be one of neutrality: It will likely give you more airflow over oem air cleaner housing & components, but don't expect to see gains above and beyond that which you could buy at a local rocket rice racer store for twenty bucks. That was my take away from it.

I have had an ear on this topic for years. There is the voltage system which provides better grounding, supposedly uses less drain on the battery for slight hp increases, then you have the dingleberry doohopper that you wire in-line with your mass air flow sensor that supposedly tricks the o2 sensors, then there is drop in air filter, then there is your ole-fashion 'Type R' cold air intake, then you have folks that made an un-powered / self-powered "air supercharger" that spins around from the force of incoming air and supposedly blows more air into the intake than the amount of air coming in. (this defies physics).

One day someone might come up with something truly groundbreaking, simple, cheap, that actually works and is safe.... but from what I have seen, that day hasn't come yet.

thanks hellbigtw, I think for us we better keep the CX9 stock dont you think? Its a "people mover" (not a proper 4WD) anyway and we dont need too much mods on it (since it already handle and drive well)

Junk. All it will do is make it sound different. Although the stock intake is plastic the air entering will not have the chance to heat up from the engine bay. #1 it's too short. The OEM box is right up front so the intake has a very short distance to travel plus it far enough from the motor as well.
Your also not going to get past the throttle body and injection system. So this CAI won't do much of anything. You may gain a 1/2 Hp out of it at best. Not worth the bother in my opinion.

Like I said before and I will keep on saying, stick with the OEM set up. Not worth wasting your money and time on all these filters, tubes and so forth.

Last edited:
According to my ScangaugeII's readings, the IAT (intake temp) is higher than outside temp
only when the car is idling at red lights for a while. Once it is moving, the temps differ only
by a few degree F.

Guys,
FWIW I have drive a 2009 MS3. The OEM intake system on that car is restrictive, has been proven so, and it's a performance car, not a family hauling grocery gitter. Most everyone who owns one and wants to start modifying it to make a bit more power starts with the intake system because so much noticeable power is available easily. That and a quick tune with a Hypertech or COBB will make a huge difference in the performance of the car. I know as I'm running both on mine. Just saying not all OEM systems - even from Mazda - are great off the showroom floor.

That said, until somebody conclusively proves the OEM intake on the CX9 is restricting the motor and costing HP, I don't see any point in buying a CAI for it unless you like wasting money. I also own a 2010 CX9 and have considered tinkering with this briefly.

There are multiple ways to go about this, but seeing as the demographic for the CX9 isn't going to be overly interested in spending $250 or more to gain 5hp that they'll only see at 6000rpm anyway, I highly doubt you'll see anyone bother. To top it off, even though this engine is utilized in the Edge, Taurus, and Mustang, I believe they use a different ECU, tune and intake system. So even if somebody unveils hidden HP in the 3.7 Ford engine by way of tuning and exhaust that justifies letting more air into the motor with an intake in those cars, it won't likely apply to ours. Even if it did, I would expect the cost to be nowhere near worth the gains.

Finally - my opinion here - Weapon R products are garbage! Had one for a Maxima. Filters are foam style and restrictive junk. I'll never buy anything from them again. They found a way to throw something together for the CX-9 and take a few people if you ask me. I would love for somebody to post a dyno sheet proving me wrong but I am not holding my breath.

Two cents provided - thanks for reading.

Back