Wattage in bulbs!

mixmasterlove

Contributor
I know this is a stupid ? but if the WATTAGE on a REPLACEMENT bulb is LESS than the WATTAGE on a OEM bulb, does that mean that it is SAFE to change the bulb to a lower wattage replacement bulb, and there is NO chance of frying your electrical sytem ??

Yes it is safe, but why would you change it for less light? Unless you were converting halogen headlights to xenon headlights....then you would get less wattage....from 55 watts to 35 watts.

Jus t wondering, I am trying to find HIGH BEAM & FOGLIGHT bulbs that will match my stock HIDs(AWD/GT). It seems like it is hard to find bulbs from the SAME MANUFACTURER that meet the wattage.
High Beam - 60 Watts
Foglight - 55 Watts

Well in honesty it won't matter...just don't go buying 80 or 100 watts for your high beams. 55 watts is pretty much the regular wattage for a low beam which also includes fog lights...
But honestly you won't find any bulb out there that will look like your h.i.d.'s. Try Sylvania's silverstars...you can get them at pepboys or autozone or advanced auto parts. They are your closest bet. Don't go buying cheap bulbs. They will melt the plastic off. Trust me from personal experience.

I think the silverstars are over in wattage...but I think I am gonna try the XTEC HIDMatches 4000k, they met the wattage or under by 5-10 watts

It is hard to find HB# (9005) bulbs that meet the wattage of 60...al I keep finding is 65 or HIGHER, don't want to take a chance with going over in wattage. The guy at RPM hasn't given me a straight answer about the wattage, just guestimations !!!!!!!!!! Still waiting for a response back.

njaremka said:
65 watts will be fine
I thought your NOT supposed to go OVER the WATTAGE, not even a little bit. I am not trying to take a chance frying my electrical system for a lil' blueish/white tint.

stick with the HB3 high beams (normal wattage) and get H9 bulbs for the fog lights, yes they WILL fit... both are 65 watts and the slight additional load should be OK

there are NOT any underwatt bulbs, don't waste your time... no one wants them and also they do NOT pass any regulatory specifications

TheMAN said:
stick with the HB3 high beams (normal wattage) and get H9 bulbs for the fog lights, yes they WILL fit... both are 65 watts and the slight additional load should be OK

there are NOT any underwatt bulbs, don't waste your time... no one wants them and also they do NOT pass any regulatory specifications
Thanks for the info but "should be OK", doesn't sound to safe to me. Thanks

High Beams

so has anyone really tried changing their high beam bulbs to somehow match the HID's?

I really couldnt find a 9005 with a 60 watt rating. all that i've seen are 65 watts and up.

mixmasterlove said:
I thought your NOT supposed to go OVER the WATTAGE, not even a little bit. I am not trying to take a chance frying my electrical system for a lil' blueish/white tint.

sissy (bike)

Back