Water Pump ?

joe944

porschefreak
Contributor
:
2002 mazda protege 5
Anyone know how long the thing lasts ?
Wasn't changed with my timing belts as asked ?
Thanks !

i changed mine at 170k and it was still working fine.

really depend on how often you changed the antifreeze and if you use distilled water over regular water.

Dare I ask, but has anybody made it to 200K ? Obviously you start taking your chances at a certain point. Thanks.

My buddy has close to 200K miles on original timing belt, water pump, and coolant. (eek)

No, it is 'on condition'. BUT most people change with timing belt because the pumps are 'cheap' and you potentially avoid labor to do it all over again just to replace the pump later. It is cheap insurance, but by no means is it a 'have-to'.

For what it's worth, I bought my 03 P5 in 07 with somewhere around 85k miles on it. I have no indication that either the timing belt or clutch or water pump were changed before then, and I have not done any of those since I got the car. I'm currently almost at 220k.

So either my timing belt and clutch were changed before I got it, and they now have 135k on them, or they were never changed, and they have almost 220k on them.

Needless to say, I've been driving on eggshells and prayers for a while now. (boom01)

Last edited:
Right. Eggshells. Gambling at this point, but I may luck out due to the durability of the car. Fingers crossed.
Not like a battery that has a specific life expectancy.
Thanks.

Back