Water leak inside top windshield!!!

jdmp5

Last night after washing my car in that high pressure self wash, i spotted some car soap inside the top of my windshield. then after inspecting the outside molding,i found a very small gap between the glass,and the trim. On monday i'm bring my car to the dealer to have it looked it. anyone have this problem with their P5? If they replace the outside molding,how long does it take for the glues to dry? since i don't have a garage,will the dealer hold the car till it's all done? Also i called my local dealer about this issed they told me to bring it in for inspection,then i asked for a loaner car,they said this program only apply to the dealer where i brought it from. BuLLSh*t!! I then called Mazda USA,they said it's not true. This local mazda dealer alway give me a hard time no matter what!! For the ppl near Manchester,CT DO NOT BRING YOUR CAR TO Morande Mazda on Tolland Tkpe.

the small rubber like molding that goes around your windown is NOT A SEAL of any kind...has nothing to do with sealing your window. the seal is totally made up of a bead of silicone sealant that is between the glass and the body/frame of the windshield. the molding as you called it, is in fact more of a filler and it ensures that when the windshield is installed that the edges of the windshield isn't touching anything....this way as the car and the glass expand and contract as tempatures change no undue stress will be imparted into the glass makeing it break.

IF you were to remove both of your wipers, and the black plastic piece that makes up the vent area in front of your windshield you will even see some small white "supports" that your windshield sits on...its how the bottom is supported and aligns your glass from top to bottom while everything sets up.

IF the dealer has to remove and reseal your windshield to completely get rid of your leak....which IMO is the only correct way to do it....then you NEED to NOT drive the car for 24 hours AFTER the new sealant has been applied. This will give you the best cure of the new sealant.

Leaks...

My question..."Do you have a sunroof?" My sunroof frame is cracked and will be replaced. How did I find out? When I was washing my vehicle I had a stream of water that ran down from the headliner - top of the windshield. I had the vehicle serviced and the problem did not go away and, in fact, increased to the point that I had water at the top of the pillar between the front windshield and driver's door. Good luck!

if you do indeed get the windshield replaced remember to leave the windows partially open...otherwise the air inside will expand and pop the windshield right back out...

I had a high pitch noise that would show up at speeds above 70mph and it turned out to be a bad seal on my windshield. They ended up breaking the windshield while removing it and replaced it and the gasket the fits around it. I have only heard about one other person that has needed the windshield re-sealed.
I dropped it off in the morning and had it back by that evening after work. Good as new. I did not have to do anything special for the window. I did however keep the windows opened a bit because of the strong odor of the adhesive.

MrJoel said:
I had a high pitch noise that would show up at speeds above 70mph and it turned out to be a bad seal on my windshield. They ended up breaking the windshield while removing it and replaced it and the gasket the fits around it. I have only heard about one other person that has needed the windshield re-sealed.
I dropped it off in the morning and had it back by that evening after work. Good as new. I did not have to do anything special for the window. I did however keep the windows opened a bit because of the strong odor of the adhesive.

I was specifically told by a professional glass guy that you COULD use the car after 7 or 8 hours...but for the BEST POSSIBLE seal...allow it to set for 24 hours if at all possible. He also told me about leaving at least one window cracked so that if the car heated up during the day the presure would not build up in the car and tend to push the windshield back OFF its seal. makes perfect sence to me.

Bumping this thread...

After all the rain we've had, I've noticed that I have a huge leak in the passenger side windshield (can't explain it good). I don't know if it's from the windshield or from the roofrack.

To describe, if I sit in the front passenger seat, I look up to where the windshield meets the roof on the right side, where the handle that the passenger can reach up and grab is, that's where the leak is. It's all stained... gonna call a stealership now...

I had a stress crack and the dealer replaced it for me for free after he debated it a bit.. I dropped it off at 8 am.. and picked it up at 5 pm.. i got no instructions about driving it, leaving windows down, etc.. and they wouldn't give me a loaner car either. :(
I was outside cleaning and re-RainXing the windshield yesterday and noticed a new small crack on the outside of the glass.. Doesn't look to go all the way thru the glass.. it is only a light scratch so I can't decide if i should go back to the dealership and show 'em or not..

My girlfriend had a leak at the top of her windshield in a '96 Chevy Lumina. We brought it to an auto glass place. It cost something like $35 and they re-sealed the whole thing. It took all of about half an hour to an hour and when it was done, it came with tape around the edge of the windshield. The guy said we could drive it, but just don't take the tape off for 24 hours. She hasn't had a problem with it since (about a year). The only thing that worried me a bit was their little disclaimer that if the windshield broke while they were taking it off or putting it back on, even if it was their fault, she would've had to buy a new windshield at her expense.

In the end, it might not even be worth your time to hassle with the dealer - just go to an auto glass shop and see what they'll do for you. A lot of them will even come to you with their little truck - you don't even have to bring the car in. I'm not sure if that applies to the windshield or not, though.

Patrick

It takes about an hour to completely replace a winshield. The guy did it right in front of me. Kind of fun to watch since I already had a broken winshield. Fast and easy. BTW winshield was like $100 and that included installation and removal of the old one. (Sounds like a matress commercial )

Well if it was the windshield then it sounds pretty clearcut, but I'm not sure if it is the windshield, you know? the interior cloth on the inside is wet to about halfway along above the passenger side door...

Is that what you guys experienced too? I hope it's that simple 'cause the stealership says they don't have loaner cars. What BS.

MadBiker said:
Well if it was the windshield then it sounds pretty clearcut, but I'm not sure if it is the windshield, you know? the interior cloth on the inside is wet to about halfway along above the passenger side door...

Is that what you guys experienced too? I hope it's that simple 'cause the stealership says they don't have loaner cars. What BS.

"STealership" LOL.. that is very funny!(rofl)

Back