WANTED: Exhaust Opinions

Ok folks, starting to think on an exhaust build here due to the aging OE pieces and was wondering about a few different routes. First off, the motor, turbo, intake etc. is all stock. Should I...

Buy an individual muffler and go to an exhaust shop and have custom pipe bent and installed...
or
Buy a bolt-in kit from the likes of Corksport or a comparable manufacturer? If so, are there any kits that are recommended over others?

I want a throaty sound, none of that tinny, fart-can Honda Civic crap sound... You know, something closer to a WRX than a Civic but nothing ungodly...I'd like to remain subtle.

Also, future mods will come as money allows...but, with an essentially stock set-up, should I stick with 2.5" or go up to 3"?

I would go 3 dont do straight pipe cuz its crazy loud get a highflow cat. Corksport makes a good exhaust also magnaflow is nice

You can always start with replacing the midpipe with a catless or one with a hi-flow cat. The stock catback isnt so bad, its 2.25". If you have the money go with the Corksport.

IMO there is no point in spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars when you can go to an exhaust shop, tell them exactly what you need, have them do the work in an hour and be out with only ~$200 out of pocket.

Here is a video I just took. Ignore the crazyness of the camera when inside of the car, it's just giving you an idea of the sound inside and how it won't drive you insane.
I had a 3" exhaust done (Still have original downpipe for now), took off cats and resonator, installed a magnaflow exhaust and kept the original tip. I think it looks much better vs the Cliche ricer cans on the back.

Last edited:
You can use the plug fouler trick. I'm running without cats and I haven't had the CEL come on and I'm not using the plug fouler.

Last edited:
I can't go back of course but for the money I spent on the Apex 2.5 downpipe, repairing it when the S/S flex hose broke and the Greddy SP2 exhaust system I should have simply went to Jiffy Exhaust shop and had him fab up 2.5" exhaust piping from the turbo down with a S/S flex hose, bung for the 2nd O2 and exiting to either an HKS or Greddy racing muffler. That option would have been less expensive and virtually trouble free over these past years. Something like this minus the POS muffler that he used. http://importsnc.com/forums/nationa...d-protege-nsi-fabrication-intake-exhaust.html

I paid $300 for the ApexR1 j/mid and Greddy sp2 new back in the day. Great combo!

Thanks for the videos guys. Jo060...yours sounds pretty tolerable...are you modded out fairly heavily? I am concerned about losing back pressure if I go to a 3" without anymore major power going through it.

BOOSTR, the build in the link looks about like something I would want...and after what I am hearing, losing the resonator doesn't seem to create too much unwanted racket. Would it be worse on a 2.5" as opposed to a 3" I wonder?

Also, would anyone see any fault in keeping the original RH muffler on the car? It appears to be solid.

As of now, a straight 2.5" from the downpipe back to the muffler with a piece of flex and an O2 bung in there is seeming like the way to go...objections?

Thanks for the videos guys. Jo060...yours sounds pretty tolerable...are you modded out fairly heavily? I am concerned about losing back pressure if I go to a 3" without anymore major power going through it.

Turbo cars want free flowing exhausts for more power. NA is a different story. You want a turbo to spool quickly. The idea is to minimize the pressure downstream of the turbine in order to make the most effective use of the pressure that is being generated upstream of the turbine

Not at all. Stiffer mounts, Injen intake, Silicone intercooler hose, Forge BPV, and an exhaust, that's about it.
Remember the the turbo also helps quiet things down.

Turbo cars want free flowing exhausts for more power. NA is a different story. You want a turbo to spool quickly. The idea is to minimize the pressure downstream of the turbine in order to make the most effective use of the pressure that is being generated upstream of the turbine

Ok, gotcha....this is my first forced-induction car so I am still learning alot of these things. Thanks for explaining...

Back