Want a Manual Transmission? Hope you like Silver, Grey, and Black...

political-promises.jpg

If it really is a make or break issue for you (having stick + AWD) I would go into the dealer and talk through it. They might be able to special order if you don't mind paying full msrp (or possibly over msrp). Money talks.

I am wondering if an AWD manual is being offered in any country. When I was in Ireland last summer, automatic transmissions were rare. I rented a Ford Mondeo diesel with a 6 speed manual and drove it around the country for 10 days. They delivered it to my hotel in Dublin and I quickly had to learn to shift with my left hand and steer with my right. It was nerve racking at first, but after the first day, I got the hang of it. I've never been Ford fan, but I loved that diesel. You could cruise down the highway in 6th gear with the engine turning over at 1900 rpm. It was quiet and didn't smell like the diesels of the past, but I digress.

When I was walking around various cities in Ireland, out of curiosity, I would look into cars that I walked by to see if they were manuals, and about 90% were. The strangest thing I saw was a full sized, 2 door Lexus LX SUV with a manual. It looked like a slightly shortened LX 470. Who could possibly need a car like that? Just getting in and out of the back seat would require gymnastic ability.

Anyway, if there is a place in the world where Mazda is selling an AWD manual CX5 with left hand drive I would be interested in hearing about it. I would be willing to pay a premium for it.

BTW, Ireland was beautiful. I spent a couple of hours one morning in the Swan pub in Dublin, drinking Powers Irish whiskey with Guiness chasers talking with the owner. Don't miss it if you ever get to Ireland.

If it really is a make or break issue for you (having stick + AWD) I would go into the dealer and talk through it. They might be able to special order if you don't mind paying full msrp (or possibly over msrp). Money talks.
Manual transmission + AWD would be an engineering task that probably isn't available if they say it isn't.

Manual transmission + bluetooth handsfree, on the other hand, is not an engineering challenge but a head-scratcher of an oversight. Why would they not offer this combination? Who is going to benefit more from a handsfree phone device than someone using a manual transmission?

This might actually prevent me from getting a CX-5. I need to be on the phone in the car a lot (in a state with a hands-free law) and have never heard a bluetooth unit (earpiece, portable, etc) that sounds as good as a factory-installed one. I'm only interested in the manual transmission, and I can't understand why that would preclude the bluetooth package, especially when many competitors offer it standard on all models.

Sigh.

Manual transmission + bluetooth handsfree, on the other hand, is not an engineering challenge but a head-scratcher of an oversight. Why would they not offer this combination? Who is going to benefit more from a handsfree phone device than someone using a manual transmission?

This is actually available over here in Canada: http://mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsPricing&vehicleCode=CX5

GX-FWD-6MT + Convenience package. Weird that it isn't an option for the US models, it is still a bigger overall market than Canada AFAIK…

Last edited:
interesting thanks.. would that the us $ were still as strong as it used to be :)

I took the time to look at the US website, under the specs for the CX-5 they list a "Bluetooth audio package" as available on the Sport trim, however the configurator does not when selecting 6MT.

On the canadian website however "GX w/convenience package" is available with the manual transmission and… all colors are also selectable, not just silver, grey and black with the 6MT.

Late/limited availability maybe ?

Last edited:
I checked out the Mazda UK website last night and was surprised to see 6 different engine combinations with only one being petrol. You can get a 6 spd manual in AWD with a Skyactiv Diesel which is the exact model I want. Just think, we could have had that if those doggone patriots back in 1775 had joined with the bloody conservatives and sided with the British. Blimey!

With the current diesel price (higher than premium), I don't think diesel vehicles will do well in the U.S.

Having 6mt with AWD is just a matter of market demand. There just isn't much of a market for it in the U.S., unfortunately. Mazda offers the 6mt/FWD for the sole purpose of a low starting price and best fuel economy number - the fact that it's a very nice 6mt is because the rest of the world gets it. I think unless you have to deal with a lot of hills, FWD with good winter tires would be just fine.

Yea, the take rate on manuals is terrible in the states. We're talking what, 5%? Its probably getting even lower.

I'm wondering if there's going to be a day where they're just not available - for example, new Ford Fusion? Only one engine option with the manual. And its the 1.6 Turbo so its probably for fuel economy numbers.

Cross the border and buy a manual one from here with the options missing ! ;) Kidding aside, I wonder if that would be possible.

I know that for us Canadians, to buy a car from the US is a legal and tax nightmare back in the country but it is doable for the willing with lots of money and patience…

Last edited:
I know that for us Canadians, to buy a car from the US is a legal and tax nightmare back in the country but it is doable for the willing with lots of money and patience[/QUOTE]

No such luck. From personal experience in 2011 I can confirm that it is not possible for a Canadian citizen who is also a Canadian resistant to purchase a new Mazda in the US. The price differential between US and Cdn models would leave our dealers at too much of a disadvantage and thus corporate prevents US dealers from making the sale with a franchise loss threat.

What you can do is buy used. There is no control. Last May I bought a 2010 MX-5 GT Mazda Certified Used from a dealer in North Carolina. When you include the costs for air fare, hotels, gas, HST, and duty (charged and paid at the border as it was not assembled in NA) I still saved 17k$ over buying 2011 new locally.

What you can do is buy used. There is no control. Last May I bought a 2010 MX-5 GT Mazda Certified Used from a dealer in North Carolina. When you include the costs for air fare, hotels, gas, HST, and duty (charged and paid at the border as it was not assembled in NA) I still saved 17k$ over buying 2011 new locally.
Shouldn't be too much trouble to find somebody to buy a brand new car for you and sell it to you the very next day (or a week) after he/she gets the title.

What is the price difference between US and Canadian models on-road?
From what I've believe the prices to be, both Canada and the US are significantly lower than nearly all other CX-5's globally (even Japan).

To give you a shock, the GT AWD Petrol (which in Australia is fully optioned up) is USD $48,419 with all insurance, registration, taxes and charges included. Which is thankfully shy of the average salary of $65,000 - so it's considered affordable.

Last edited:
What is the price difference between US and Canadian models on-road?
From what I've believe the prices to be, both Canada and the US are significantly lower than nearly all other CX-5's globally (even Japan).

To give you a shock, the GT AWD Petrol (which in Australia is fully optioned up) is USD $48,419 with all insurance, registration, taxes and charges included. Which is thankfully shy of the average salary of $65,000 - so it's considered affordable.

I guess we're somewhat lucky to have the pricing we have, it is much lower than Australia as you can see below.

However, when you add up all fees and taxes, it adds up to about 41000$ (assuming you paid MSRP for a GT w/tech model) plus annual government registration fees ~200$ in qc. Add to that insurance, which varies a lot depending on your driving experience but let's say ~1000$/year on the higher end of the scale, and it ends up being not too far from 48k$ in total. Are your insurances and other fees calculated annually in Australia or up front when you buy the vehicle ?

Canadian average salaries (2005/2009): http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil21a-eng.htm

Canadian pricing: http://mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsPricing&vehicleCode=CX5

Detailed canadian specs and options: http://www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/pdf/specs/specs_CX5_en.pdf

Last edited:
Are your insurances and other fees calculated annually in Australia or up front when you buy the vehicle?

Insurance is broken into:
1. Compulsory Third Party - which is annual and must be paid before registration. Both are part of the vehicle price.
2. Comprehensive Insurance - which is addition to the above and must be paid in addition to the vehicle price (because it's optional)

Regarding average salaries, $65,000 is an individual average salary. The average family is said to fall anywhere between $100,000 to $150,000 per annum.
It's particularly more in Sydney where many families would be above $150,000.

But to balance this, we're also screwed with the average house price being anywhere between $650,000 and $700,000.

I think unless you have to deal with a lot of hills, FWD with good winter tires would be just fine.

After driving the manual CX-5, I was hooked on that 6-spd, but had reservations about not being able to get AWD. About two weeks ago I had to drive my wife's TSX to Mt. Hood to check out my daughter's choice for a wedding site (Timberline Lodge - it was awesome). The road to Mt Hood had about 2 or 3 inches of snow and the car did fine, but the 6 mile road from the highway to the lodge was uphill and covered with about a foot of the white stuff. Chains were advised, but I couldn't find a place to pull over so I pressed on and luckily made it to the lodge. I dropped the family, then drove to the parking area and decided to chain up before going in to join them inside. There were tons of skiers with all manor of vehicles in the parking lot. I hurriedly chained up as a light snow fell, then walked to the lodge, checking out the chaining jobs of other drivers to see if my chainup skills looked reasonable. That's when I noticed that many front drive cars had studded tires, but no chains. I have arrived at the conclusion, that unless I took up snowboarding during my rapidly approaching retirement years, it wasn't likely that I was going to need much more than a good set of winter tires and that the FWD should be fine.

I thought the grey looked really good but my wife didn't like it for some reason. We ended up going with the silver as it was on the lot and my wife liked it.

It really is a shame that we can't get the other colors, the 40/20/40 rear which fold down flat, or so many other options with the 6MT. Maybe Mazda will give more options for the next year US market if the exchange rate gets better?

I agree. For some of the ski areas in WA with lower elevation (Stevens Pass, Snoqualmie Pass) the roads are plowed regularly, most vehicles make up there with all season tires (many do have AWD). I think CX-5 FWD with winter tires would do fine with occasional ski trips. Studded tires are too much of a compromise for regular driving - unless one goes to the snow covered areas (not plowed) weekly.

I purchased a zeal red mica GX w/convenience package. I was able to negotiate about $1,000 off the MSRP at Gyro Mazda in Toronto (it worked out to just under $29K with taxes and fees included). I love the 6 sp MT, but have noticed the issue with 4th gear not always shifting smoothly.

Last edited:
Back