Wagner vs. Spool vs. HiBoost

sicp5

:
2002 protege5
First off, thanks for the warm welcome and the prompt responses. I have spent alot of time researching turbo kits for the P5 and those of you who are familiar w/ Spool know that they were claiming numbers upwards of 260 whp for their stage three kit. Nobody else seems to be producing those high numbers. All of you that have responded to my first thread said you were REALLY happy w/ your particular kits. So that is promising.

For the guy w/ the Wagner kit; what kind of power are you getting? And what about the HiBoost?

One more ? and I promise that I will stop w/ the super-long posts!

Does anybody know who was producing the management system for the Spool turbo?

Thanks again.

I know that spool went out of business that is why i am looking at other kits. Also I can't find this Speed turbo. Where can I find some info on it?

So you got the spool kit. What stage? and do you know how i can get ahold of the guy who ran it, I lost his number?

You can also try Japtrix in Lake Worth, Fla. They have a good kit that develops 235whp at around 10 psi. If I remember their kit starts around $2700 for non intercooled to about $3800 for the FMIC Kit

sicp5 said:
So you got the spool kit. What stage? and do you know how i can get ahold of the guy who ran it, I lost his number?

When I bought it, it was stage 3. Now it was stage 2, to become stage 3 I need engine management. That will be close to 250whp.
Now I believe I must be pushing 160-190

igdrasil said:
When I bought it, it was stage 3. Now it was stage 2, to become stage 3 I need engine management. That will be close to 250whp.
Now I believe I must be pushing 160-190

what type of management are you looking at?

-B

Is there anyway to get the engine management unit that spool was using? I liked it 'cause it was piggyback/standalone. Programable =)

azian6er said:
what type of management are you looking at?

-B

haltech, electromotive or.....

A MSP ECU: This is plug n play "boost safe" up to 10psi which is what I want. If I want more, I may add an FMU maybe 4:1 to help push more fuel and raise the boost. It will not be power wise...but its ok for me running rich.

also waiting to see what perfworks is working on

Not excited about the FM kit? May I ask why? No offense to any of the other companies that are producing kits for the protege- but I don't think any of them have as much mazda experience as fm. Not to mention the kit was designed by Corky Bell. :)

From what I can see- all the dyno numbers are around the same unless you get something like the microtech and plan on running 14+ psi. But around 7-8 psi all the kits will probably produce around the same #'s.

Sorry. No offense to those of you who do have the FM kit. Dont get me wrong, Bell is good s***, I just think they could have done a little better. To answer your ? I dont like the skimpy intercooler and I dont like the idea of having to run more than 7# of boost to get 200 whp. Thank you smp3000 you answered the question I asked twice in this thread already! MICROTECH

i think hiboost is the best kit. from what i have heard, its the most reliable and it puts out 214 whp at its stock settings. they were rated at 260whp and 300tq at 14 psi on 100 octane

sicp5 said:
Sorry. No offense to those of you who do have the FM kit. Dont get me wrong, Bell is good s***, I just think they could have done a little better. To answer your ? I dont like the skimpy intercooler and I dont like the idea of having to run more than 7# of boost to get 200 whp. Thank you smp3000 you answered the question I asked twice in this thread already! MICROTECH

I called FM about the Microtech and they had researched this unit for thier purposes and found it to be a very barebones unit - no closed loop tuning and only moderate open loop tuning. If you're really interested in computer management, then the Haltech from HiBoost is in my mind your best bet. I am considering it for my own purposes based on conversations I had with FM about the Haltech's functionality. FM themselves are looking to go with a Link system like the ones they use on the Miata.

The intercooler has been proven to be as efficient and in many cases more efficient than the overblown big front mounts out there based on the path and endtank design of it. This has been covered in great detail. FM has designed a big front mount upgrade for the kit, but they do not expect it to show any differences in terms of power.

you're in the chicago area? perhaps you'll come out to one of our meets and i can change your impression of this kit with a ride :)?

Back