VTCS Check valve problem

slavrenz

:
2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum so I'm hoping for a little bit of help here. I'm writing about the green and black VTCS delay valve that sits on the top left part of the intake manifold (looking from the front of the car). My shop manual says this is supposed to have air blowing through it in one direction, but I can't get air to go through in either direction.

My question is this - would it do any harm to remove this valve and do a straight connection between the two hoses? If so, is it harming my engine that the current check valve is not working? The part is about $35 from the dealership, and I'm a poor, poor college student who doesn't want to spend money on unecessary stuff.

Thanks in advance! (dance)

Nobody has an idea? From what I've read, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on the VTCS in the Proteges - can one of you please help me?

Thanks, but I don't really have the time to remove the VTCS and port the manifold, and I don't really mind the lack of power. Is there anyone who knows what the function of the delay valve is and if it would be harmful to remove it?

This is just a shot in the dark, but I really can't see any potential problem (mechanically) with bypassing that valve. If all it does is controls when the VTCS butterflies open, then you'll either be opening them eariler or later. Mine are gone completely.

When you say you can't get air to blow through it- are you taking it completely off the vehicle and trying to blow/suck air through the valve? Or are you trying to diagnose it on the vehicle?

This is just a shot in the dark, but I really can't see any potential problem (mechanically) with bypassing that valve. If all it does is controls when the VTCS butterflies open, then you'll either be opening them eariler or later. Mine are gone completely.

When you say you can't get air to blow through it- are you taking it completely off the vehicle and trying to blow/suck air through the valve? Or are you trying to diagnose it on the vehicle?

Blowing through it off of the vehicle. I don't have a vacuum pump, but my shop manual says you are supposed to be able to blow through it in one direction. I replaced it yesterday with a straight piece of hose connector, and no problems yet. Keep your fingers crossed!

Back