vibration problems

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
ok so i was chasing a vibration issue nothing could be found wrong ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, swaybar links etc all checked out good so did wheel bearings and tire/wheel balance , cv axles helped tremendously (as one appeared to have seized on passenger side, however it still had a vibration around 60-65mph so on a hunch i lowered my tire pressure from what i had been running at about 33psi in each tire to 30psi in each tire, it rode smoother but it had a noticeable amount of weight on it after that, the car felt sluggish and steering too heavy so i went to 32psi as the door states (my old protege 5 said 32 psi on door for oe wheels as well but ran better and smoother at 34) but the 3 runs best at 32 and mazda got that one right, i know that may sound like a no duh, but the old mazda i had was not right at 32psi and ran better on 34 and almost all the nissans i have ever owned liked higher than door placard recommended on tire pressure by about a pound or 2. so i figured this car would ride smoother that way and was using 33 to try it. but man is this car sensitive to tire pressure changes as now it does not vibrate at all.

I'll have to say that I've never experienced an increase or decrease of vibration that was due to changes in tire pressure. I have had tires that vibrated, no matter what the tire pressure, but that was at least 20-25 years ago. My most recent vibration issue was due to the Konig Brite Lite wheels on my 89 MX6 GT.

yeah it seems the 3 (or maybe just mine) is very sensitive to tire pressure changes, as the cv axles made 85-90% of it go away but it still vibrated some but then adjusting the pressure fixed the rest, ive never had a car this sensitive to tire pressure change either, its odd i know.

Back