Vibrant Cold Air Intake (CAI)?

amsgator

03.5 Protege5
:
Yellow '03 5-Speed MP5
Has anyone used the vibrant CAI? I was looking at the picture and I don't see where the bend is to allow it to go into the fenderwell.

air_intake_polished.jpg

the price is nice...and i can actually afford it. :) the only thing is...will it fit? it claims its for the p5....

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/p...668&partid=15&makeid=16&modelid=291&year=2003

is that just a generic picture maybe and not a p5 specific picture? only thing i can think of. i really want to get it though since it's only 90 bux and has free shipping. will this add anymore than an SRI or about the same?

that looks like a generic picture, and at that price, the filter is probably crap

most intakes get the same gains, however, CAI are less prone to heatsoak, which means their gains will be more consistent as you drive.

for example, the AEM SRI i have right now works best in the morning, when i first start her up cold. but once the ambient temperature rises, oxygen becomes less dense due to heat, and it wont preform as well as it did when you first start up the car.

the idea of CAI is to suck in air that is always cooler then the air near the engine, thus getting more consistent gains

i already have a K&N on my sri, i was just thinking about switching over. but if i wont get ne difference i wont bother

yea i definately notice the difference when i first start her up. i am thinkin about getting it, but i will have to wait about a month or so because i just bought a header so i gotta wait for some more $$ to ring in

amsgator said:
has anyone had an sri before and switched to cai and found much of a benefit?

It's probably not a really fair comparison (in general) as the CAI filter tends to be "tiny" wereas the SRI filter can be a whole lot bigger. The airflow itself would not be the same.

However.....(hear ya)

I have a custom system concept similar to this:

RC-5052AS.jpg

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

Basically it's a heatshield housing around a filter and you drop a snorkel for cold air pickup.

My "system" also has a bit of ram air effect.

What have I noticed?

With the SRI, pull is a little more decent up to say 160 kph (about 100mph), then the car struggles to pull more. Pretty much like stock.

With my SRI+heatshield+cold air+ram air, I get more pull in the first 3 gears right up to redline than with just my SRI. When I hit 4th, I believe the P5 aerodynamics takes over more and drag rears it's ugly head.

But I still get even more throttle response than with my SRI, and a bit more pull in 5th say after 130 kph up to 180 kph (not greased lightning as I have stock internals). I have yet to do a top speed test.

I have to be careful as anything more than 120 kph and my fuel economy gets worse. I was told that with more cold air, our computers compensate by increasing fuel to the engine. Our cars go full rich apparently around 120 kph.

Nothing here is scientific as our weather has been going up and down lately, and I just switched out of my summer tires.

When a track day comes up, I'll be able to tell you more.

ummmm. it has to be a generic picture becuz there suppose to be a split for the MAF sensor..

Action Jackson said:
It's probably not a really fair comparison (in general) as the CAI filter tends to be "tiny" wereas the SRI filter can be a whole lot bigger. The airflow itself would not be the same.

However.....(hear ya)

I have a custom system concept similar to this:

RC-5052AS.jpg

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

Basically it's a heatshield housing around a filter and you drop a snorkel for cold air pickup.

My "system" also has a bit of ram air effect.

What have I noticed?

With the SRI, pull is a little more decent up to say 160 kph (about 100mph), then the car struggles to pull more. Pretty much like stock.

With my SRI+heatshield+cold air+ram air, I get more pull in the first 3 gears right up to redline than with just my SRI. When I hit 4th, I believe the P5 aerodynamics takes over more and drag rears it's ugly head.

But I still get even more throttle response than with my SRI, and a bit more pull in 5th say after 130 kph up to 180 kph (not greased lightning as I have stock internals). I have yet to do a top speed test.

I have to be careful as anything more than 120 kph and my fuel economy gets worse. I was told that with more cold air, our computers compensate by increasing fuel to the engine. Our cars go full rich apparently around 120 kph.

Nothing here is scientific as our weather has been going up and down lately, and I just switched out of my summer tires.

When a track day comes up, I'll be able to tell you more.

that snorkel though would greatly reduce the amount of air able to be taken in... where do you lead the snorkel?

amsgator said:
that snorkel though would greatly reduce the amount of air able to be taken in... where do you lead the snorkel?

If I had that Apollo system, I'd run it down where the CAI would normally be (in front of the driver's side wheel well).

If the snorkel were long enough, you could theoretically run it down that hole, and snake it towards behind the lower grill to receive cold air, and possibly achieve a ram air effect. (that is my next project).

The problem is that you can pickup water, snow and debris if the snorkel is hung very low and into the path of oncoming air.

what is the standard size pipe for a cai? my filter is 3 in inlet and i cant find out how big that cai pipe is :(

3 inch i think is the standard, my custom SRI i used a 3 inch filter (ractive) and got some fair gains just over that, and some noise

i have a Bomz SRI, was thinkin about gettin this but i think i am gonna stop puttin money into her so i can save for a new car after i graduate

I'll sell you the Simota CAI for the same price...$89.00 shipped.
I've sold lots of them here and people like them.

Protephile said:
I'll sell you the Simota CAI for the same price...$89.00 shipped.
I've sold lots of them here and people like them.

post some pics plz? does it fit the p5 perfectly (other than maybe relocating the coolant bottle)

Back