Very faint high pitched "mosquito" sound

Would be nice if this turned into a TSB. Going to a dealer with “I found a thread on a forum where some guy got his fixed” probably won’t work so well.

I’ve just been turning up the volume. I do still find it annoying after a year.

Would be nice if this turned into a TSB. Going to a dealer with “I found a thread on a forum where some guy got his fixed” probably won’t work so well.

I’ve just been turning up the volume. I do still find it annoying after a year.

yeah my thoughts exactly, but at least you could narrow it down for them and they will do the work. Only question is what kind of insulation did they use and where?

I got busy yesterday, so was unable to get this scheduled. The response from my dealer suggested comparing my sound to that of one on their lot. If they were the same, it's considered 'normal'. They would then have to work with Mazda for further directions. A TSB would be the ideal situation - where all dealers would know the issue - and also the particulars on resolution. I'm guessing that many of us could DIY - but until we have someone who has before/after pictures, it will be harder. I can't imagine that the fix described in my original post is that difficult!

Last edited:
Well, after getting back from my trip, I got a chance to chat with my local service rep. Although her email indicated interest, when I inquired further on next steps - she said my noise was already diagnosed and was determined to be 'normal'. Stated that she couldn't proceed to Mazda when the sound was in all other similar vehicles. I tried to explain that sometimes a design issue doesn't show itself until the real world - and thus 'normal' while present everywhere may not be what was intended by the designers. I asked nicely if she'd at least be my advocate with Mazda and to confirm that they had indeed heard the noise. Back to the 'we can't approach Mazda and say we heard something abnormal when it was normal' I told her that I simply wanted them to confirm that they heard the noise - not whether it was normal or not. She just wouldn't go there. I shared that this wasn't going the way I'd hoped - and could you please provide the Mazda customer service number. Of course, she mumbled that they had lots of numbers and it's in the manual....and then proceeded to give me the wrong number. I had to call back to get the correct one.

But, I finally got the number and called Mazda customer service. That's where it stands now. This won't be easy (the post that I learned this from had 5 managers, regional and corporate Mazda involved before getting it resolved). But, they posted enough information that I knew what dealer they were working with - and shared that with Mazda customer service. Hopefully they can contact that dealer and avoid a lot of redundant effort. Once we get a few of these resolved, this should be widespread enough at Mazda corporate so that a TSB or similar notification is made to all dealers - and hopefully not all of you will need to go through this runaround in the future.

Stay tuned!

Stated that she couldn't proceed to Mazda when the sound was in all other similar vehicles.

For goodness sake, they don't issue recalls because of a problem with only one vehicle. I've never seen a TSB because one owner out in Piscataway had an issue. I'd laugh at her statement if it weren't so chock full of "Get out of my face."

Good for you for staying on top of this. I had my first dealer visit yesterday for routine maintenance and an issue with hive-like bumps on one panel of my driver's seat. They were not as prominent as they had been and I was afraid I would get the same treatment that you did. The guy said he could see what I was talking about, took some pics and sent them to Mazda for a response. No hassle whatsoever.

So they gave me a hard time about checking the tranny fluid when I asked, but didn't push back at all on this potential warranty issue. I'm about 85% satisfied with this dealer so far.

I had some problems , one was a high pitched noise/whine from 20-40mph
and one where the auto shift from 3rd to 2nd to 1st was strange
going from 20mph to 10mph you can feel the engine or trans pull the
cx5 speed down a lot , then at 10mph it releases , and it coasts normal after that.
I posted all this in another thread....
When I took it to the dealer the head mechanic drove with me , heard the 2 concerns that
I had, and said they all do that. He let me drive another cx5 and it made the
same noise and shift problem.
1400 miles later still have both problems..., it's like the reflection in the
windows, I've ignored it and that works sometimes..
Have to go to 1year free service check up in a few weeks, so might bring these
issues up again.......

I had some problems , one was a high pitched noise/whine from 20-40mph
and one where the auto shift from 3rd to 2nd to 1st was strange
going from 20mph to 10mph you can feel the engine or trans pull the
cx5 speed down a lot , then at 10mph it releases , and it coasts normal after that.
I posted all this in another thread....
When I took it to the dealer the head mechanic drove with me , heard the 2 concerns that
I had, and said they all do that. He let me drive another cx5 and it made the
same noise and shift problem.
1400 miles later still have both problems..., it's like the reflection in the
windows, I've ignored it and that works sometimes..
Have to go to 1year free service check up in a few weeks, so might bring these
issues up again.......
I was going to say "Mine doesn't do that," but the NAs, the turbos and the diesels all have different transmissions.

Just thought I'd throw that out as you're working through the issue and others are giving you input. Some of this stuff can be frustrating when we know in our guts that things are not right, but we're being told "it's by design." Weird that the other CX-5 does the same thing...it just does not sound right.

I heard back from my local dealer. Mazda corporate called them and I now have an appointment for next Tuesday. Even still, the voicemail from the service person at the dealership is still cautioning that "we may not be able to do anything about this sound. " If I ran a service department, I'd be more upbeat with my customers - and then if unsuccessful, then at least say you tried. To go in so negative just sounds defeatist to me.

If it's like the person in the post I found elsewhere, it was a long process to isolate and then resolve. Hopefully their data can get back to my tech - and shorten the time-frame for my hoped for resolution. But I'll keep you all updated. More to follow next week.

I agree about the negative tone of service schedulers.

Mine gave me a hard time about checking the transmission fluid and said "Even if it's low we won't top it off," and then they told me that checking it was part of the free standard "Full Circle Service Inspection."

When I asked to have the infotainment software updated, she said "We can do it, but it may not fix your problem" in an "It's not gonna work" tone.

These public-facing people need to get a clue.
Gotta wonder where their bosses are...

I hope you get your issue resolved. I'd be extra-frustrated if I knew a resolution had been identified and I could not get it implemented.

i emailed my contact at mazda corporate, hopefully there would be some fix or some notes they can forward to each dealer that experience this issue...will keep you posted if anything pops up

i emailed my contact at mazda corporate, hopefully there would be some fix or some notes they can forward to each dealer that experience this issue...will keep you posted if anything pops up

This is what I like about these forums. Lots of helpful people! (y)

These are the things that should manifest themselves in Engineering Change Notices. Buying brackets lined with an insulating material would do the trick.

But understandably, these things can't "just happen."

I went to the dealer today. For whatever reason, the noise was mostly not present. It was even tough for me to hear it - and I know what to listen for. Not sure if it related to the cold temps overnight. I could barely hear it when stopped - and even when I heard it, it was faint and then would disappear.

So, the good news is that the noise is not as loud (although I can't NOT hear it even when it is slight). It will need to be worse so the tech can hear it and go forward. They did promise to work with Mazda still by reporting their findings. The master tech was super nice and said that they may even know of this noise - and perhaps we could still proceed if it's similar to mine. But, they have to hear the noise to know it's the same one. I know it is - but it's super faint right now.

Obviously I'll keep monitoring this to determine conditions where my chances of reproducing this for the tech are good. Hopefully someone else could work on their end with their dealer to keep this on the Mazda corporate radar.

One thing to remember is that if the pitch is high, you might hear it while others can't. You could request the youngest person available at dealer tries to hear it when you can. We lose high pitch hearing as we age.

I teach gr 5, and to illustrate this for them I play beeps that increase in pitch. Eventually I can't hear while they can...they can go on for several "increases". And then some of them start to lose the sound before others, not sure if male/female has something to do with it. Tried it with dearest mum, and poor lady couldn't get past first couple levels!

Good point about younger person. I'll give the dealership credit, the master tech grabbed a younger tech because his hearing was better. I'm 60 - so likely older than the master tech (35 years at the job) and I could hear it - but only because I knew what to listen for. But it was hard to hear today.

Good point about younger person. I'll give the dealership credit, the master tech grabbed a younger tech because his hearing was better. I'm 60 - so likely older than the master tech (35 years at the job) and I could hear it - but only because I knew what to listen for. But it was hard to hear today.
What was the outside temperature at the time?

I barely notice it in the warmer months.

Back