Valve gasket scam

:
Mazda cx-5
I recently had my 2014 CX5 at the dealership for fresh trans fluid and an engine oil change (140,000 mi). The car was in the shop overnight and I had a loaner car. Coincidentally during this 2-day time period my cell phone crapped out and I bought a new one. When I turned it on, I noticed like 3 or 4 messages from the service manager trying to get a hold of me regarding my car. Turns out my car had a leaky valve gasket and he wanted to know if I wanted them to do the service while the car was in the shop. Initially I was concerned, but didn't recall smelling any burning oil coming off the exhaust manifold. I told him "no thanks" because I was on my way to pickup the car and secondly because he wanted over $200 to do it. After getting my car, I pulled the engine cover and ran my fingers along the backside of the valve gasket near the pcv where he indicated the leak was located. I FOUND NOTHING! There was no leak. SOB tried to scam me. I wonder how many valve gaskets get replaced when not needed? I bet various dealerships have tons of replacements, while others not so much. Just wanted to through that out there.

I'm ashamed I didn't say this before:

Go back and ask the guy to show you why he made that recommendation...not to get into his face, but to make sure there's not some misunderstanding or honest error.

Go back and ask the guy to show you why he made that recommendation...not to get into his face, but to make sure there's not some misunderstanding or honest error.

I would do this as well. Maybe he just cleaned it off after you declined the work?

That is a pretty blatant cheat. An oil leak is visible so an owner can confirm it or not just by looking. I too would go back and ask them what they saw without being rude. I would do this:
"Hi, I was told that my valve cover gasket was leaking. I am not ready to have it changed yet, can the tech show me the leak and tell me if it is okay for me to continue driving my car for a little bit longer?"
The thing is, be prepared to have it changed. It might really be leaking enough to be a problem.

Was probably a long term slow evolving seep that he wiped off. Normal in many cars. Now if it was leaking..........

That is a pretty blatant cheat. An oil leak is visible so an owner can confirm it or not just by looking. I too would go back and ask them what they saw without being rude. I would do this:
"Hi, I was told that my valve cover gasket was leaking. I am not ready to have it changed yet, can the tech show me the leak and tell me if it is okay for me to continue driving my car for a little bit longer?"
The thing is, be prepared to have it changed. It might really be leaking enough to be a problem.
I have always requested this, and my Mazda dealer has always shown me the various things. Never once did I disagree after seeing the evidence at hand.

The is a gasket on top of the valve cover that leaks, its for the oil control valve. Those leak very slow.and on top of the valve cover so it doesn't spill down on the hot surfaces so you wouldn't smell it.

OP story seems odd - I'm not saying it's not true, just odd behavior/rant. If "he was on his way to pick up the car" wouldn't 10 out of 10 of us thought - Perfect time for "hey, while I'm here, can you show me the leak you found?".

The oil valve gasket is on the top left of the engine
20210121_141828_HDR.jpg

^theres a picture of where mine leaked at, it was suggested to replace the OCV, ocv gasket, and valve cover gasket because one guy I spoke with had replaced the OCV gasket and head cover gasket only and it turned out to be the OCV valve itself that was leaking. So I replaced all 3.

Have you removed the top engine insulator/cover and inspected the valve cover yourself? Just recently I found ours was pretty wet with oil all over it. Some was coming from the gasket portions around the spark plug holes, around the edges, and the oil control valve itself.

Keep in mind that I never saw any wetness underneath when doing oil changes, or smelled anything dripping on the exhaust. But the valve cover itself sure was messy. I installed a new OEM Mazda valve cover gasket and OCV gasket last weekend. With parts retail prices, the time it takes to clean up the valve cover itself, and the gasket mating surface on the head, apply the new sealant to the head and then install the gasket back in place, I can definitely see it being $200 with shop labor rates.

I'm hoping this will at least somewhat reduce the oil consumption/loss I've been seeing between oil changes.

Thankfully for me, my own labor is free. :ROFLMAO:

Our Lexus RX400h needed valve cover gaskets at about 125,000 miles. We did smell burning oil after the leak had been there for a while so don't discount the possibility that it was there. I agree with the others that you should ask the technician to show you where it is. They should've taken a photo to text to you.
But yes, 125,000+ miles is a good life for a valve cover gasket. It wouldn't surprise me if it is seeping slightly.

I would do this as well. Maybe he just cleaned it off after you declined the work?
Yeah, ya know, if he was scamming wouldn't he dab a little oil where he said the leak was? Rather than assume a misdeed questions are in order.

Back