US Diesel's big splash introduction

That is from some facebook post. Honestly, there are some people just waiting for Mazda to fail. If this was widespread, I am sure you would be hearing about it.
(iagree) 100%
??? Already mentioned the overheating report was not from FaceBook posts but was reported by local newspaper:

Based on what the links I provided are only from FaceBook posts? The first link was a news report from one of the largest newspaper, The Liberty Times (自由時報), in Taiwan!

Mazda 柴油車引擎出問題,馬自達:總社調查中並提供免費檢修!

I’m running a diesel. The thought of a minor failure let alone a catastrophic failure has never entered my mind.

I’m not in the least bit concerned.

??? Already mentioned the overheating report was not from FaceBook posts but was reported by local newspaper:

Why only Thailand if you’re so certain that these failures are indicative of a general failure. It’s a tiny market for diesels.

For the umpteenth time, it's not a major issue worldwide yet.

No more doom and gloom please.

Think it's time to move on.

Why do you find informative posts and facts as doom and gloom?

Because of the way the entire worldwide stock (current included) of the 2.2 Diesel engine is being portrayed as problematic when main issues (oil, overheating and others) were primarily related to 2012-2016 2.2D.

We don't yet have enough data to state that the diesel engine from KF series onwards experience major issues like the KE diesels did.

Information and facts is one thing but painting all engines (KE, KF and now KF/KG) in the same boat is incorrect.

Until we get widespread, worldwide issues, there is no need to project doom and gloom, panic or negativity. Issues if they exist should be highlighted in a constructive way and in perspective. In this case, it is 2 countries and looks like the previous series (KE). This doesn't mean the KF & KG will experience the same sort of issues which is what is currently being inferred.

No head in the sand here - just stating the facts aka not a widespread issue at this stage and just because something happened in the past, doesn't mean will happen again in the future. Fine to read as a reference point but that is all

Last edited:
Why only Thailand if youre so certain that these failures are indicative of a general failure. Its a tiny market for diesels.
Well I read the news from Taiwan, not Thailand. They're two different countries in Asia although the weather and environment are similar. The overheating report from Taiwan mentioned Mazda in Thailand offered extended warranty on diesel for CX-5 due to the same overheating issue and those CX-5 owners in Taiwan have been asking Mazda in Taiwan doing the same. Mazda in Taiwan promised those CX-5 owners after a protest that they'll get some answers and resolutions from Mazda headquarter in Japan about overheating issue in September last year but so far they get no answers. In the mean time Mazda in Taiwan stopped offering all diesels in Taiwan for 2019 MY due to the bad image already created and lack of resolution from Mazda Japan.

I've said before the overheating problem on SkyActiv-D with some miles could be related to hot and humid environment along with stop-and-go traffic in these areas. But the engine overheating without any warning and lack of resolution from Mazda headquarter are my concerns especially if I live in a hot and humid environment such as Houston when Mazda eventually makes the diesel available in the US.

I've only answered the question earlier about the diesel with the information I have and the facts. If someone considered these information and facts are "negative" and shouldn't be here, I think he only wants to bury his head in the sand.

Well I read the news from Taiwan, not Thailand. They're two different countries in Asia although the weather and environment are similar. The overheating report from Taiwan mentioned Mazda in Thailand offered extended warranty on diesel for CX-5 due to the same overheating issue and those CX-5 owners in Taiwan have been asking Mazda in Taiwan doing the same. Mazda in Taiwan promised those CX-5 owners after a protest that they'll get some answers and resolutions from Mazda headquarter in Japan about overheating issue in September last year but so far they get no answers. In the mean time Mazda in Taiwan stopped offering all diesels in Taiwan for 2019 MY due to the bad image already created and lack of resolution from Mazda Japan.

I've said before the overheating problem on SkyActiv-D with some miles could be related to hot and humid environment along with stop-and-go traffic in these areas. But the engine overheating without any warning and lack of resolution from Mazda headquarter are my concerns especially if I live in a hot and humid environment such as Houston when Mazda eventually makes the diesel available in the US.

I've only answered the question earlier about the diesel with the information I have and the facts. If someone considered these information and facts are "negative" and shouldn't be here, I think he only wants to bury his head in the sand.
I concur... this is exactly how VW responded to DSG and Diesel issues in Taiwan... by not responding.

If you want to hang your hat on something that happened somewhere where there is a media report of an issue but ignore the thousands that run faultlessly in the rest of the world, crack on.

Because of the way the entire worldwide stock (current included) of the 2.2 Diesel engine is being portrayed as problematic when main issues (oil, overheating and others) were primarily related to 2012-2016 2.2D.

We don't yet have enough data to state that the diesel engine from KF series onwards experience major issues like the KE diesels did.

Information and facts is one thing but painting all engines (KE, KF and now KF/KG) in the same boat is incorrect.

Until we get widespread, worldwide issues, there is no need to project doom and gloom, panic or negativity. Issues if they exist should be highlighted in a constructive way and in perspective. In this case, it is 2 countries and looks like the previous series (KE). This doesn't mean the KF & KG will experience the same sort of issues which is what is currently being inferred.

No head in the sand here - just stating the facts aka not a widespread issue at this stage and just because something happened in the past, doesn't mean will happen again in the future. Fine to read as a reference point but that is all

"looks like the previous series (KE). " That isn't a fact though is it, as the 2017 onwards has barely put miles up on the engines, I think you are being hopeful rather than baseing any of your comments on facts.

Last edited:
If you want to hang your hat on something that happened somewhere where there is a media report of an issue but ignore the thousands that run faultlessly in the rest of the world, crack on.
Firstly the "something" you mentioned isn't just a media report of an issue, but it's the lack of actions by Mazda Japan for a major concern from its customers no matter how many they are for more than 10 months. Secondly, at which part I ignored others running "faultlessly" (although it's hard to find any product which is "faultless" nowadays) in the rest of the world as I have pointed out the weather and environment could be the cause? Didn't those diesel CX-5 owners here keep telling us don't buy a diesel if the usage is only for frequent short trips? :)

Firstly the "something" you mentioned isn't just a media report of an issue, but it's the lack of actions by Mazda Japan for a major concern from its customers no matter how many they are for more than 10 months. Secondly, at which part I ignored others running "faultlessly" (although it's hard to find any product which is "faultless" nowadays) in the rest of the world as I have pointed out the weather and environment could be the cause? Didn't those diesel CX-5 owners here keep telling us don't buy a diesel if the usage is only for frequent short trips? :)

I don’t know what went on there or both sides of the story. It’s always down to how it’s reported and Mazda would never respond until they’ve gathered the facts. The short trip advice goes with the potential for oil dilution and as KF models don’t dilute, it’s not applicable.

Another consideration is the quality of fuel in these countries plus the general lack of maintenance. It’s not like there is a dealer in every neighborhood.

In one of my stops in SE Asia, I was on a island that was about 80km by 60km. The main city where all the dealerships were located was on one end. Towns would have their “mechanics” but with today’s modern vehicles, any fixing was guesswork.

I dont know what went on there or both sides of the story. Its always down to how its reported and Mazda would never respond until theyve gathered the facts. The short trip advice goes with the potential for oil dilution and as KF models dont dilute, its not applicable.
Here's one side of story for you, the official announcement from Mazda in Taiwan. I used Google translator although it translates "Mazda headquarter" into "Social" for some reason. :)

台灣馬自達汽車聲明稿 - 2017/8/30

台灣馬自達汽車聲明稿 said:
Taiwan Mazda Motor Statement
2017/8/30

Taiwans Mazda Motors (hereinafter referred to as Taiwans Mazda) recently received a return. A small number of high-mileage 2.2-liter diesel engine vehicles experienced high engine water temperatures and overflow of the cooling systems subtank. The phenomenon is rare, so Mazda in Taiwan will Social and technical departments jointly conducted investigations. (Mazda Taiwan will work with Mazda's technical department in Japan for further investigation of this overheating problem.)

Therefore, any vehicle equipped with a 2.2L diesel engine will immediately experience overheating of the engine's water temperature or overflow of the cooling system's subtank (excluding any impact, traffic accident or vehicle modification). Mazda will be free of charge whether or not the vehicle is still under warranty. Carry out inspections and collect relevant information and parts to facilitate the analysis of the causes.

If the owner finds that the engine coolant temperature warning light (red light) is on during driving, turn off the air conditioner and park the vehicle in a safe place, and contact an authorized MAZDA dealer for follow-up service. After the engine body and coolant are running, the temperature is extremely high. Please ask the owner to not open the engine cover by himself when the vehicle display engine overheats. Make sure that it is handled by a professional technician to avoid injury caused by contact with hot gas/liquid.

Mazda Taiwan thank you for your cooperation.

Another consideration is the quality of fuel in these countries plus the general lack of maintenance. Its not like there is a dealer in every neighborhood.

In one of my stops in SE Asia, I was on a island that was about 80km by 60km. The main city where all the dealerships were located was on one end. Towns would have their mechanics but with todays modern vehicles, any fixing was guesswork.
The quality of diesel fuel should be irrelevant to overheating problem.

Taiwan is not a small 80 X 60 km island and there's a Mazda branch office there with good dealer network. The overheating complaints from those CX-5 owners have been using Mazda dealers for routine maintenance, or Mazda dealers would easily use that as an excuse not to do anything for their overheating or blown head gasket problems. Mazda Taiwan has stopped selling its most popular diesel models for 2019, and why is that?

"looks like the previous series (KE). " That isn't a fact though is it, as the 2017 onwards has barely put miles up on the engines, I think you are being hopeful rather than baseing any of your comments on facts.
Just being realistic instead of saying something will happen again because it happened in the past

Latest posts

Back