Upgrading existing Bose System speakers

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
From what I've read the Bose amp is rated at 225 amps with 8 channels. In the future I wish to retain this amp and simply replace the speakers only.

Would anyone know what the ideal ohms rating would be for aftermarket speakers to match this Bose amp?

What are the drop in sizes in inches (no mods required) for Bose equipted CX-5's?

Last question regarding sound deadening. Do you apply on the entire door or just immediate area behind speakers?

Thanks guys.

The best way to sound deaden a door, is to deaden the door skin and also the inside sheet metal of the door. All of the holes that are in the sheet metal should be filled in and deadened over to provide a sealed enclosure for the speakers. It does help, but if all you are doing is replacing the stock speakers, it may be overkill.

Kinda sorta of related. I remember a few years back that a guy who worked at a stereo shop told me that a guy spent about $1K sound deadening his truck with dynomat and then always drove with the windows open. I busted a gut laughing at that one. Haha........

I am loving my BOSE system, and am wondering where you might feel it needs improvement?

I rarely go past volume level 45.

Kinda sorta of related. I remember a few years back that a guy who worked at a stereo shop told me that a guy spent about $1K sound deadening his truck with dynomat and then always drove with the windows open. I busted a gut laughing at that one. Haha........

Wow 1k is a lot. 1 roll of Fatmat costs under $100 and should be sufficient for all 4 doors. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I am loving my BOSE system, and am wondering where you might feel it needs improvement?

I rarely go past volume level 45.

I tweaked my Sony Walkman MP3 player's EQ settings. Then discovered I had the Bose system's volume too low (sub 20) simply because my other car's volume goes up to 30. I guess the Bose system goes up to 50? Anyways the sound is much better now. Good clarity. The speakers need maybe a couple hours for proper break in.

As for sound deadening mat. It helps to improve the existing Bose speakers' sound. It also helps block out road noise (not all of it) plus it provides thermal insulation for your AC or heater.

Last edited:
Guessing most of the cost was labor. When I was told the story it sounded like they pulled seats out and everything and then layerd the stuff on. Sounds like the customer had ocd or something, LOL. Then rode with his windows open, LOL.

I guess he wanted other people in traffic to enjoy his music too lol.

don't quote me on this, because I have no experience with this model or bose's auto products, but for all of their home theater products they use proprietary connections for everything, so you may run into issues connecting bose speakers/amps to non-bose products. again, don't quote me on it but you may run into an issue.

The Bose system volume goes to 63. I can affirm that it is 63 on the 2012 CX-9 Bose, 2011 3 Bose, and the 2013 CX-5 Bose systems.

it doesnt really matter what the max volume is, just about every radio gives the optimum sound at 3/4 max volume. but bose is not that good. also it s a 2ohm system. every aftermarket speaker is 4 ohm, so you will 1) lose power because of the ohm difference and 2) underpower the speaker which causes distortion

I'm bumping this thread to seek knowledge on any possible technology improvement in two years that might make it possible to change at least door speakers on my new CX-5. Yesterday, I was disappointed by the electronics guy who said that these Bose speakers can't be changed.

However, he did fine tune the settings so it does sound a bit better!

I'm bumping this thread to seek knowledge on any possible technology improvement in two years that might make it possible to change at least door speakers on my new CX-5. Yesterday, I was disappointed by the electronics guy who said that these Bose speakers can't be changed.

However, he did fine tune the settings so it does sound a bit better!

What settings now,please?
I'm disappointed with the Bose system too.

Last edited:
So, I'm going to replace the three dash speakers & 4 door speakers but has anyone done the two rear D pillar speakers? Any tips or pics to show how to get at them?

Back