Undecided: CX-5 vs Escape/Edge

Having just had a brake vacuum pump replaced due to premature wear at only 13K uk miles, personally I'm not convinced with Mazda durability.

The Aussies are also having new diesel engines fitted, or new cams again to premature wear.

Apart from these early build problems, there haven't been any issues. If a CX-5 is off the list, what you going to go for?

I just picked up a new one (same as your spec) on Thursday.

EVERY vehicle will experience some type of issues. I don't care if you spend $100k on a high-end car, it will have problems. Walk into any Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, etc. dealership and the service department will be doing warranty work on new vehicles. Electrical, mechanical, whatever, the cars will have issues.

Mazda has great reliability. Most issues will surface within the first 12,000 miles of a new vehicle.

Mazda has great reliability. Most issues will surface within the first 12,000 miles of a new vehicle.
Only after Ford left Mazda's quality improves. But it's not at top level according variety of reviews from world wide. Just saw a reliability review from UK on TV, Honda is at the top, Toyota is the second. Mazda is not even in top 5 but Volvo is. I guess SA-D issues drag Mazda's reliability down in Europe.

Only after Ford left Mazda's quality improves. But it's not at top level according variety of reviews from world wide. Just saw a reliability review from UK on TV, Honda is at the top, Toyota is the second. Mazda is not even in top 5 but Volvo is. I guess SA-D issues drag Mazda's reliability down in Europe.

Mazda is rated fairly high on Consumer Reports.. now I know a lot don't like their reviews but the subscriber submitted reliability reports have been dead on for anything I have owned in the last 25 years and CX-5 seems to be holding it's own in that regard.

Mazda is rated fairly high on Consumer Reports.. now I know a lot don't like their reviews but the subscriber submitted reliability reports have been dead on for anything I have owned in the last 25 years and CX-5 seems to be holding it's own in that regard.
Some people don't like Consumer Reports because they recommended VW Rabbit for new car purchase but ended up it was almost like a lemon after a few years. The magazine even put it on the "Do Not Buy" list later for the used cars after received so many complaints! When Consumer Reports put out an article criticizing Isuzu Trooper has tendency to rollover which kind of killed hot selling Isuzu SUVs, such as Rodeo and Amigo, at the time in US market. But later people found a recording during the rollover test that the editor demanded the test driver tried as hard as he could to roll over the Trooper to no avail. The editor then got on the Trooper by himself and eventually rolled over the trooper. Not saying Trooper would not roll over but at that time ALL SUVs were prone to roll over. But it seems Consumer Reports did have an agenda against Isuzu.

That been said, I still use Consumer Reports to check out reliability on cars for the reason you mentioned.

Some people don't like Consumer Reports because they recommended VW Rabbit for new car purchase but ended up it was almost like a lemon after a few years. The magazine even put it on the "Do Not Buy" list later for the used cars after received so many complaints! When Consumer Reports put out an article criticizing Isuzu Trooper has tendency to rollover which kind of killed hot selling Isuzu SUVs, such as Rodeo and Amigo, at the time in US market. But later people found a recording during the rollover test that the editor demanded the test driver tried as hard as he could to roll over the Trooper to no avail. The editor then got on the Trooper by himself and eventually rolled over the trooper. Not saying Trooper would not roll over but at that time ALL SUVs were prone to roll over. But it seems Consumer Reports did have an agenda against Isuzu.

That been said, I still use Consumer Reports to check out reliability on cars for the reason you mentioned.

My dad still has his '93 Trooper he bought new. Still running great....

IIRC the '95 Troopers and Acura SLX clones were more softly sprung than earlier models and part of the CU report. Regardless... it isn't a vehicle I would want to make too sharp of a turn in at speed.

My dad still has his '93 Trooper he bought new. Still running great....
A friend of mine has a '93 Trooper bought it new too. He still drive it to work daily. It seems a very reliable SUV by Isuzu.

What hurts Mazda is the "INFOTAINMENT" issue. Drivetrain is solid. They lump everything together so the INFOTAINMENT glitch issues hurt Mazda.

Probably another CX-5 sport but this time maybe an Auto, but not sure.

My son takes delivery of a Mazda 3 2L petrol next month, looking at the brochure its nearly as long as my CX-5 which surprised me.

Apart from these early build problems, there haven't been any issues. If a CX-5 is off the list, what you going to go for?

I just picked up a new one (same as your spec) on Thursday.

My previous car it was a 08' VW Rabbit. I had it for almost seven years and I didn't have a single issue with it.

Probably another CX-5 sport but this time maybe an Auto, but not sure.

My son takes delivery of a Mazda 3 2L petrol next month, looking at the brochure its nearly as long as my CX-5 which surprised me.

Before I decided to go with the CX-5 my wife (we are a 1-car family) was worried it was a lot longer than our 2010 Mazda 3GT. While we were shopping a CX-5 parked beside our 3 and we compared the length. The CX-5 looks less than 2" longer.

Last edited:
Are they forged or hypereutectic pistons? what source are you using? Not saying you're wrong but I'm more curious since as someone said its rare for a mass produced engine to use forged pistons. Forged pistons have drawbacks like a higher expansion and higher emissions as a result when cold. To compensate they need to be fitted loose when cold so when they warm up they fit snug. This can make them noisy when started cold. I bet the Ford Escape uses hypereutectic pistons in its turbocharged engines but things have also changed a lot from the days when I used to know a lot about this stuff so they could be Forged too.

hypereutectic piston are much weaker than forged pistons. You can punch a hole in those if you try to run nitrous.

You can find multiple sources searching on "CX-5 forged pistons". Here is one from Edmunds, but a little dated.

" In an unusual move for this class, the pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft are forged."
http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2013/road-test1.html

" In an unusual move for this class, the pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft are forged."
http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2013/road-test1.html

This is why I don't understand people who obsess over little options like memory mirrors, one vs. two trip computer memories etc.

I'm more into well built and engineered engines, chassis and suspensions. Forged crankshaft? That's trick and much more expensive than little electronic doo-dad add-on's. Forged pistons and connecting rods? Yes please, I plan to drive this thing until it cries uncle.

This is why I don't understand people who obsess over little options like memory mirrors, one vs. two trip computer memories etc.

I'm more into well built and engineered engines, chassis and suspensions. Forged crankshaft? That's trick and much more expensive than little electronic doo-dad add-on's. Forged pistons and connecting rods? Yes please, I plan to drive this thing until it cries uncle.

Perfection in this world is not possible. People still seek the unobtainable.

I would rather have forged engine parts over memory mirrors and chairs. Most manufacturers would put in the memory seats but then put in a cast crankshaft to save money.

I question the value of forged this and that, though. Forged pistons vs. hyper pistons are a losing proposition unless you plan on a power adder. They fit sloppier in the bores, and they are often heavier. I simply see zero gain to a forged piston unless it is necessary. It's akin to installing chassis reinforcements on your CX-5. Would it make it more rigid? SURE! But really? Is it necessary? Nah. It would just add weight and cost money.

I am glad the pistons are forged. Safer for tuning and if you plan to boost/do internals the forged parts are already there. Often times forged internals become part of a power build. The turbo kit for the mazda3 is supposed to be announced in September; I'm going to be following it. The car is well engineered and lends itself readily to modifications , and is pretty easy to modify.

Last edited:
I question the value of forged this and that, though. Forged pistons vs. hyper pistons are a losing proposition unless you plan on a power adder. They fit sloppier in the bores, and they are often heavier. I simply see zero gain to a forged piston unless it is necessary. It's akin to installing chassis reinforcements on your CX-5. Would it make it more rigid? SURE! But really? Is it necessary? Nah. It would just add weight and cost money.

I just put my BC racing coilovers on..It was like when I went from stock to h&r's, big difference. Really anything over the base model is unecessary but people want stuff and are willing to pay for it. Any little bit of weight I added has been offset by a lighter replacment (lighter exhaust, lighter intake, lighter wheels+tires) and most of all the tune. Unecessary yes but I wanted it so I paid for it and enjoy my car much more becausen of it. I will even sell you my H&R's for cheap.

(freak) "losing proposition" ??

It's about strength and long term reliability. Cast parts develop stress cracks over time and can fail. This goes into long term usage. At 100,000 miles rotating engine parts have seen a lot of heat cycles and pounding. Cast cranks can flex and break over time. A main bearing will spin usually before it snaps the crank.

Cast pistons can develop holes in them over time and a hole in a piston = dead engine.

I will take the forged bottom end.

Is it just me or are your posts always on the negative side?

(freak) "losing proposition" ??

It's about strength and long term reliability. Cast parts develop stress cracks over time and can fail. This goes into long term usage. At 100,000 miles rotating engine parts have seen a lot of heat cycles and pounding. Cast cranks can flex and break over time. A main bearing will spin usually before it snaps the crank.

Cast pistons can develop holes in them over time and a hole in a piston = dead engine.

I will take the forged bottom end.

Is it just me or are your posts always on the negative side?

You do realize that there are PLENTY of vehicles running around with half a million miles on them that use cast rotating assemblies, right? (My Dad's work van is soon to be one, mid 400's currently) Many of them, actual performance vehicles. My LT1 Trans Am had 170K on it when I sold it, my LS1 Trans Am, 149K. Hyper pistons and cast cranks and rods work JUST FINE.

So do forged, but they pistons must be undersized a bit more, as they expand and contract a bit more. This leads to less efficiency as one might imagine.

Unless you plan on using a power adder, or slinging to insane RPM's, there is absolutely NO reason to use forged pistons. I think Mazda used a forged rotating assy. in this vehicle because of the stratospheric compression ratio and as protection in case of detonation occurring. Hyper pistons don't "develop holes in them over time" unless something bad wrong is going on.

It's not a negative post, it's a call to reality. Forged pistons have more minuses than plusses in normal applications. Stress cracks is SERIOUSLY reaching.

Back